Fall Fell On the Fairfield House

“Autumn, the year’s last, loveliest smile.” ~ William Cullen Bryant

I know I am the last one to post about my fall decor but I cannot decorate with apples, pumpkins, gourds and flowers in August and expect them to last through Halloween.

Everything was either homegrown, homemade, purchased from the local farm market, The Dollar Tree store or Mediocre Mike’s (what I call my local Good Will) with one exception.

Autumn Fireplace

Autumn Mantel

The mantel features a crow (from Dollar Tree) in a cage perched on a contemporary vampire tale, “Eclipse”.

Caged Crow

Alongside are three silver candlesticks with different colored gourds on top of them.

Next is a grapevine wreath, another crow, and more multi-colored gourds.

Grapevine Wreath

An 1845 leather 1st edition of Poe’s “The Raven and Other Poems” balances the modern literary counterpart on the opposite side of the mantel.

The Raven

Raven First Edition

Another crow and gourd are set upon the white porcelain plates of an antique scale.

Raven Scale

The hearth is overflowing with pumpkins, gourds and flowers. Autumn is my favorite season and I love the colors and scents of harvest.

Hearth

The fireplace has built in floor to ceiling bookcases on each side which take up an entire wall.  Unfortunately, the lighting, shape, and size of the room prevented me from getting a panoramic shot showing all of it.

Shelves

Looks like one of the crows escaped. He had his own key!

Escaped Crow

Our resident mouse is working on a special little something for ‘Puter and Mishka (our Siamese cats)  under candle light  as a crow watches.

Mouse Spell

A vintage silver sugar bowl holding spells stands upon an antique scale.

Spells

My antique Underwood typewriter is adorned with flowers.

Underwood

The shelf pictured below features some trunks, a vintage black cat Halloween decoration, apples, Indian corn, gourds, mums, a piece of pottery, and my newest treasure, a  Good Housekeeping Autumn Tin (part of a season series) that I received from a friend.  Thank you, Kim for sending some Twice Remembered Cottage charm to The Fairfield House!

Harvest Shelf

Apples and Corn

37 Responses to Fall Fell On the Fairfield House

1. Victoria October 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Ahh! I love it all! Your brilliant Deborah. Don’t be surprised if I snag a couple of ideas from you for our little 1900’s house. I hope you and T are well.

-V

2. sandra October 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm #

I love your flowers and pumpkin display around the fireplace opening…and the saying is precious. I am really into black birds this year and I love the old book opened by the bird…great ideas.

3. purple flowers October 13, 2010 at 5:28 am #

I love all your decorations and the way you display them. I found the E.A.P.’s dedication very interesting.
    Thank you for sharing!

4. Jennifer October 13, 2010 at 6:02 am #

Beautiful Deb! I love the details. :)

5. Missy October 13, 2010 at 6:42 am #

Hey Deborah!
    I absolutely LOVE everything you’ve done for fall!! I am TOTALLY in love with you little white scale, it’s precious! (and your typewriter too!) Everything looks perfect and pristine! :) The crow with the key around his neck if funny…so cute!
    Hope you have a great day! OH, I decided on ordering a new crock pot to review…I got the one I have now as a wedding gift 25 years ago!! It’ll be nice to have a new one to work with. :)
    HUGS to you and Love ya much!

6. 'Aunt Amelia' October 13, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Glorious post, Dear One! Thank you!!!

I’m sure we’d all love to visit Fairfield House.

Gentle hugs…

7. Pat@Back Porch Musings October 13, 2010 at 8:23 am #

Gorgeous Fall at Fairfield House!

8. Kathy Eykamp October 13, 2010 at 8:29 am #

Deborah! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!! That’s the stuff I like; old, tarnished and paint chipped. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Kathy

9. Michelle Hughes October 13, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Love it! I love how your fireplace is overflowing with fall goodness :) Oh, and I ADORE Eclipse…. possibly my favorite of the series!

10. Beth@A2Z October 13, 2010 at 11:04 am #

Wow! I love your vintage scales all decked out with Halloween lovelies! Your firebox bursting forth with flowers and pumpkins is divine too. Thanks for linking up!

11. Jess @ Reclaimed Marketplace October 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Love these ideas! Where can I buy a black crow! I think I need one! Great post!

12. Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife October 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

WOW! It’s so beautiful. I love it!

You did an amazing job!

Happy Fall!

13. Kate{Starr Family} October 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

So many details… and the hearth exploding with pumpkins is GORGEOUS!

By the way, I do love the quote you used; I may have to frame that for Autumn in my own home!

14. Anne October 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

What gorgeous seasonal vignettes!
    So many great ideas. :-)

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Anne

15. Carmen October 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

I love every last detail. I got a smile out of the little mouse. Too cute. I love the crows. I have decorated with them everywhere this year too. I adore the pumpkins/gourds and flowers display on the hearth. So pretty!

