Out of Towners

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here we should dance” ~ Unknown

You would think living in a rural area consisting mostly of commercial farm land, that New Year’s Eve would be a quiet event. Simply bidding farewell to another year as it quietly slips away and warmly welcoming a new year of hope and opportunity.

Not so.

Each year thousands of wild partiers fly into town for an annual convention. The rowdy tourists stay for weeks wreaking havoc. They have no consideration for the locals and carry on into the early morning hours. Times Square has nothing on the Fairfield House.

These are also known as Snow Geese. They breed on subarctic and arctic tundra, near ponds or streams. They migrate south in winter to coastal marshes and bays, wet grasslands, freshwater marshes, and cultivated fields. (Personally, I think they all migrate here.)

15 Responses to Out of Towners

1. Olivia January 4, 2010 at 8:13 am #

Well didn’t you say the ‘Snow Birds’ usually fly south for the winter? I’m still in that era in which relatives have homes both in NJ shore and down south and refer to themselves as ‘Snowbirds’… They flutter and sing.. zip and soar from one area to the next.. gleaning what they can.. leaving their pewp behind for others to clean up. Oops.. not my relatives that is.. (heehee) their good folk or ah.. ‘Snowbirds’ especially when I plan on visiting them this spring! Only place to be when the pollen hits here.. head south where the sun will kiss my skin and the winds will mess my hair.

So since the picture didn’t pop up.. (for me that is.. could be a new Windows 7 issue.. not sure.. ) is this an annual event? All that honking and geese pewp.. no wonder it leaves a person gnashing their teeth.

Still no movie yet.. have to reload all of pictures into Picasa 3 again. Reinstalled everything .. and now I speed along the net like lightening.. or static cling.. heehee.. (someone take away the coffee here)

With love my dear
    ~Olivia

2. Victoria January 4, 2010 at 10:04 am #

Love the music on the video. :)

Around here we have to go looking for geese, I actually had to drive about 20 miles to show my husband his first goose and swan ever. He’d never seen them before in person! This video reminded me of a trip I took to Nova Scotia a few years ago. What a beautiful scene. Thanks for the memory.

3. Janean January 4, 2010 at 10:05 am #

yeah, we had these “revelers” out by our place too…honking loudly…hanging out at the lake….ye-ah. LOL!

4. Laura Ingalls Gunn January 4, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Your post reminded me of the year when we were living on the island of Crete (Greece) and the New Years tradition there was to fire your shot gun into the air.
    That probably wouldn’t have been a good mix with your visitors. :)

5. Jayme aka The Coop Keeper January 4, 2010 at 10:59 am #

How fun! I remember seeing something about this on the news…..or maybe I dreamt that. We get starlings that do that in our back yard every fall and every spring. I just LOVE the deafening chatter of the birds, and seeing them fly all together in big black clouds. Love it!

Happy day to you!

6. Debra January 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

We have those geese every year too at a place called Middle Creek. There are thousands and it’s a beautiful sight. Every year we take a drive over there to see the geese and swans…..it’s amazing and loud!

7. Zuzu January 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

:) Loved this post. They do like to party!

8. TogetherWeSave January 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Loved this post…snow birds… how amazing.

9. Jennifer January 6, 2010 at 8:09 am #

Bwahahaha! That’s awesome! And that music is absolutely appropriate; I love it. And they are deafening! Man! What an amazing sight. We have the canadian geese fly south here; sometimes in the spring when they fly back, I almost have a heart attack thinking they are flying south and winter is starting all over again. What relief when it strikes me that warmth is on the way!!

10. Pony Girl January 6, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Thanks for always stopping by and leaving nice comments on my blog! :)
    I wonder if the snow geese are what we see around our parts in the winter? They hover in big corn fields. I am thinking we have swans though. Something about them look more swanish than goosish. Are those words?? Hee!

11. Corey Villicana January 7, 2010 at 2:14 am #

hey there, I LOVE YOUR BLOG…so i am nominating you for a lemonade stand award!

The Lemonade Stand Award is awarded for being a blogger who shows great attitude and gratitude.

You can find the details on my blog! Thanks for inspiring me and so many others!

12. Sarah January 8, 2010 at 9:08 am #

I love birds in the snow. Makes winter a little more alive.

13. Sue January 12, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

Boy did that tear me up. What a great post. Who does have love and life turn out the way they thought it would!? Thank you for this. My Mom died of a stoke, but she only lasted another week. That’s been 16 years and it seems like she is going to walk in the front door right now. I miss her
    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog. I thought I would say hello and then go into yours.
    Have a happy day

14. Anonymous January 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

I just found your blog ! What a beautiful house and story about your Dad!

15. karen January 19, 2010 at 4:00 pm #

I needed a good cry today. And this post sure gave it to me. Thanks for visiting my blog. Come back anytime. God Bless.