Flowerplace

“Happiness held is the seed; happiness shared is the flower” ~ Unknown

FireplaceThe rain has stopped and the sun is finally shining in New Jersey. Spring has sprung.

When I think of spring and Easter soft pastels, beautiful flowers, bunnies, chicks, ducks, and eggs come to mind. I’ve used all of them to create my spring mantel. The hearth is often neglected when decorating, but I love to incorporate it in my overall design. I have used tulips and hyacinths this year. I forced their growth by planting them indoors. I strongly suggest hyacinths because of all the spring blooms, hyacinths and lilacs are the most fragrant. Unfortunately, my lilacs have not yet bloomed. My porcelain rabbits were collected over the years from ebay and thrift stores. I have many more and use them throughout the house in spring. The beautiful  banner was found at Lynn’s Trinkets & Treasures. The vintage paper eggs, decoupage eggs and Easter postcards were purchased on clearance at Pottery Barn. The glittered sugared eggs and yellow peep box were purchased on clearance at a local gift store last year.

I learned long ago that when you want to create an illusion the best things to use are lights and mirrors. I placed an antique mirror that I just received from the Barn House Marketplace in the fireplace to reflect all the beauty. The mirror makes it appear as though there are more flowers.

To make this post more interesting and festive I have hidden a golden egg. The first person to locate it and leave a comment with the EXACT location wins a prize!

Wishing you peace, love, hope reborn and all the blessings of God’s beautiful world.

Linking to Kimba’s A Soft Place to Land Linky Mantel Party

I am linking to Make Your Monday at The Twice Remembered Cottage.

I am participating in Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts

I am linked in to The Nester’s mantle party.

Mantle

Hearth

Mantle, right side.

Mantle, left side

Hearth, center

Hearth, right side

Hearth, left side

51 Responses to Flowerplace

1. lori mckenna April 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

Your mantel is so beautiul and makes me excited for springtime! Even here in San Diego. I couldn’t find the golden egg but, I sure enjoyed your pictures. Wishing you a blessed Easter.

2. Stephenie April 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

Deborah, we found it! It is located in with the yellow tulips near the green stems in the upper left. What fun!

3. Corey Villicana April 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Beautiful! I love your mantel and your decorations… Happy Easter! xoxo C

4. Stephenie April 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

I already posted a comment, but I don’t see it, so I am posting again because I love contests and I hope to win! :-) Jason and I found the egg! It’s located in the yellow tulips. You can see it hiding behind their green stems near the upper left of the pot. What fun this was. Happy Easter.

5. Kathleen April 4, 2010 at 2:07 am #

Hello fellow New Jerseyean: The weather as you know is glorious here. It’s quite the change from the storming rain we had last week.
    I know where the golden egg is. It is positioned within the leaves of the yellow tulips!
    Best Wishes for a Blessed Easter, and a Happy Spring!

6. C. Pregler April 4, 2010 at 6:14 am #

The Golden Egg is on the left side between the first and second yellow tulips. What a beautiful mantle display for spring. I love the bunnies collection and love the smell of hyacinths they are soooo fragrant of a flower and very showy. I have a complete hedge of lilacs with 2 varieties and so they bloom a little longer that way. Smells grand around here especially when the winds blowin. Have a great Easter… He has Risen!

7. ain't for city gals April 4, 2010 at 7:55 am #

Drats….I can’t find it….will try again later after coffee….Deborah, I wanted to tell you I look forward to your postings…they are always so thoughtful and the writing is beautiful….

8. Zuzu April 4, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Gorgeous display, Deborah! Wishing you and yours a beautiful Easter!

9. Olivia April 4, 2010 at 9:03 am #

I think your golden egg is behild the yellow tulips there.. “I’ve got a golden ticket” (charlie and the chocolate factory) heehee..

Happy Easter and what a collection!!! Vintage chicks, bunnies and eggs! My kind of style indeed.

I so love the Barn House Market and I recalled you won their grand prize.. yippie. Great idea as to the mirror in fireplace.. hmmm, I wonder.. well as usual you’ve tweaked my life once again. But that’s why I love you so.

I hope this Blessed day is sweet as can be.

with love,
    Olivia

10. Pat@BPM April 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

Happy Easter, Deborah!

