Circle of Life

“A dead hydrangea is as intricate and lovely as one in bloom.” ~ Toni Morrison

I was recently inspired by my lovely friend Rhoda of Southern Hospitality who made a free fall wreath using a grape vine base and magnolia leaves. I have grape vines.

Grape Vine

I have hydrangeas.

Hydrangea

So yesterday I jumped on the conservative wagon of using what I have to create and decorate. I soaked, cut and wove. This is my final result—

Hydrangea Wreath

If you would like to do something similar I suggest cutting flowers when the temperature is cooler and the flower stem is fully hydrated. This is particularly important with hydrangeas because they require a lot of water and the lack of it is why hydrangeas wilt so fast. Submerge the entire flower head of your cut hydrangea into room-temperature water for one to two minutes before you begin to make your wreath. This process will greatly extend their life and make the stem more flexible to work with.

I didn’t need to accessorize the wreath. Mother Nature took care of that when the few remaining butterflies landed.

Hydrangea and Butterfly

Linking up to Southern Hospitality’s Fall Projects Party.

Linking up to Cottage Instinct’s Make it 4 Monday.

Linking up to Keeping It Simple Motivate Me Monday.

Linking up to The Nesting Place

29 Responses to Circle of Life

1. Michelle Hughes October 9, 2010 at 10:45 am #

that is so pretty!!

2. Zuzu October 9, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Oh Deborah, this is gorgeous! It even received Mother Nature’s Seal of Approval! I get a kick out of going out into the forest and making something from whatever I find. Fun and free. Doesn’t get any better than that! :)

Have a great weekend!
    ~ Zuzu

3. Kathy Eykamp October 9, 2010 at 11:15 am #

Deborah, the wreath is very pretty and the butterfly makes it perfect! Hope you didn’t go out there with the glue gun and try to make it permanent!!! I love, love, love this time of year. The kids have been sleeping outside and it’s just cold enough for cider and hot chocolate.

Hope you are enjoying your fall too.
    Kathy

4. purple flowers October 9, 2010 at 11:27 am #

Your wreath is beautiful! You should feel so proud of yourself. I was always too shy about making one, but I should reconsider the idea.
    Happy Weekend – it’s a delightful Autumn day out there!

5. betsy October 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

Beautiful! Your hydrangeas are so nice, mine had dark brown spots on them.
    I really like the pix of the butterfly, what a nice touch he made to your wreath.
    betsy

6. Dee October 9, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

HI Deborah ~ That is gorgeous. My hydrangea is the perfect shade of green and burgandy right now. If only I had the time. So beautiful ~ Thanks and have a great weekend. Dee ~

7. 'D' October 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Deborha,
    I had similar faux wreaths on our front doors, that I just took down. They weren’t nearly as pretty as your real ones and I had to pay lots of $’s for mine. I just love that lime green look of the Hydrangeas, but we don’t have any in our yard. I’ve asked my husband several times for Hydrangeas and a Magnolia Tree, but he seems to turn a deaf ear to my request. He’s outside the window in this room, right now, planting Knockout Roses around an old fountain that we had at on Pa. home, I’d much rather he chose those beautiful hydrangeas.:(
    Enjoy this beautiful weather.

Hugs
    ‘D’

• Judy October 12, 2010 at 10:04 am #

At least your man takes some interest. Mine wouldn’t know a rose from a tulip.

8. Dawn October 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

OMGosh! The butterfly is real! How cool. I can’t believe you made your own grapvine wreath. That’s awesome!

9. Pondside October 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

What a pretty fall wreath. The butterfly’s landing was just the perfect embellishment!

10. Jennifer October 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

how beautiful! great job Deb!!

11. Maureen October 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Deborah!
    That is beautiful. I am inspired!

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog this AM. You can call me Kate. or Sarah. or Jane. I’ll take it! We’re friends. I grew up being called every single one of my siblings’ names, so I’m used to it.

I just need your email to send you an invitation to my blog (I hoped we could stay connected.)
    Enjoy your weekend,
    Maureen

12. Shirley October 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

Beautiful wreath! I wondered why my hydrangeas wilted so fast after cutting, now I know. Thanks.

13. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality October 9, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Oh, Deborah! How pretty is that wreath. Thanks so much for the shout-out, yours is equally stunning. Love that you walked outside & made it from what you have too. It is SO pretty. Happy Fall to you, my friend.

14. Anne October 9, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

This is absolutely beautiful!

15. beth October 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Deborah! Your wreath is absolutely gorgeous!! My Hydrangeas have quit producing flowers, but I have been cutting my mums and making bouquets out of them. They are pretty, too, in their own way, but I LOVE Hydrangeas!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
    Beth.

16. Anonymous October 9, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

Deborah, I love the simplicity of this. So beautiful and elegant. Now if you could only get the butterflies to stay permanently.

Have a blessed evening. Hugs…Tracy :)

17. Alaina October 10, 2010 at 7:02 am #

The wreath is beautiful and I am not suprised by the butterfly, I have a feeling they frequent your gardens. Have a lovely weekend.

18. Cass at That Old House October 10, 2010 at 9:12 am #

Deborah, that is stunning!
    Hmmm… I too have grapevines and hydrangea.
    Hmmmm….
    Am I up to this challenge?
    Cass

19. The Twice Remembered Cottage October 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Oh, Deborah – it’s just gorgeous! Beautifully done! I’ve been telling hubs that I would love to have hydrangea bushes next year because I love all that can be done with the blooms…like make beautiful wreaths!

I thought the butterfly was a little accent you added, hehe. I was thinking, “It looks so real!”

Great job, Deborah. It’s looks so pretty on your door!

20. The Twice Remembered Cottage October 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

{And can I add that it’s super neat that you made your own grapevine wreath?!} Maybe I need to grow some grapes, too!

21. Kate{Starr Family} October 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm #

It is lovely Deborah! I always save my last few hydrangea blooms… they are perfect to scatter around the house in the fall and save to use in the spring!

22. Margitta October 11, 2010 at 7:05 am #

This is beautiful! … I’m afraid I couldn’t have it on the front door (to stormy here in autumn), but it would look as nice inside, wouln’t it?

23. the gardeners cottage October 11, 2010 at 8:17 am #

wow, this is gorgeous. as the hydrangeas dry then you will see more of the grapevine. genius.
    how come i’ve never been to your blog before? i’m always the last to know.

~janet

24. Laura Ingalls Gunn October 11, 2010 at 8:40 am #

Oh I love this. I am sure it will dry beautifully. I have some lovely things to send you.

Will email soon.

25. Laney October 11, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

I love it! We have the most beautiful hydrangea bush when we lived in North Carolina. It was right outside our bedroom.

I tended to it lovingly, and then we moved back to NJ where I have weeds. :-( I hope to plant hydrangeas next year.

26. Andrea October 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

WOW….how will this dry? I hope you will post more pics….thanks for stopping by Metis and wishing you a lovely week. I’ll say it again, WOW I love that wreath!!

27. Rhonda October 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

I love everything about your hydrangea wreath. I would love to have one hanging on my front door too!!!! Perfection!

28. Spencer October 16, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

Love the colors….love the wreath….and that butterfly… Perfection.

Warm blessings,