I’m Dreaming of a Dry Christmas

“Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don’t worry…I’m here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you. ~ Charlie Brown to Snoopy

Porch Flood

The view to the south.

Flooded Trees

The view to the east.

Flooded Back Field

The view to the north.

The Fairfield House is on a peninsula, situated between a river and bay. However, after a torrential down pour, we are surrounded by the not-so-great lakes.

Our whine cellar is flooded again. That’s why I am whining. We opened the cellar door after the storm passed and witnessed our freezer and a fleet of field mice in empty walnut shells float by.

The sump pumps are over worked and we will have to address that problem.

Eventually.

On the positive side, if the temperature continues to drop, the Fairfield House will have an indoor skating rink.

6 Responses to I’m Dreaming of a Dry Christmas

1. Susie Harris December 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm #

Oh no! I do hope everything turns sunny again in your neck of the woods soon. We have been getting our fair share of rain here too…{Baton Rouge}. I just love your home !!! I dream of living in a place like that one day….Good days…((hugs my friend)))

2. Andréann December 15, 2009 at 7:51 pm #

Hope you have ice skate!

thanks for the very kind comment!
    Made me feel bad how I haven’t told you before how amazing I beautiful looking I find your home :)

3. Victoria December 17, 2009 at 9:44 am #

Thank you for your compliments on my bathroom, its been a long time coming. (at least it feels that way!) What a beautiful home you have- Id kill for an entrance like that to my home! Sorry to hear that your so over whelmed with flooding, Kathy another blogger I follow just finished pumping out her basement so I am afraid everyone is having a go of it. I hope things get better for you soon, keep blogging- youve got a new follower! :)

4. Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers December 18, 2009 at 11:36 am #

You are hilarious! I loved your refrigerator story too! Good luck with your flooded “whine” cellar, that’s no fun!

5. Layla December 19, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Whoa! That’s a lot of water! I hope your wonderful home dries out very soon!

Wishing you the happiest (and driest!) of holidays my friend….

Layla

6. Leslie of Country Contemporary December 24, 2009 at 9:24 am #

Oh, Deborah, you have my condolences! I spent many an hour dealing with the high water table and dreadful drainage in my former country home. So much so that I became and expert at replacing sump pumps (I had TWO!) I often felt that my home could have been marketed as having an indoor pool as a feature! I don’t think I’ve ever lived in a house with a bone dry basement (and, oh, how I would love one!). Thanks for your comments on my posts, and hang in there! This, too, shall pass.