I enjoyed all the photos, but didn’t find a golden egg.

11. Sue from Atlanta April 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

What a great idea using a mirror inside the fireplace….your flowers are lovely…..Happy Easter and glad your having a beautiful day up there in Jersey…I was hoping for sun for Miss B’s Easter egg hunt..

12. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality April 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Hi, Deborah! Sounds like your postcard exchange was a lot of fun, sorry I missed it. I just can’t seem to get caught up these days.

I think I spy the golden egg on the left side of the pic, in the yellow tulips, am I right? I think others guessed it too.

Happy Easter and blessings to you this gorgeous spring day!

13. Karrie April 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

I love all of your bunnies! The tulips are beautiful! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my mantle post!

14. Ginny April 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

I’d say the golden egg is the first of the three in this vintage group of three

Flowers, you found my weak spot!
    Mine are still in packages, waiting to be planted.

15. Lynn Polochock April 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

Deborah~

Your “flowerplace” is absolutely gorgeous. I can smell the flowers from here! I am honored that you added my Spring garland to your beautiful vignette! Thanks so much….and Happy Spring!

~Lynn Polochock

16. Victoria April 4, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Could it be a little more beautiful? (The answer is a resounding no.)

Gosh you have the most wonderful flowers- I especially love the last photo. Everything is so lovely Deborah.

I hope that you and Thomas had a wonderful Easter! Cheers. -V

17. The Starr Family April 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

The flowers. Oh, the flowers!! Simply beautiful!

18. Jennifer April 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

Oh SO pretty. I can’t wait to visit our local garden centers soon; I have a nice little garden plot and this will be my first time really tinkering with planting things. I’m so happy spring, and the weather to go along with it, is here!!

19. pony girl April 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm #

Thank you for the sweet comment over at my blog!! I truly hope to return to blogging in the future, I know I will feel the pull! 😉 I just need to focus on some other things right now. I will still be making the rounds and reading blogs, though. Actually, now that I won’ t be posting, I’ll have more time for that. So much for getting away from the computer, eh?
    I love your decor on the mantel- it’s so springy and lovely and I LOVE rabbits! I found the golden egg (took me a while, sneaky you! 😉 but it looks like someone else found it first. I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

20. Leanne April 5, 2010 at 1:14 am #

You have a beautiful mantel. I love your bunny collection and the tulips look gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

21. sixtyfifthavenue April 5, 2010 at 8:18 am #

I love your spring mantle, you have it decorated so fresh and pretty. And forcing bulbs is such a fun way to let sping in. Your golden egg game was fun… you hid that egg good I really had to look and look!

Londen

22. Kathleen April 5, 2010 at 8:52 am #

Deborah – the daffodil that you so like on my blog is from a collection for “Dutch Garden” a catalog. However,you can google them, and call toll free to get their catalog in the mail. This particular daffodil was part of a collection, and the catalog will show you them. They are a superb company, and all the bulbs and plants we buy from them are top of the line (at least I think so). If you have any questions, please let me know. :)
    Kathy

23. Debbie April 5, 2010 at 9:05 am #

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love your mantle, so springy and eastery (if thats a word). Blessings, Debbie

24. Black Eyed Susans Kitchen April 5, 2010 at 9:13 am #

I love that you decorated the hearth as well as the mantle! It is such a happy, Springtime scene.
    ♥, Susan

25. Maggie April 5, 2010 at 9:20 am #

Love the mantle! The colors of the hyacinths are beautiful. I really like the black and white bunnies. Reminds me of the bunny I had when I was young.

I hope that your Easter was filled with lots of wonderful family memories and chocolate!

26. beth April 5, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Pretty! Hope you had a Happy Easter!! :)

27. Anna April 5, 2010 at 10:31 am #

LOVING THE COLOR!

You left a comment on my blog about my pots in the fireplace, it was a really funny comment…I had to read it twice. Anyway I always appreciate a little humor and wanted to let you know.

28. Elizabeth @ blue clear sky April 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

Very pretty blooms and bunnies. Thanks for sharing.

29. Amanda April 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Pretty bunnies!

30. LisaB. April 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

Your mantel looks so pretty. Love all the spring flowers and your bunny collection is impressive. I also like how you placed the mirror in the bottom fire pit part.

