Dear Diary

Dear Diary

Dear Diary, Today I started my blog.

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

I grew up in an era when one shared her thoughts on pages of a diary, which was then locked and hidden. God protect the eyes that trespassed. That changed one afternoon while searching for methods on how to paint kitchen cabinets. I ended up in Kim’s beautiful Twice Remembered home and she “introduced” me to the Palmers and their lovely Lettered Cottage. If you are one of the few people who has not seen these blogs, I encourage you to treat yourself.  Both of these talented women inspired and motivated me to publicly journal our efforts on and about the Fairfield House and the life and love that dwell within it. I hope you enjoy your time here and return often — like life, this blog is a process.

Four years ago today, a life long dream came true. We purchased and took residence in an 1880s Victorian farm house. It is located in the garden of the Garden State, surrounded by protected farmland. I spent the following three years coming and going, traveling two hours each way in commuter traffic to a place I didn’t want to be, doing what I no longer wanted to do (aka work.) On my ‘daze’ off, I played catch up with household duties and social obligations. I had become a spoke in the wheel of progress, passing present moments by while spinning to a future destination. Eventually, the wheel hit a bump in the road and the tire went flat. I ended up in the hospital and while recovering, the financial giant I worked for fell on it’s face as well. God works in ways we will never understand. Becoming one of the eleven million Americans currently unemployed has made my life so much richer. It’s afforded me the opportunity to be where I want to be, doing what I want to do – making this old house our home, caring for those around me and creating. It’s not work. It’s a labor of love.

8 Responses to Dear Diary

1. Twice Remembered November 24, 2009 at 11:13 am #

Darling, you are such a sweetie! Thank you for your kind words…I am so glad you found me and I in turn found you! I finally got to a point this week {just today, ugh!} where I could s t o p, get into my cozy pjs, sit by the fire, and sip on a cup of hot coffee while visiting your site for the first {but certainly not the last!} time! I LOVE finding new blogs in their beginning stages and am going to cozy up and read yours from the beginning!

You have a beautiful way with words, by the way!

{{hugs}}

~Kim

2. Susan G January 3, 2012 at 1:29 am #

Awesome Post Deborah! I loved your inspirational post for new years, but it wouldn’t allow me to get to the actual blog or comment on it. I LOVED that post it was so uplifting and hopeful! Thank you SO MUCH for that! I need inspiration like that from time to time!
    Thank you so much for your friendship!
    Love n hugs,
    Susan

3. Terri January 3, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Happy ew Year Deborah!! I’ve been wondering where you were… :)… When I first stumbled into Blog land…. “Twice Remembered” was the first blog that I saw… then came Daisy Cottage and “The lettered Cottage”!! And… as they say… the rest is history…. I do not have a blog myself but I soooooooo enjoy following all of the amazing creative and talented ladies that do. Blessings to you and yours this 2012!! Terri

4. lisa moran January 3, 2012 at 11:44 am #

This is amazing, Deborah!
    What a wonderful way to chronicle “new beginnings”… through the NEW “pages” of a blog. You have a brilliant talent for writing, so I can only imagine what is in store for all of us!
    I’ve truly missed reading your posts so I am THRILLED to see you BACK, my friend.
    Wishing you a beautiful, happy, healthy New Year.
    Lisa xoxo

5. Legacy of a Single Girl January 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

New year…new blog look…new words. Fabulous! I do hope you plan on posting a gaZillion photos of your farmhouse so that I may live vicariously through them. I have ALWAYS wanted to live in an old house on oooodles of land….perhaps one day!

Hugs my friend!

Margo

6. Adrian January 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Aahhh Deborah ~ you are my breathe of fresh air. Your posts always beg me to pause and reflect, just when I really need to. I must say that January (one of the quietest of months) is the perfect time to pause and do just that.
    Much love, my friend

7. Kathy January 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Gosh Deborah, you scared me. For a minute I thought you were going to say you had to sell the farmhouse! I’m so glad I found your blog too, I just wish I could keep up with mine better. Thank you so much for the Christmas card, it’s one of my favorites.

Keep posting,
    Kathy

8. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction January 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I am jealous of this story but am also soooo happy for you. I know all too well of the experience you describe in driving to and from a corporate giant every day. I love the new look of your blog and absolutely adore the Plath quote! Hope you are well!