Impressions

The best portion of a good man’s life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love. ~ William Wordsworth

Thank you all for your comments, e-mails and cards regarding the loss of our best friend, Buster. Your kindness means more than I can express. I know there will come a time when I will be able to recall my adventures with him without tears filling my eyes or speak his name without my voice cracking but for now it’s enough to repeat the mantra that echoes in my heart:  Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. Fairfield House mailbox in the snow

What a pleasure it was going to my mailbox and finding such sweet surprises and best wishes from readers and fellow bloggers! Thank you for the beautiful Christmas cards and gifts. They warmed my spirit on the cold December days.

Mantels, vignettes, trees,  baking and craft projects, I managed at my own pace but was unable to participate in the link parties I had originally intended.  While decorating, reading home magazines, watching HGTV specials,and blog hopping I became overwhelmed at the tasks and underwhelmed for Christmas.
Until a  friend’s post jolted a memory.

Your house was a safe haven.
There was no screaming, no punches or property being thrown.
There were no words that stung and left scars on my heart.
I considered you an artist, although you were modest and denied the title.
I would escape toting a sketch pad and pencil and sit across from you
at your kitchen table while your babies napped.
This was your only free-time that could have easily been spent
catching up on housework, watching a talk show
or chatting with a woman your own age on the phone.
Yet you spent it with me, on me;  an eleven year old girl.
Together we would share silence and draw.
Never noticing why I was drawn here.
Perhaps I could draw myself a new childhood.
Perhaps I could become part of this picture perfect life you have.
You missed my quick glances as I attempted to memorize everything about you
So I could mirror it
Become it
“Normal”

Years later we meet in a shop
I am grown and you have aged
You recognize my eyes
But never see what I did in you
You don’t recall your kindness

But I will never forget

I turned my attention to what really matters and is most special. The best gifts I’ve ever received were wrapped in love; the giver sometimes totally unaware, using their passion, their gift from God to touch and transform my life.
And so it is here, with our small key presses we leave our impressions on one another’s lives.

Heart Ornament

39 Responses to Impressions

1. Claudia@DipityRoad January 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

You do touch MY heart — every time I come here, there is seldom a time that I am not touched to my core.

Thank you for your obvious unconditional love. I adore your inspirations and what a fantastic post this was tonight.

Just exactly what I needed. Wrapped in Love.

Backatcha :)

Claudia

2. Parsley January 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm #

This was absolutely one of the most beautiful posts ever. You are a real treasure to ‘know’ and you have blessed so many by you being you. …just as Buster blessed your life by just being himself.

Sending virtual hugs your way and a ‘knowing glance’ that says, “I understand”.

3. Mary Anne January 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

As I walk past my garden, tucked in amongst the Lily of the Valleys, Hydrangeas, their are little tributes to our lovely sweet Meg, and Herman, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and rescued Kitty, that are now in Heaven,(Iam sure all our pets will come running to greet us, tails wagging and swishing, kisses plenty). I find great joy saying hello to them each morning, the neighbors not seeing this of course! I wish you a heartfelt peaceful New Year, it seems only pet people understand the bonds we make with our pets! Be kind to yourself, and I wish you comfort.

4. Maggie January 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Love this post! Yours are always so thoughtful and well written. It’s like you can easily write what needs to be said. I do hope that your heart heals quickly. I can’t wait to read some Buster tails!

Thank you so much for taking the time to send a Christmas card! I just love it. It brought such a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart to know someone as special and thoughtful as you. You definitely are the epitome of grace and style!

5. Dee January 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Oh my friend, I am sending big warm hugs out to you along with wishes for a peaceful and glorious New Year. Beautiful post.

6. 'D' January 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

Dear Deborah,
    I wish that I could find the words to ease your pain, over the loss of your dear Buster. I haven’t been able to find them for myself over loosing my Sergei and it’s been six months now. I have lost so much of my family, and many of my four legged family thru the years and I find that it never gets any easier. But I keep trying to remind myself of something that a priest said to a husband who lost his wife. The husband said to the priest, “Why did God do this to me, why did he take my wife?” The priest replied, “Jim, Mary didn’t belong to you, she belonged to God. and he simply called her home.”
    Sergei was suffering with arthritis and I believe he had other problems that I didn’t know about, only suspected. God did us both a favor by taking him as fast as he did, so He simply took him home.
    May time heal the pain in your heart, and may God bless you with happy thoughts of your dear Buster.

