The Rat Stuff

“That’s one small step for a terrier, one giant leap for canines.” ~ Scout

For some time now, we have been growing increasingly concerned for our rat terrier Scout, and may soon have him hospitalized for his own safety as well as ours. He’s always been a bit excessively “imaginative”, but lately he’s become more than a handful.  I caught him in the backyard this afternoon sitting on top of a can of gasoline.

One of the Siamese (‘Puter) was holding a lit match and Buster, the cairn, was counting backwards from 10, “Ten, nine…uhhh, four…seven…” Mishka, the other Siamese, was hiding under the porch covering her eyes. I’m sure sooner or later Buster would have gotten to one and all hell would have broken loose.

The Rat Stuff

America's finest and his Saturn .25 Interplanetary Space Booster

Scout indignantly said he just wanted to be the first terrier on Mars and that we just don’t “get” him. He did agree pose for me in his space suit, as you can see below.

The Rat Stuff_2

Our Hero

OK. I confess, that’s not really Scout, it just looks like him; but a dog can dream, can’t he? The photo is from some unknown source in the depths of the Internet (an e-mailed legend passed down from terrier to puppy for generations — or a couple of years; whatever).

20 Responses to The Rat Stuff

1. Claudia@DipityRoad August 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Of course they can dream! :) Just too cute!

HE can dream — like I can dream of visiting your lovely town some day! It’s on my to do list– I am serious as a heart attack!

Hugs!
    Claudia

2. Parsley August 27, 2010 at 8:08 pm #

This surely put a smile on my face! If you need a volunteer firefighter nearby that loves dogs, I suggest my hubs!

3. Alaina August 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

Too funny! I hope you have a bucket of water ready. How is the sale going? Good luck!

4. Laney August 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

He looks like our first dog, Trooper. We had to get rid of him because my husband was very allergic to h is oily coat. Trooper now lives in Virginia with a lovely home schooling family of 4 boys.:-)

I love your about page. I have read it a few times now and it always makes me laugh. :-)

5. Missy August 28, 2010 at 5:18 am #

Yep, you were right, it did put a smile on my face! :) That’s too cute. LOL Hope you have a wonderful, bright and happy weekend!
    Love you much
    Missy :)

6. ain't for city gals August 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Deborah,,just wondering..what came first on this post…the words or the pictures?….cute..

• Deborah August 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Each of our animals has an assigned personality and voice with ongoing story lines. So, in answer to your question, the story came first.

7. Sue @Rue Mouffetard August 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

I normally don’t say this to my blogging friends and I do hate when someone says this to me….but I think at this time it is fully appropriate…..You have a little too much time on your hands there lady….LOL.

8. Dee August 29, 2010 at 4:57 am #

I can just picture this and am relating totally. If you ever find a photo of a white German Shepherd and 2 long haired orange tabby’s breaking into a peanut factory – let me know (long story;)

9. Barb Boyack August 29, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Haha..Deborah that is too funny…almost sounds like you could write a book with his adventures in it!

Barb

10. Layla August 29, 2010 at 10:55 am #

SO FUNNY!

You’re such a great writer! Always enjoy your posts!

:-)
    Layla

11. Zuzu August 29, 2010 at 11:25 am #

If there are pics circulating on the internet of rat terriers in space suites, then it makes perfect sense for Scout to join in the race. Go get ’em, Scout!!!

12. Cass at That Old House August 29, 2010 at 11:34 pm #

OK, I am NOT alone — I now know someone who not only is crazy enough to live in a very old house, but who also gives voice to her pets.
    Dare I tell my family that I am NOT nuts?
    My dog Dion even has his own Facebook page. And I do not.
    Go figure.
    BTW Dion is madly jealous over the outfit. He believes it IS Scout.
    Cass

13. Victoria August 30, 2010 at 7:21 am #

Scout is becoming quite the celebrity around here!

Thanks for the laugh!

14. Laura Ingalls Gunn August 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

Sing with me…

Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your pups
    In fact it’s cold as hell
    And there’s no one there to raise them if you did
    And all this nonsense on my owners blog
    It’s like she writes a post five days a week
    A rocket dog, a rocket dog

15. Anna Poole September 24, 2010 at 10:01 am #

So silly!

16. ClassyChassy October 5, 2010 at 8:11 am #

Pretty funny and so creative!

17. Angela October 5, 2010 at 10:18 am #

That’s funny! I’m glad they didn’t light that match and send Scout to Mars like he wanted! lol

*´¨)
    ¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
    (¸.*´ (¸.*´* TUESDAYS’ SHOW & TAIL*
    ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY *´¨)

ANGELA

18. varunner7 October 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

Uh huh. He looks like a trouble maker, that one does. Headed straight to juvie. As a former juvenile probation officer, I can always tell 😉

19. Andrea October 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

If there’s any dog that can solve a problem, it’s a Rat….Go Scout!