Remember

“All of a sudden there were people screaming. I saw people jumping out of the building. Their arms were flailing. I stopped taking pictures and started crying.” ~ Michael Walters, a free-lance photo journalist in Manhattan

It was a day much like this one. A blue sky with cotton candy clouds. Although not officially autumn, the summer heat had burned itself out. It was a day that made you automatically smile when you stepped out the door and thank God you were alive. It was a perfect day.

Until 8:46 AM EST.

World Trade Center 9/11

World Trade Center, 9/11 (www.carefulthought.com)

Who knew it would be the last day for 2,977 people?  Who knew over 6,000 people would be injured?

Pentagon 9/11

The Pentagon following 9/11 (www.carefulthought.com)

You may recall where you were when the world stopped turning on that September day.

Shanksville Pa, 9/11

But never forget where the less fortunate ones were.

Don’t ever forget.

18 Responses to Remember

1. Tia September 11, 2010 at 11:02 am #

I will never forget. I was getting my kids ready for school and didn’t know whether to believe my own eyes when the news came on. I took them to school but went back and got them an hour later for fear something might happen here in California as well. It felt like the world was coming to an end. In a way it did. The world as we knew it at least. I ended up transferring my kids to a school much closer (their school had been 40 minutes away by car) so that if I ever needed to get them quickly, even just run there, I could. A huge impact? Yes, I’d say so, and I will NEVER forget those people who died nor the people who inflicted such atrocity on our Nation.

2. Parsley September 11, 2010 at 11:13 am #

The History Channel is doing a special over 9/11. I have it on and can barely watch it. It makes me angry. It makes me sad. It makes me wonder if others HAVE forgotten the evil that happened on our soil just for being who we are…America.

I’ll never forget. I’m glad justice is in God’s hands otherwise today would drive me crazy. I can’t even post on this subject. My husband did but I just can’t.

3. Sue @Rue Mouffetard September 11, 2010 at 11:14 am #

My daughter living in Manhattan had just been let go from her very first job as an attorney due to layoffs and she was devastated….I told her to come home to Georgia…I told her that everything happens for a reason and not to be upset….She got home on September 9th…
    She stayed home for awhile then had to get back so I rented a car and drove her….she refused to fly…she didn’t want me to leave her once I got her back….We walked down to the site while it was still open and we go up close and I will never forget how massive the destruction was…I don’t think people that only saw it in pictures really realizes how huge the damage was….and how for blocks and blocks windows were blown out and everything inside the shops were covered with inches and inches of soot….I know I will never forget the site and the smell…and how grateful I was that my baby was safe…I flew back home and there was all of 10 people on that big Delta plane that day…..thank you for your post.

4. Nerina September 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

Such a wonderful tribute….a day etched in our minds.
    My son’s first day of school, had the day off and just came home, turned on the television and the first plane had just made contact. Was glued to the television for what felt like forever!! Such tragedy…and for what I ask you.
    I as well as the rest of the world will always remember this day and the pain inflicted on so many!!

5. beth September 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

I was at home with my little ones, doing laundry, I believe, when my sister called me. She told me what was going on and my immediate reaction was “what’s the World Trade Center”? To be completely honest, I really didn’t care. But something compelled me to turn on my tv. I couldn’t quit watching it all day. I couldn’t quit crying and praying for the all the innocent people that lost their lives. I was angry, frustrated, and shaken.
    Thank you for this post, Deborah. I will never forget that day.

6. ain't for city gals September 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

Deborah, I am more upset and sad on this Sept 11 than I was on Sept 11, 2001. At least nine years ago we had the little luxury of saying who knew….when the President of the United States says on national television (in July of this year in response to Arizona trying to do the federal governments job on immigration) that “It is impossible to protect our borders…they are too vast” that was the day that I thought of the people who gave their lives on Sept 11, 2001 and cried for them and their families. To protect our borders is the NUMBER ONE job of the federal government…not the economy, not healthcare and certainly not stimulus programs to the corporations that are running our country. I will not forget…

7. Oklahoma Granny September 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

I will absolutely never forget that day. I was at work early. One of the engineers in my group and I were at another secretary’s desk upstairs when the news came on the tv in her boss’ office. We rushed back downstairs. I turned the tv on in our conference room and we gathered our group. As we watched the news unfolding one of the managers started pacing back and forth. Finally he told us that his son, who was attending one of the NYC universities, had a temporary summer job in an office building near the towers. He wasn’t sure if his son had left the job yet or not to return to school. He was so worried where his son might be. As it turned out, the young man’s temp job had ended and he was in his apartment when the attacks happened. But one of our vice president’s family wasn’t spared. His brother was killed in the attack. Such an incredibly tragic, sad day in our country’s history.

8. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 11, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

We were living in Germany. I was pregnant and on bed rest with Sweet Boy who had already tried to come early at 6 and 7 months along. My daughter was at school which was located on the base. The base was immediately shut down. No traffic could move in or out. Thankfully my husband was also at work on the base and went to go pick her up and brought her back to his office where they stayed for the next 24 hours. I had to turn the tv off. As I was watching everything live, I remember seeing the people who were jumping…….
    I saw the second place crash into the building….
    It was too much and I thought that I would once again go into labor, alone.
    So I quietly sat and prayed for several hours.