Also, thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment.

31. condo blues April 5, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

So pretty – very festive and Springy!

The books as wallpaper is holding well after almost three years after putting it up. It helped that I put a coat of clear glaze over it and that it’s a powder room – it doesn’t get hot and steamy from a bath or shower.

32. aangle April 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

What a great idea for a spring transformation! Thanks for sharing!
    -Arielle

33. Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh Make Something April 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

absolutely delightful! so cheerful! I hopped over from Twice Remembered and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation and drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope that you will do the same. until later…

34. Katie April 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Wow I couldn’t find the golden egg. It is really hidden well or my eyes are just really tired today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and the nice compliments!

35. Emily April 5, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

Cute Mantle! I love the galvanized planter. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

36. Sherri April 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

Deborah, I love all your ceramic bunnies! I sent you my postcard today!

37. Olivia April 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Ok, so I tried the mirror look… it didn’t work for me.. pewps.. oh well. But I adore yours there.. with ‘summer’ in full bloom here I plan on keep my bunnies around just to remind me that it’s really spring.

Love you lots,
    Olivia

38. Amy April 6, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Beautiful! I love all of the bunnies and flowers :)

39. Kathy April 7, 2010 at 7:17 am #

Sorry I’m a little behind – the kids are home for Spring Break and I’m luck if I get a shower each day! I love the mantel, very jealous! I’m going to have to steal your inspiration. :-) I adore a clearance purchase (In fact my motto is: “If it’s free, it’s for me”!) and think you got a deal. I’m glad you are finally getting some spring temps – we are in the 90s in Virginia (can you believe it?). The pollen is horrible but I’m enjoying my porch anyway. I hope you had a wonderful Easter, we spent the weekend knocking off things on the To Do list.

Kathy

40. Rene April 8, 2010 at 8:29 am #

Your mantel speaks of all things spring! Just lovely!

Thanks for the mirror in the fireplace tip. I just cleaned the ashes out of our fireplace yesterday and was thinking of maybe placing some magnolia branches inside. A mirror would sure brighten it up too.

41. Anna April 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

Hey Empress of the Universe 😉
    I just wanted to make sure you knew about the mantel link up at the Nester’s blog…hope to see you there.

Curtsying now.

42. Cha Cha April 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Spring perfection, I love your bunnies and that little chick is too cute. I love everything you do, thanks for sharing.

Cha Cha

43. Leslie, the Home Maker April 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

BEE – YOO – TEE- FUL!!

I LURVE them bunnies!!!

***************Hey!
    Did you ever get a postcard from South Carolina?
    I would love to send you one!
    My Easter Sunday post is about some of the vintage postcards I have, and I’d be happy to mail you one.
    Is it too late???**************

Blessings!

44. Melissa Thorn April 9, 2010 at 7:44 am #

Hey Deborah, I like your spring mantel…. it’s very…well, springy! :) I like your bunny that’s all laid out and comfy looking! LOL
    Have a blessed day!! :)
    Hugs
    Melissa

45. Maureen April 9, 2010 at 8:35 am #

I love spring. It makes me so very happy to see the green leaves return. Your mantel looks lovely and I bet it smells delightful.

Happy Spring!

46. Anne April 9, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Oh, your mantle and hearth looks simply amazing!
    I love it!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Anne

47. Debra @ Common Ground April 11, 2010 at 12:19 am #

LOVE your mantle and sweet Easter display. Your flowers are gorgeous!

48. Laura Ingalls Gunn April 12, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Spring indeed! I think the standing black and white bunny is my favorite. Well done.

I am peeking out of my turtle shell to say thank you for your kindness and support. Be blessed dear friend.

49. Twice Remembered April 13, 2010 at 11:38 am #

Your hyacinths are just gorgeous! Don’t you just love their fragrance? I bought some recently {still need to plant them} and though I loved smell, I’m afraid I’m the only one in my house that did! Do you feel they prefer more shade than sun? It seems that the tips of the foliage burns on mine so easily!

50. Parsley April 21, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Nothing says spring better than bunnies and flowers. What a cute post!

51. michelle April 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Your mantle is adorable!! My mom loves bunnies and has collected them for years!

Have a great week!