A Pail of Perspicacity

“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ~ Confucius

There are moments that fill you so completely there is no room for memories of days gone by or plans for the future – the present from Him. I accepted this gift with gratitude the first warm day of spring a few years ago and spent it combing our shore with the little man.

The Little ManIt’s been said, if you are lucky enough to live by the ocean, you are lucky enough. We lucky ones know the best beach days are those that don’t consist of  completing an obstacle course between sun worshipers to reach the water; sounds of surf and gulls aren’t drowned out by intrusive music; waves wash nature’s cache to the sand, not abandoned boogie boards and tumbled swimmers.

The beach belonged to us alone. We kicked off our shoes, peeled off our socks, rolled up our jeans and played tag with the water’s edge while searching for treasures.

I soon realized his pail was full and started to examine its contents, discarding most because they were chipped or too ordinary and instructed Neal Michael to be more selective. Indignantly, he placed each back in his pail and stated in his four- year old wise and wonderful way “They are not broke. They are seashells.”

The cold, rushing salt water quickly filled the footprints we left on the beach, erasing all evidence we were ever there but the day and lesson learned are etched in my heart; forever a part of me.

I was pursuing perfection. The little man was simply seeking seashells and ended up with a bucket full of beauty.

******

I am participating in Beach Week at Bare Feet on the Dashboard!

Linking to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays at A Beach Cottage Life By the Sea

18 Responses to A Pail of Perspicacity

1. Layla November 28, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

Wow. That was one of the BEST blog posts I’ve ever read!
    Thanks for inviting me over, I’m so glad you did!
    :-)

Layla

2. edie wadsworth December 20, 2009 at 6:49 am #

Thank you Deborah. The little ones lead us, don’t they? Maybe I should ask them what to do about the card?!
    lots of love to you,
    edie

3. Melissa Miller January 1, 2010 at 10:50 am #

One of my favorite Emerson quotes states, “We are always getting ready to live, but never really living.” I think moments like these where you take an hour or two at the beach with little Neal and realize how much beauty the world has to offer, is a spiritual experience, as close as you can get to God I think. People are so busy all the time with useless tasks that they never really live because moments to live for are the days collecting seashells with the little man, that is what Emerson is talking about, that is true beauty. Awesome post =)!

4. Olivia January 18, 2010 at 7:26 am #

‘Little Man’ is right as most children are. Too bad we ‘grown ups’ can’t see through a childs eye or way of thinking.. America or better yet the world would be a place with more peace, love and joy. Finding the time to find time can be difficult at the least.. but just open the door and the time will be right and ones soul can be lifted.

with love,

Olivia

5. aviewfromme February 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

I don’t know what was more beautiful to me the picture or your words. I LOVE the ocean and you’re so right when you’re not battling sunworshipers et al is the best! So glad you joined in Finding Beauty it’s wonderful to meet. ~Jeanne

6. Anonymous February 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Aah, your little man was quite right. ‘They are not broke, they are seashells!’ Perfect!

Love the picture, too. It reminds me of Dewey Beach in Delaware.

7. Nancy February 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

As The Nester says – “It doen’t have to be perfect to be beautiful”. So true in so many ways. Thanks for the link – excellent post and a good lesson. xoxo Nancy
    PS Most of my life I lived only an hour from the ocean – it’s such a healing place.

8. Claudia@DipityRoad February 12, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

When we change the way we look at things– the things we look at change. :) by Fred Dyer… my fav quote.

Thanks so much for joining in… Psssst …dont forget to LINK BACK to the FFB post so your lovely commenters can read more on the subject of finding beauty.

TTFN~~Claudia

9. Sistertex at Spacial Peepol February 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

Hello,
    What a wonderful blog! Thank you for visiting mine. I hope you will come visit often. I will be back for more here as the days go by.

10. jay February 13, 2010 at 6:59 am #

I’ve been trying to add a comment to say that ‘anonymous’ up there was me! But I keep getting rejected. *Sigh*

Loved the blog, anyway. :)

11. Porch Days February 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

Children view things differently and it is the wise adult who can learn from them. When we grow up our view point changes. Just natural.

Thanks for visiting Porch Days.

12. SueMac June 29, 2010 at 11:41 am #

That is beautiful! And that’ show I like the beach, too…… quiet, simple, pure.

13. Cottage Beach House August 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Lovely picture of the liitle one on the way to the beach. It is so true, how the joy increases when the crowds vanish. Your sweet little boy has the perfect perspective. We should all learn from him.

14. Becca August 17, 2010 at 10:52 am #

I love that his child perspective is so much more insightful than my own. Y’all are truly blessed to live by the beach. Thanks so much for linking up to Beach Week!

15. melissa @ the inspired room February 19, 2011 at 2:25 am #

That is so beautiful Deborah!! I love it!

16. abeachcottage May 4, 2011 at 4:56 am #

Thanks for stopping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays

17. laurie June 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Deborah – This was such a beautiful post. I could tell it was written from your heart. A heart full of love for God’s beauty…. ♥ Thank you for sending it to me. :)

18. Laura Ingalls Gunn June 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

So lovely my eyes filled with tears. But who is the little man? :)