Christmas Present

“I will honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year.” ~ A Christmas Carol: Ebenezer Scrooge

I’ve been reading about Christmas baking, crafts, wrapping gifts, and décor before I cleared my Thanksgiving table.

On Christmas Eve I read about Christmas blues, slumps and funks.

By 6 PM on Christmas, I read that people were DONE with the holiday and in the process of taking down their trees,clearing their mantles, packing decorations back in the attic and ready to take on the new year.

Bah Humbug!

Most people assume this term has something to do with contempt for Christmas. The word conjures images of the miserly Scrooge who refused to celebrate.
Actually, the word is an old term meaning hoax or jest. Scrooge is claiming people are only pretending in an effort to delude him, each other and themselves.

I think Scrooge had a point.  We delude ourselves. So many people are busy preparing for the perfect day they miss the moments. So many are distracted by the details that they miss the big picture. So many are lost in times gone by and cannot find their way back to the here and now. So many are mourning losses – family, friends, jobs, homes – and don’t take comfort in what they still have.

My sincere Christmas and New Year wish is that you enjoy the gift HE gave you; the present.

I am probably the last person in The Land of Blog to share some sparkle, but here are a few of my favorite Christmas things, newly acquired on Etsy:

Manly Man Stocking

The Manly Man Stocking from TheSmithHotel

x

Christmas Star

x

The Joyeux Noel Star from PaperEclectiques

x

Crystal Snowflake Bottle

x

Crystal Snowflake Bottle from whiteserenade

20 Responses to Christmas Present

1. DE December 27, 2009 at 1:22 am #

Oh what a lovely blog you have. Thank you so much for including my etsy shop in your post. Blessings and Joy to you this Christmas. DE

2. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality December 27, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Deborah, I love your Christmas sparklies! Thank you for sharing yourself & joining blogland. It’s been a pleasure already to meet you this year & I look forward to much more in 2010.

3. sharon December 27, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

What a cute stocking!…and your house is beautiful!

4. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions December 27, 2009 at 4:45 pm #

Hi Deborah! Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all these items and I have saved Paper Eclectiques to my Etsy folder under “favorites”. So many lovely tags over there that I want! I’m with you ~ I like to enjoy all the decorations and the season. I commented on someone else’s blog today that I wait until January 6 {or that weekend} and take my decorations down.

5. naturegirl December 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm #

Christmas in our hearts all the year…well I like that thinking!
    It is the giving caring sharing kind spirit that should remain in our hearts always.
    I appreciate your generous comment on my blog! Nice to meet you!I love all your favorite new sparkles at Christmas!
    Wishing you a Happy New Year filled with lots of sparkly blessings!

6. Jenny December 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

Oh, I love Etsy. It’s so cool…and amazing how much time can be spent just dreaming out there. Your blog looks neat! I saw you at Cheri’s and saw you were new to blogging so I thought I’d hop over to meet you! HI!

7. Olivia December 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

Yes.. “honour Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year.” I wish I could have this tatooed on my wrist where I could take a peek every at it when in need.

My mother in-law wroughted a love cross stitch saying of: “Do your best; leave the rest; angels do no more” … only then should one realize that messy kitchens.. dogs barking… paper, ribbons and bows strewn around like snow that’s freshly fallen happen to be one of the best ‘moments’ of the holiday.

It only took eons to reach this point.. but yes when one just opens up and let’s love in.. amazing grace.

with love
    ~Olivia

ps.. thanks for the etsy tips as I use it often.

8. Cheri Peoples December 28, 2009 at 12:03 am #

Deborah
    It is so nice to meet you. I love getting to know new gals and look forward to getting to know you better in the few days left of 2009 and then in 2010.
    I enjoyed looking around your blog.

Cheri

9. Jayme aka The Coop Keeper December 28, 2009 at 6:42 am #

Thank you for this post. You described me exactly! To the T! You’ve been reading my blog haven’t you?? 😀

I think the mistake I, and perhaps others make, is that we start way too early. Next year, I do intend to wait a little later, so that I’m not so tired of it all by the time the day comes. I will also stay in the ‘present’ and be thankful for what I have now (family wise) and not be so melancholy about what I’ve lost.

Thanks so much for the reminder.

PS…LOVE all your decor…especially those bottles!

10. Janean December 28, 2009 at 9:51 am #

the bottles….oooooo…..the pretty bottles…..yay!

11. Jennifer December 28, 2009 at 10:31 am #

LOVELY Etsy finds, and fantastic quote! I was very “into” the season, and the reason, this year, and had a wonderful time even though my tree was never finished and my decorations were never all put out, and presents that I had intended to buy were never bought…it just didn’t matter. Blessings abounded anyway!
    Have a fantastic week…Christmas isn’t over yet…isn’t it just the “4th day of Christmas” today anyway? :-)

12. Laura Ingalls Gunn December 28, 2009 at 10:43 am #

Oh good! Someone else who is joining me on the quest to remind others Christmas is NOT over. Technically the season ends on January 6th, but truly Christmas should be in our hearts every day!

So keep coming by where I will still be serving up holiday cheer.

13. Jody Smith December 28, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Nice pictures! Thanks for including my stocking! Hope you had a great Christmas!

14. Gill December 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

I think the build up to Christmas starts much to early, before Halloween here in Canada. Therefore by the time Christmas actually gets here, you are totally fed up of the whole thing.

I will be taking down my Christmas tree and all decorations tomorrow (Tuesday) and will only leave my Christmas cards up until 12th night.

Gill in Canada

15. Michelle December 30, 2009 at 9:40 am #

Welcome to blogging, what an amazing home!

A great reminder to savor the season. I’m hosting a New Years Eve party at my house so all my decorations stayed up except our live tree, unfortunately it wasn’t making it. So nice to meet you, I look forward to your posts in 2010!
    ~Michelle

16. Elizabeth December 30, 2009 at 2:22 pm #

My sentiments exactly. Wouldn’t it be lovely to reinstate the 12 days of Christmas…

Warm wishes,

Elizabeth

17. laura @ the shorehouse December 30, 2009 at 5:38 pm #

I love your new acquisitions! Each one is right up my alley.

You’re so right…this time of year I do find myself mourning what (and who) I *don’t* have in my life anymore…and I need to do a better job of focusing on what I *do* have. Which is a lot.

I am so glad I “met” you this year! So much in common…and, hello, did I even discuss the whole Isle of Staten comment you left yet?!? Unbelievable. :-) I am looking very forward to spending time here with you in 2010. (I almost just typed 2020…apparently I’m all for looking ahead, lol!)

18. Victoria December 30, 2009 at 11:13 pm #

Its comforting to know that Im not the only one who is frustrated with people rushing things along. Everyone can keep their super speed- I plan on sticking to my granny pace and soaking up every last second of the season. :)

19. Debi January 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

Thomas and Deborah dears,
    Just love your blog!!
    And those pages of family history you have to love!! Wish we were as lucky as you are in the saved papers of life. I will be back often to read whats going on!!
    Hope you have a wonderfully blessed day!
    Debi xo

20. Debi January 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

got say LOVE IT!!
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Debi