We have hung our flag in remembrance today of those lost.

Long may she wave.

9. The Starr Family September 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

Thank you for poignant gentle reminder… never forget indeed.

10. Dee September 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

I could never forget if I tried. My family and I were vacationing on Marthas Vineyard. I usually never watch the TV while on vacation, but my husband brought my coffee out on the deck and we were just breathing in the gorgeous clean ocean air. He turned on the TODAY show and I will never forget the faces. I kept second guessing what I was actually seeing. We have family and friends that work in the City ~ many in the financial district. The rest of the vacation was eerily silent. The Vineyard is quiet after Labor Day anyway – but this was deafening. Most left on the Island crammed into the small Churches (not equipped to handle so many) the rest just stared at each other ~ no words fit. September 11th holds a special place in my nightmares. I will never forget and I am a changed person because of it ~ I think we all are.

11. Megan September 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

I did a post on this today also. I remember exactly as if it were yesterday where I was. I was visiting my parents in Nebraska with my son who was 1 at the time. I was getting ready to drive to the airport that morning and fly back home to Illinois. My husband called and said, “run to the t.v. You aren’t going anywhere!”. I ran to the t.v. and dropped the phone and started crying. I ran to get my mom and we just sat there in shock. I remember we jus sat there glued to the television for hours. Thankfully James was so little he didn’t have any glue what was going on. My younger sister was in California at the time and we were worried since she worked in San Francisco were they going to hit the Golden Gate Bridge? I think every major landmark could have been a target!

I ended up staying in Nebraska for another week and I made my husband drive 8 hours to come and get us. I was not getting on a plane and it was 5 years before I even got on another one!

Thank you for remembering the victims!

Megan

12. Molly September 11, 2010 at 11:51 pm #

I know I will never forget and also find it so hard to forgive, but forgive I must because the Bible tells me too. I pray every night and ask God to give me strenght to forgive these terrible deeds and for strenght to understand why. It was indeed a black day in America’s History.
    Molly

13. Alaina September 12, 2010 at 6:24 am #

You are right, I hope we never forget. I also hope they never turn Sept. 11th into a holiday because I fear it will become just another day off for most. On this day I always remember where I was when I first heard the news of the first tower crash and the feeling I had that whole day and the days that followed. We are only a few minutes drive from the Niagara power plant and every year there is some fear that someone will try to blow it up. Several of my husbands fellow volunteer firemen friends went to help at ground zero and we are reminded by the letter of thanks that hangs on the wall. That day has forever changed all of our lives and still does.

14. Anonymous September 12, 2010 at 9:47 am #

It’s amazing to me that it was 9 years ago. I will never forget that morning. I will also never forget the fear I felt in the days that followed.

15. Cheri September 12, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

I could never forget.
    The day still haunts me …. how I felt, where I was. the fear. the uncertainty.
    then the unity of our country — the bonding. That’s where we should still be — a country united like we were 9 years ago.

16. the cottage child September 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

There aren’t words. I’m still working on “forgive”.

17. Cass at That Old House September 13, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Good Morning, Deborah — I just read your comment on my Friday post, and I’m glad I made you laugh. I read this post of yours on Saturday, and cried.

From where we used to live, we could see the smoke over the skyline, and I swear that 20 miles west of the Lincoln Tunnel we could smell it in the days to come. For a long time, my husband would come home from work, and his suits would smell of that smoke.

Howard didn’t normally would have been at work that day and as a reporter might have been dispatched to the WTC as soon as the first plane hit — but he was home because he had a doctor’s appt.

I remember the ones we lost, the memorial services without any remains, the eerie quiet at local suburban construction sites because all the heavy equipment had been moved into the City, the military trucks and personnel everywhere — bridges, roads, even the highways ‘way out in the boonies.

I remember the empty quiet skies, except for the big bombers that would pass overhead several times a day. I remember the fundraisers, the look in people’s eyes, the overweening grief and shock, the new kindness of people one to the other — when asked “How are you doing?” then, it was sincere.

I remember the frustration of friends who are EMTs and doctors who were called to duty at the site in the first days — and who found themselves with little to do as there were so few survivors. Even the search & rescue dogs became depressed at their lack of success.

I remember seeing old friends and former colleagues pop up on the TV screen, covered in soot or wearing someone else’s clothes, telling their tales of escape and horror, and their “why me?” guilt at having survived.

I remember how this world-shaking tragedy brought out the best in the American people, and the best in many of our politicians. For our police, fire, and military personnel there are no words to describe their courage and grace, and now some are paying dearly for their exposure to the noxious atmosphere at the site; some are dying now — belated victims of 9/11.

and I remember the outpouring of sympathy and love from so many overseas.

Never again.
    Whatever it takes, never again.

Thanks for your beautiful post on Saturday. I stayed away from the blog that day — I’d have started saying something, and like this comment I’d have just rambled on and on. I will never get over that day, and I know that’s how so many others feel as well. It was a terrible wound, and it woke the sleeping giant that was the USA at the time. Life has not been the same since.

God bless us and all peace seeking people in this world,
    Cass

18. janean September 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

my DIL called me and i remember the strength leaving my legs when i saw the tower collapse on TV.