((((((((HUGS)))))))
    ‘D’

7. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction January 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Once again you’ve managed to bring tears to my eyes. What a beautiful post and I can identify so much with what you’ve written. I love the lines “Perhaps I could draw myself a new childhood/Perhaps I could become part of this picture perfect life you have.” Your writing really captures the essence of how we can impact another person’s life without even realizing it — And you, Dear Deborah, are undoubtedly impacting lives through this poignant writing. Thank you for sharing your gift.

8. Margo January 7, 2011 at 12:05 am #

What a beautiful picture you have shared with us! So peaceful and serene! I have had to let go many furry loves….be kind to yourself and bask in the beauty the Lord has bestowed on you. Buster is waiting for you with Him in your mansion….I believe this!!! And mine is full as well!! Take care. Margo

9. Missy January 7, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Hey sweet lady! :) So glad to see a post from you, and such a lovely, heart warming post as well. You bless my socks off every time I talk to you…we are kindred spirits for sure! You have definitely touched my heart and left your fingerprints on my life. Your kindnesses to me have been overwhelming and I love you dearly! My heart aches for your loss… but I know, with time, you’ll be able to think of the memories you shared with Buster with smiles and not tears. But until then, know you have someone who’s praying for you.
    Love you lots
    Missy :)
    Missy :)

10. Kathleen January 7, 2011 at 3:59 am #

You have left me speechless and teary-eyed. A beautiful beautiful post.

11. Oklahoma Granny January 7, 2011 at 8:42 am #

William Wordsworth’s quote at the beginning says it all.

12. ain't for city gals January 7, 2011 at 9:00 am #

From one who has been touched by your generosity I thank you for your friendship …

13. Crystal Mary January 7, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Hello. My very first dog was called Buster. He was a brown and white border collie.. I went to Faifield Girls High School, in New South Wales Australia.
    When I look at the silver heart decortaion hanging on the Christmas tree I see love and I smell fresh pine.. All heart warming and loving.
    God Bless your new Year.

14. Laura Ingalls Gunn January 7, 2011 at 9:18 am #

I think of you. Often. Usually when I am looking into dark soulful eyes surrounded by fur. The thoughts of your saddness and loss cause a pain in my heart so deep I gasp for air.

Today there is snow. But spring is coming my friend. Spring is coming~I promise.

15. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality January 7, 2011 at 10:15 am #

Deborah, you really are a treasure and a wonderful friend to know. Thanks for sharing your heart and sweet thoughts with us. I’m so glad to count you as a friend. Hope this year is the best ever for you. xoxo

16. Sherry January 7, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful and thought provoking post. I stopped to think, am I taking the time to listen and just be there for others and to be thankful for the people and animals in my life.

17. Victoria January 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Thank you for such a heart warming post!

I especially loved your mail box pictures. This old Florida girl is loving all of the snow pictures!

With all of the traveling I have under my belt- I still havent seen snow. Can you believe it!?

18. mel January 7, 2011 at 11:54 am #

What is that? A poem by someone you know? Or is it a personal letter?

I am going to have to sit around and think on that because that is what I did to someone else….mmmm.

You always post neat stuff. Sorry about Buster.

keep in touch

• Deborah January 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

It’s a poem I wrote about a neighbor I had when I was a child who offered me ‘shelter from the storm’.

19. Beth January 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

What a beautiful and touching poem! Thank you for sharing your heart, beauty, and inspiration with us. You are a blessing!

20. LaurieAnna January 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

I hope that you realize my friend, just how special your blog is. Always touching, always inspiring, always a joy to read. Scarcely do I leave without tears in my eyes; you move me.

Although he may not be present in your home, Buster will forever live with you in your heart and in your thoughts. And, one day you will find him waiting just for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

All the best to you my sweet friend,

LaurieAnna

21. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here January 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Deborah, This is truly a beautiful post and poem. Thank you for sharing this.
    Sherry

22. Janean January 8, 2011 at 7:04 am #

if i type weird words it’s because of all the tears (sniff), but thank you for posting it. you remind me how important kindness and quiet can help heal others. hugs.

23. Anna Poole January 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

The photograph of your mailbox is splendid.

