Directions

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” ~ Henry David Thoreau

When we purchased and moved into The Fairfield House the daily commute to my office was four hours round trip; that’s 20 hours a week, 80 hours a month, 960 hours or 40 days a year. People would shake their heads and ask what could possibly make me spend that much time on the road. The answer was always the same: You have to see it to believe it.

I have located the secret garden in the garden state; the fourth smallest and the most densely populated state in the country.

I provide unique landmarks to visitors.

———-

Linking to:

LaurieAnna’s Vintage Home

Wow Us Wednesday

Elissa Loves Nature Walk Garden Party

A Delightsome Life Home and Garden Thursday

The Bungalow Blog’s Garden Party

Mission Possible The Great Outdoors Linky Party

52 Responses to Directions

1. Claudia@DipityRoad August 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Im grabbing all my “coins” possible and heading to the nearest wishing well… I wanna live with you! :)

Such a great post as usual!

Hugs
    Claudia

2. Kathy Eykamp August 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

I want to come to your house for vacation! Thanks for sharing your home to us, it must be a wonderful place to live.

Kathy

3. Ginny Roth August 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

and as I think back, I find subtle humor. I lived 2 miles from that same office, and would bring my garden flowers in, randomly placing them throughout. The place just needed something, and flowers create a sense of calmness.

4. Maggie August 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Love the directions! It is truly like a treasure at the end of the rainbow. I can just imagine that the magic would contine all throughout the visit to your house!

5. Jennifer August 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Who wouldn’t drive a crazy commute in order to live in a field of flowers?! I know how you feel; sometimes I feel like this is a dream; it’s like vacation every day that I wake up in Maine. Some places grab you and don’t let go!

6. Alaina August 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

That was beautiful, it shows that you enjoy your home, town, life. I bet you are able to do a lot of thinking on your ride and you strike me as a person who ponders and thinks before saying or doing. What a lovely video, all those beautiful flowers. Are they for a farmer’s market or florist? By your dreams I would have to say you are pretty happy. I remember when I was young and I would go and stay with my grandparents, their entertainment on a weekend would be to get in the car and drive for hours and just look at the countryside, if something caught our fancy we would stop and take a closer look. I can still hear my grandmother humming beside me. What wonderful memories your post brings to mind. Do not worry about the negative things people say, do what makes you happy, they do not have to always understand the why of doing things.

I wanted to let you know that I have never shipped anything before so this is all new to me. I did visit the post office and found out that I did not bring the right supplies to get my shipping price. Anyway, I am sending it all with my husband to work to weigh and tell me what I need to do to get you your candle and tag as fast as I can.

7. Colleen August 1, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

I’ve never been known to be good at directions, but I think I could find you!! beautiful!

8. Parsley August 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

Love it! So when can we come over for a chat and cheesecake?

9. Melissa August 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

Oh Deborah! You really do live in the secret garden! My little heart skipped a beat at the sight of all your flowers. You KNOW how I love flowers! The peonies were just gorgeous…one of my all time flowers on earth! (that and hydrangeas) Actually I don’t think there’s a flower out there that I don’t like. :)
    No wonder you commuted all that way for your job…you had heaven to come home to. :) I would love to come visit your pergola some day and watch that sunset with you…what a sweet way to end a day. Have a wonderful new week my friend. :)
    Love YOU lots! :)
    Missy

10. Michelle Hughes August 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

Oh my goodness!! That is simply breathtaking! those flowers… that water! Amazing!

11. Anna August 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Super fun post, loved the video… no one could questionyour motives after seeing that!

I’ve missed you, my funny friend.

12. Leslie, the Home Maker August 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Clean your bathroom and sweep the porch- I’m on my way!

13. Corey Villicana August 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

What an amazing glimpse into your beautiful world.

14. Rhonda August 2, 2010 at 1:57 am #

I watched the video hoping all of the beautiful things I was seeing was leading me to Fairfield House…and it did.

Well done, my friend

You are truly blessed to be in such incredible surroundings – It’s a fairy tale oil painting!