16. Alaina October 14, 2010 at 10:54 am #

It looks great, I love it all. All the little details are great, the key, old paper, books, camera and I want a typewritter like that! I have one in mind but they are taking their sweet time getting it priced. I enjoy seeing the fall colors when I do not have that much in my own home. Happy Fall Deborah.

17. Centsational Girl October 14, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Oh, how lovely! That fireplace display is perfection, such a fresh and gorgeous medley of color!
    xo
    Kate

18. Zuzu October 14, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Oh my gosh, Deborah, this is gorgeous! And fun! I do very little to decorate for fall – there’s plenty going on just outside my window. And besides that, I’m having too much fun seeing what everyone else is doing! :)
    Thanks for your sweet visit – you always write the bestest comments!
    Zuzu

19. beth October 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

Your fireplace and mantel are so pretty!! I’m envious. :)
    Hope you are having a great day!
    Beth.

20. Janean October 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

just soooooooooooooo cool with the typwriter and raven…..all that just spilling out of your fireplace….great ideas!

21. Laney October 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

How come you use all of that stuff and it looks fabulous? When I use all of my stuff it ends up looking like the fall decoration box regurgitated.

The Twilight book? Awesome touch!

22. Laura Ingalls Gunn October 15, 2010 at 9:08 am #

Eek! and Squeel! Oh you do have the gift don’t you? The Poe book has my hands absolutely itching to touch it. How did you come to be the keeper of such a treasure?

At least 2 dozen people wanted to take the floorcloth home. Alas, it was made specifically for our Metis booth. Mr. Decor, my ever faithfull project assistant, says the floorcloth shoppe is currently closed. :)

Lastly, I have not posted any fall decor in my home at all! It is hard when it is 100 degrees. The closest I’ll get is the homemade applesauce post that is coming next week.

23. Porch Days October 15, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Your display is genius! So much to see when one looks at the details. I understand feeling you get your territory back when the tourists leave. I lived in Cooperstown, NY for a few years. Loved it when the tourists left and I could find a parking place to go to the library and post office. When are you going to start a new blog sale party?
    Nancy

24. A Contented, Common Life October 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment…. I love your Fall mantel. The crows add just the right touch! I often think it would be neat to have a stuffed crow or raven and nickname him Edgar…. He would live in our library.
    Amy

25. Corey Villicana October 15, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Amazing Deborah! Just beautiful! Oh how I wish I could visit the FFH! xoxo

26. Parsley October 15, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

I don’t know how I missed this post but WOW! You really have a great eye for decor! I agree with others…I wanna come visit!

27. Lisa October 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

It all looks fabulous!! I especially love all the pumpkins and flowers arounf the bottom. It’s so abundant and wonderful!

28. shabbycottagegirl October 18, 2010 at 4:30 am #

I love love LOVE that sign you have right below the mantel “Live By the Sun, Love By the Moon”. Where on earth did you get it! The rest of your display is quite lovely as well. But that sign… L-O-V-E it!
    ~Amber

29. eamangini October 18, 2010 at 8:01 am #

Looks fabulous! Very Halloweeny, but not over the top!

30. hilary October 18, 2010 at 8:04 am #

I love it all! The fire place looks amazing! Thanks for visiting today… I will definately see you around… I adore your home. 😉

31. Colleen October 18, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Beautiful! LOVE LOVE LOVE the fireplace..soo inviting!

32. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home October 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

What pretty decor. I like all of the fresh items on the hearth and the vintage items in the bookcases. Nice job.

33. Kim McLaughlin October 23, 2010 at 8:14 am #

I drooled all over my keyboard! Your mantel is just spectacular – love what you did in front of the fire. Why can’t I think like that?

34. the cape on the corner October 29, 2010 at 9:56 am #

what wonderful goodies, and i like that you took off the cover of twilight in the second shot. really goes with your decor much better, vintage looking like that. and the lovliness of the pumpkins and the mums. how wonderful!

oh yes, you should absolutely go to the pumpkin carve next year, are you local enough? i imagine so…the address having “nj” in it i assume is new jersey. I’m so glad you stopped by the cape on the corner, and hope to see you again!

35. Love of all Things Vintage. October 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Hey there! I love it! The scrolls are brilliant. Thanks for coming by my page and leaving a comment. I appreciate an amazing old school Halloween/ Fall Decoration when I see one. You are very talented.

36. WhisperWood Cottage July 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

That leather first edition book is stunning! Love that scale, too! Thanks for linking up to The “Autumn Décor” Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

37. Lisa Palmese September 25, 2013 at 7:14 am #

What a Beautiful Home and what a Beautiful Job you did decorating for Fall.
    I’m with you it’s hard for me to Decorate so Early but allot of Bloggers do. I Just Love That Fireplace I’m hoping it’s a working fireplace Because I can see you by the warm fire with some hard cider and a good book .
    Lisa