Eat and Run (To the Stores)

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our
treasures. ~ Thornton Wilder

Harvest Blessings
The company has departed, left overs stored, and the china and silver washed and put away. We hope everyone enjoyed this Thanksgiving and found themselves blessed with the company of friends and family.

As I recover from my food induced coma, I invite you all to read one of my first posts. Enjoy!

Wild Turkeys

Why did the turkeys cross the road? To get to the Black Friday sales!

16 Responses to Eat and Run (To the Stores)

1. Susan G November 26, 2010 at 2:28 am #

Happy Thanksgiving!!

we have several large flocks of wild turkeys roaming around down here! It is amazing, that there are all these hens with babies but yet we never see a tom turkey (obviously they around or there wouldn’t be any babies) we did, at one time own a tom and a female turkey, we were never successful with babies, we actually think the TOM was too big to fertilize. LOL

Many blessings to you and yours,
    Susan

2. Missy November 26, 2010 at 7:34 am #

Okay Deborah…I read your old post and had to control myself from not bursting into laughter…you know, the kind with snorts and all. (tryin’ not to wake the house up here!) That was too funny! You reminded me of myself when I try to get that one coveted item that my children just can’t live without. :)I can just see you hugging a fridge~! lol I do that when I find something I want…grab it like someone’s going to rip it out of my arms. (which is very possible on black friday!) ;0) I do black Friday every year..it’s my most favorite shopping day out of the whole year. I hate to grocery shop, but black friday is a whole nother ballgame! :)
    We had a wonderful Thanksgiving! My immediate family all came, including sweet pea (she’s just beautiful!), TJ’s parents, my parents and also my brother…it was just lovely. The only downside…I don’t think we had many leftovers… gah! lol
    Have a great weekend my friend! :)
    Hugs
    Missy

3. Jennifer November 26, 2010 at 8:42 am #

I remember that post well! :) Glad you had a good Thanksgiving; no shopping for us today because it is wintry out there; we’ll snuggle in instead!
    Have a great weekend!

4. 'Aunt Amelia' November 26, 2010 at 9:35 am #

“Why did the turkeys cross the road? To get to the Black Friday sales!”

-chuckle- Good one!

5. Rhonda November 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

That is too funny! Did you take part in the Cabbage Patch doll riot? Or just maybe…it was you who started it!!!!! Har! You know we all have you pictured doing this even though we don’t have a clue how you look! Thanks for the laugh.

• Deborah November 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

Just picture me in that story as Daffy Duck clutching a giant gemstone, “Mine, mine, mine, go, go, go,shoo, shoo! It’s all mine I tell you; I’m independently wealthy, I’m comfortably well off….consequences, schmonsequences…as long as I’m rich…” :)

6. Becky November 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Oh, I enjoyed reading that! I actually shopped midnight-3am this morning & kept thinking about my bed. I have never gone Black Friday shopping that early before & will not do it again! (thankfully, I did get some good deals to make it worth it.)

7. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here November 26, 2010 at 11:07 pm #

I read your post about the refrigerator and had to laugh! Last year my husband went to Walmart on Black friday. The store opened at 5:30am and he arrived thirty minutes early hoping to get a GPS. He drove past the front door and there were hundreds of people lined up to get in. Hubby never even parked his car. He came staright home and went back to bed! Thanks for sharing your story.
    Sherry

8. Sue @Rue Mouffetard November 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Let me first mention that I love that you guys have wild turkeys in Jersey….I thought I spotted one once on the lawn next to my house down here in Georgia only to have my Southern neighbor tell me it was a buzzard….I was so disapointed….now for your fridge incident…you told the story like a pro…I was right there along side you…being shoved and pushed by the masses…
    I have to admit that I made the Boss take me out on Thanksgiving night around 7:00 to Michaels….not 7:00 a.m. on Friday but actually on Thanksgiving…as we drove over everything was closed…gas stations…McDonald’s….everything…and I thought for sure that I had once again read an ad wrong…but no…. as we pulled into the parking lot Michaels was lit us brighter then a Christmas tree….their poor employees looking haggered and hungry….but they were all cordial…You see I don’t believe in rewarding retail business’ for making their employees work on a holiday but I needed a big frame for an oil painting of Boo that I am having done for the Boss for Christmas and they were on sale for 50% off with an extra 30%…from 5:00-9:00….and I would do anything to save a buck…I’m sure they all went home and had a lovely re-heated dinner!! Hope your holiday and the day after was wonderful! Your friend Sue…

9. Zuzu November 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

The only time I ever stood in line before the store opened was for the Great Cabbage Patch Doll craze in ’83. Seems so long ago – and so crazy!!! :)
    ~ Zuzu

10. Linda November 29, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Deborah, it’s very nice to meet you. I loved your story about buying your refrigerator.
    I have never fought the crowds for Black Friday. Now, you have a wonderful memory to share and chuckle about. Happy holidays to you. Stop by and say hello. Linda

11. beth November 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!! We did, too!
    We don’t go to Black Friday, can’t stand the crowds. But we did accidentally go to the store on Black Friday once, not knowing about the tradition, and we were shocked at how busy it was! We only went to the store to get a gallon of milk. We will never do that again. :)
    Hope you are having a nice day.
    Beth.

12. Laura Ingalls Gunn November 30, 2010 at 9:28 am #

Oh to live in the land of plenty. I have pretty much now finished my shopping and will now peacefully concentrate on finals and final projects. How is school for you this semester?
    Have you had your first snow?

Thank you from the bottom of my corsage making heart for your kind comments.

13. Victoria December 1, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Too funny! I remember when we first went to TN this past vacation, we had a whole group of turkeys show up right beside the cabin. There must have been 20 of them. Were these ones in your garden?

14. Kim McLaughlin December 1, 2010 at 10:15 am #

What a great story! I love the part where everyone started turning on eachother. We’re from Jersey, it’s kind of expected isn’t it? LOL!!! I’ve only done the BF thing a couple times, but never pulled an all-nighter. I think for some people, it’s part of their Holiday tradition and they actually look forward to it. I did the Cyber-Monday thing this year, but still not sure if I made out any better than I would have on another day….
    xoxo,
    Kim

15. Anna Poole December 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

We have herds of turkeys around here too, the boys keep threatening to shoot one, but I hear they are quite different tasting than the store bought kind.