Blessings

15. Zuzu August 2, 2010 at 8:19 am #

I’ll have to try to see this when I’m at the library on Tuesday – I can’t watch videos from my computer, but from the comments above, I won’t want to miss it!!! :)
    Zuzu

16. Eva August 2, 2010 at 11:10 am #

I understand! My husband and I average commutes of about 3.5 hours roundtrip with about 100 miles day being put on our car. It is hard, but worth it because we really love where we live in NJ. Anywhere close to our jobs that we would want to be is so out of the relm of afforable for us it is laughable. Everything that we could afford is just not where we want to live.

17. Dee August 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Oh Deborah ~The fields are breathtaking. It’s like another world. It makes me happy to know that your new Santos statue is now in the most peaceful place imaginable ~ she must think she is back in Heaven.

18. Pondside August 2, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Some things are always worth the wait/trouble/money/commute. I’ll just bet your heart swells as you approach home whenever you’ve been away. I’ll bet you breath the word ‘home’ as Fairfield House comes into sight. To have found a forever home is a blessing.

19. ain't for city gals August 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Aren’t we the lucky ones??? (the music was perfect)

20. Anne August 2, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

“When I sleep, I dream of the life I am living”….oh my gosh, I’m crying over here. This is just incredible, you are so blessed!

21. Barb Boyack August 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Oh that was just beautiful Deborah..next time I come visit the Garden State may I come see this fabulous place in person?

Thank you for sharing..

Barb

22. Jayme aka The Coop Keeper August 3, 2010 at 6:40 am #

Deep sighing going on over here in Indiana. Worth every minute of the drive my dear. I don’t know why, I imagined you on a tree lined street in a neighborhood. How did I get such a wrong image? I’m so happy for you. Lovely video, you always do such a great job on everything dear. Please do tell, are those commercial horticulture fields?

23. Anne August 3, 2010 at 6:54 am #

Just simply lovely. I would love to visit. I did receive your postcard early on. I have so many I had to take photos in sections. Eventually I will put them all up in close shots so everyone can see their card! Have a terrific day and thanks for stopping by. Anne

24. Layla August 3, 2010 at 8:34 am #

When do we move in?
    ;-)
    Layla

25. Cheri August 3, 2010 at 8:40 am #

I would do the same thing! What a glorious place to call home.
    Fields of flowers? A river? Oh my.

26. Zuzu August 3, 2010 at 11:16 am #

Good morning, Deborah!
    I am at the library and just viewed your video. It is so beautiful where you live! And buffalo? I never would have known if you hadn’t shared it with all of us. :)
    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Zuzu

27. Laura Ingalls Gunn August 3, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

Every inch of this post is true! I am such a devoted Cape May fan now!
    My post with all the lovely photos will be up in about 2 weeks. Can’t wait!

28. Janean August 5, 2010 at 8:57 am #

girly girl, that was amazing!

i assume those are commercial floral farms? wow.

southern Georgia has rose farms for a big rose bush company, but these flowers are sooooo beautiful….and buffalo? who’d have thought?

fortunate, blessed woman, you are!

29. Sue @Rue Mouffetard August 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Get the guest room ready….I think I will be moving in…..
    we just got home last night and I am happy to report that the tomatoes and the corn….Oh, and the fresh mozzerella made it to Georgia in one piece….Let the good eating begin!!

30. Victoria August 10, 2010 at 9:53 am #

okay, so I checked my schedule and Im free to move in with you next week. :)

You and T are so lucky to have such a beautiful home surrounded by so many beautiful sights, but Im sure the Fairfield house helps add to all of the loveliness.

I love the last line in your slideshow, Im going to write that down so I can remember that everyday.

Your friend. -V

31. Emily August 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

I love this and I love my home. I am glad that you found true happiness in your own little heaven and I hope that one day I will do the same! I love you more.

32. Laney August 11, 2010 at 7:43 am #

Deborah-
    It is truly beautiful!

I was wondering if you lived in NJ, I live in Middlesex county, near Rutgers university.

33. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality August 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

Oh, Deborah, what an absolutely stunning place you live. And I can see why you love it so. Oh my goodness, that is an outstanding slideshow for sure. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Looks like a dream come true sort of place. You are very blessed.

Did you take all those pics yourself?! Just gorgeous!!

34. Dawn August 13, 2010 at 5:00 am #

Despite the beautiful commute I think I’d have a hard time leaving home. I’d want to stay under that beautiful pergola all day! I’ve missed all my blogging friends the last few weeks. I’ll have more computer time now that school is about to start for the kids.