What a touching post. I’m so thankful for theses friendships we’re forming, you and the girls add so much to my life.

24. Betsy January 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Thank You for your visit to my site today Deborah. I found this rose petal idea in an old library book.
    I am so sorry about Buster. I know it hurts. You write so beautifully, I actually feel what you are saying.
    God Bless You,
    Betsy

25. Susan G January 10, 2011 at 9:54 am #

wow, I have a lump in my throat, thanks for sharing that. :)
    Deborah, I am sooo glad your days are getting a little easier without Buster, and it WILL continue to do so.

Happy, Healthy, Creative , and Prosperous New Year to you and yours!

Susan

26. Dawn January 10, 2011 at 11:55 am #

I think we have many people in our lives like that, people who really have a impact on who we become yet we never take the chance or find the right words to let them know. I’m glad the neighbor was there for you. Your writing inspires all of us who read it, I’m sure of that!

27. Gloria January 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Thank you for the beautiful post. I haven’t visited your blog in awhile and didn’t know about Buster, but I do understand the sadness that comes with the loss. But good memories do follow! May the Lord richly bless you in 2011 as you bless others.

28. Susie Harris January 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I never leave here without my heart being touched. Feeling the need to hug you and wishing we were neighbors. I could see myself in that young girls heart. Although I had a wonderful childhood, you have the art of making people feel at home here. Thank you. (((hugs))) I can only pray that your sweet spirit rubs off on me and I can pass it on. Susie

29. Rhonda January 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

Your small key presses always make an impression on me. I have never visited you without leaving with more than I arrived with. You write things that others also feel but just can’t put into words. This gift surely comes straight from our Heavenly Father. Thanks for using it here.
    I pray that your pain will continue to ease with every passing day.

30. Pondside January 11, 2011 at 1:38 am #

Deborah, I am so sorry to learn today of your loss. Buster was a beauty. You were so lucky to have found one another – it was a perfect match.
    When we lost our Rosie in September I was devastated. Rory has come into our lives and we love him to pieces, but there will never be another like Rose.
    Sending you big hugs ~

31. Zuzu January 11, 2011 at 11:29 am #

How I wish I could give you a hug, Deborah.

32. Leslie, the Home Maker January 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Oh my, Deborah.
    I loved that letter/post.
    How it warmed my soul!
    We don’t know on this side of heaven, the difference our kindness makes.
    One day, we will, and we will be in awe!
    I still have your Christmas card to me on my Cherish Board in my kitchen and it will be one that I save (it won’t get cut into a package card for next year! 😉 I see it and am reminded of your thoughtfulness.
    And every time I feed or watch my Betta fish, Buster, I think of you.
    And pray that you will be comforted as you have brought comfort.
    Love you, sweet friend.
    ~me
    P.S. I think I will send you a picture of our Buster.

33. andrea January 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

Oh Deborah…you write so beautifully…and love the mantra your living by…it’s so true. Sending you warms hugs on this very cold January day.

34. Becky January 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

I love the last 2 lines (you don’t recall your kindness but I will never forget) That is truly how it is with those that bless our hearts.

35. joycee January 13, 2011 at 7:42 am #

We never know what a few kind words, what sharing a small part of our life might mean to someone out there that’s hurting. I can see this so much in people now, at the grocery or waiting in line at the dmv…a stranger who needs to connect with another human being. Social networking allows us to reach out to people across the world but I wonder…had it also caused us to withdraw deeper into our own homes and close out the real friends in our life? Very insightful post to open our eyes and our hearts.

36. Maureen January 13, 2011 at 8:22 am #

That poem is so hauntingly beautiful. Those people who take us into their homes or hearts when we most need it (and don’t even know the significance of their role) are God’s angels.

Sending you love and peace as you mourn your Buster.
    Maureen

37. Jayme, The Coop Keeper January 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Your letter broke my heart up in a million pieces and taped it back together in ways I didn’t know possible. Thank you. Isn’t it so true that it’s just in the small little things we do for each other – oftentimes unknowingly, there is the greatest power. I’m keenly aware of this as Aaron goes through his teen angst years. Thank you for sharing yourself so generously.

38. Layla January 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Sending you a GIANT e-hug tonight, my dear.
    Thank you so much for sharing this post.
    You are such a talented writer, and I cherish your friendship so much!

:-)