35. laurie June 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

You ARE living the perfect life in a perfect house surrounded by the perfect field of flowers, Deborah. Wow. And yes…..totally worth alot of driving back and forth to work. No question about it! ♥

xoxo laurie

36. missgracieshouse August 6, 2011 at 9:31 am #

this really made me smile…it truly is farmhouse living…ohh, the rows of peonies…simply gorgeous! I can’t wait to see more of your gem…
    Rene

37. laurieanna August 7, 2011 at 9:06 am #

Wow, what an amazingly inspiring video. Thank you for the smile this Sunday morning….just beautiful!

Thanks also for linking up to Farmhouse Friday!

xoxo LaurieAnna

38. Patti August 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

No wonder you’re willing to make that commute! those are just about the best ever directions. Getting to Joan’s Pretty Old House is kinda like that. I popped over from LaurieAnna’s.

39. stefanie August 12, 2011 at 10:40 am #

oh!!!! I love it all!!!

40. Gardenia May 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Deborah, all I can say is wow. I can see why you don’t mind the commute!! The place you call home is beautiful! Full of the glories of Our God. thanks for stopping by today.

41. Elisa May 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Wow….beautiful!! I cannot imagine! The only thing that would top that, is my Swiss Mountain Alps, where I grew up ;) but you are blessed. I sure enjoyed the slideshow and I always like learning the names of flowers. I still don’t know so many. Thanks for linking up. I’m so glad I got to visit your place. What a treat for the eyes and the soul.

42. Kathy May 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Idyllic. I would just love to see scenery like that on a daily basis – I just love your last sentence – when I sleep I dream of the life I’m living – love it!
    thank you, Deborah for sharing this with us at Home and Garden Thursday
    ( I sighed over the flowers!)

43. Vicky May 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Your home is idyllic, Deborah – a real paradise! The pictures have left a beautiful impression in my mind. Thank you for sharing :-)

44. Zuzu May 11, 2012 at 11:29 am #

I’m so glad you joined Elisa’s party, Deborah. I was unable to watch this before, but could today. How wonderful. You truly do live in a secret garden.
    Zuzu

45. Debra @ Bungalow May 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Amazing….I have no words, just absolutely amazing!
    Thanks for sharing and coming by and linking up. :)

46. thistle May 30, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Okay….I thought where I lived was beautiful. But this…..

You are so blessed my wonderful friend!

Thanks for sharing :)

blessings,
    karianne

47. Linda @ it all started with paint May 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Breathtaking! Thank you for showing off the beauty that can be found in New Jersey!

… so happy you shared at our Great Outdoors link party!

Linda

48. Angie June 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

So beautiful! It’s like a dream. Is that a flower farm? Is it yours? I have always wanted to own a flower farm. Everything is so beautiful!

49. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog June 2, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Oh, WOW!! You have such an amazing retreat. Gorgeous, gorgeous … great job of showing us all the way … now be careful, because we’re all on our way. lol Thank you so much for sharing at our party!
    Karah

50. Debbie Refresh Restyle June 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

Do you have room for me? Now I will dream of Fairfield House! The flowers, the sunsets, the everything :)

51. Lisa Palmese July 18, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Ok Deborah,
    God has given you a piece of Heaven because you must deserve it!! You surely appreciate it. So with that said You must have an in Please Pray for Me and that God Guides Me in the right directions. Or I am coming to NJ and I will live on your Porch and eat the vegetables Oh and cut some of those flowers and send them down to Savannah. They would never know a couple dozen are missing. I Love You Girl and the Peace you give to Others when You still work so hard all day I truly appreciate it.Sometimes you say things or put up quotes and I think you have telepathy and your in my head lol. You have a Gorgeous Home and Beautiful Grounds , a Wonderful Page and an Inspiring Blog. I am One of Your Biggest Fans!!!
    Love Lisa

52. Becky July 18, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Oh Deborah,
    How absolutely enchanting!
    And I love the saying, “I dream of the life I’m living”. I’ve felt that way about my life for many years…just so incredibly blessed.
    Have a wonderful day, and thanks for sharing your loveliness!!
    Becky