Springtime in France

“I’d like to see Paris before I die. Philadelphia will do.” ~ Mae West

(Dedicated to Laura Ingalls Gunn)

While I was away from The Land of Blog, Thomas thought I needed a break and whisked me off to France. It was breathtaking.

We stayed in a quaint cottage in the French countryside.

cottage

cottage close

We ate at bistros and visited the shoppes that lined cobblestone streets.

bistro

bistro

bistro

shoppe

gallery

We road bikes on winding roads, our senses alive with the sights and scents of spring.

bicycle

painting

waterfall

We visited Paris and stayed at Hotel de Crillon which is rich in history and culture, decorated in a Louis XV style. The lobby as magnifique!

Lobby

Lobby

Lobby

Dining was superbe.

dining

dessert

There was so much to see, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe

Eiffel

Eiffel

Arche

No, nothing is like springtime in Paris.

Except of course The 2011 Philadelphia Flower Show.

Ticket

Linking to:

French Cupboard

French Country Cottage

The Charm of Home

My Romantic Home

Wit Behind the Ears

39 Responses to Springtime in France

1. stephenie from Decorating Addiction April 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Wow! What a thoughtful husband Thomas is! I’m glad to hear you got away for a bit! Had you visited France before? I’ve never been but it’s on my list of places to visit. Happy Spring! Hope you enjoyed the flower show!

Best,
    Stephenie

2. Suzanne in Atlanta April 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

You had me going there for a minute until I saw the first picture…..been there done that!!
    Believe me they didn’t even get close to Paris at the flower show…..me and daughter went and we were terrible critics of it…..bordering on tacky….but in all fairness we are NOT flower people….we had more fun eating over at the reading Terminal Market……I hate to say it but we are real Italians….it’s all about the food……

3. melissa April 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

wha?? what??? OH you are a spoiled girl! Your pics are devine!

4. Claudia@DipityRoad April 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Ok — here’s the deal. NEXT time you take a bigger trunk and take me along!

Fantastic … love them all.

5. Sara April 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

I’m with Claudia….take me next time!!

6. 1 Funky Woman April 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Too cute! At first I was thinking how fabulous for you, but then looking closely and seeing the Eiffel Tower I knew something was up!

How fun anyway. Now that’s a garden show!

Megan

7. Kathleen April 16, 2011 at 12:19 am #

Your photos are lovely! I am so glad for you that another place, another time filled with beauty was able to make you smile.

8. Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute April 16, 2011 at 1:26 am #

Boy Deborah, you really had my envy scale going up. But hey, I wouldn’t mind going to the Philadelphia Flower show. Your pics are so pretty and it was so nice of hubby to think of you.
    Have a fun weekend.
    Hugs…Tracy :)

9. Keetha April 16, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Oh, I did believe the France part – – – even after the HUGE clue in the quote – – – until I saw the Flower Show ticket!

10. Dee April 16, 2011 at 6:02 am #

That is gonna be one big trunk. Im tagging along. The dining table centerpiece gave me such an idea for my Easter table ~ Im going to work on it today. You and Thomas sure know how to live ~ whats next??????

11. 'D' April 16, 2011 at 6:34 am #

I’m happy to see that you got to the show. It’s something that has always been on my ‘To Do’ list; but I never got to do. :<(

Hugs
    'D'

12. Ginny April 16, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Beautiful! Loved those breath-taking photos!

13. Parsley April 16, 2011 at 7:07 am #

I agree with others. I think you need a group to go with you next time!

14. ain't for city gals April 16, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Either way…it is gorgeous! My niece Sarah is going next year….trying to figure out how I can sneak in her trunk!

15. Maggie April 16, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Oh, you silly girl! What a beautiful show! I am still jealous. My husband would never take me to a flower show. Love all the pictures. I want to know if you got anything though. I could use a flower show right about now.

16. Laura Ingalls Gunn April 16, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Ah Deborah you had me up until about the third image from the last and then I thought “Wait, I’ve seen this before. Recently.” Yes, T (my cousin in Philly) sent me that same image. “Argh! Deborah got me. She got me good.” Hee hee.

It is altogether so erethrally lovely. Such beauty.

Put The Keukenhof Gardens on your bucket list. Until then google it.

I remain your faithful flower girl. :) But remember that paybacks are a witch. :) hhoooohhaaaahaa!

17. Zuzu April 16, 2011 at 11:08 am #

I had to open a new browser window and google ‘2011 philadelphia international flower show’ and check out the images. Ha-haaaa, I really thought you’d been to Paris!

Glad you had a good time – looks like it was amazing!

Hugs & Happy Weekend,
    Zuzu

18. Kathy Eykamp April 16, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Glad you two got to go on a vacation, next time I think you need to go to Paris for real! The pictures are so beautiful. Everything here is covered with yellow pollen and now the “fuzzy things” are falling off my oak trees. I’m ready for this part of spring to be over with so I can enjoy being outside.

Have a good week,
    Kathy

19. Courtney April 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

What beautiful photos and a fun story to go along with it! The flower show looks amazing… Thanks for sharing this at FNF! :)

20. Twice Remembered April 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Wow, Deborah…. you really had me going! Your photos are fantastic! So much color and life to them… what a delight to view! Thank you for sharing. :)

xoxo

~Kim

21. Shirley April 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Your husband is a gem! Paris in springtime looks so beautiful. I sent you a postcard. Has it arrived?

22. Gwen April 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

Phillie or Paris, it is all about a change of scenery right? Your pictures took me away.

23. ~ ~ Ahrisha~ ~ April 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

The flowering pink trees below the Eiffel Tower looked a little fishy but I wanted to believe that someone had really gone to Paris this Spring. Looking at the picture of your lovely yellow victorian home I would never want to leave. Had good intentions but I didn’t make it to the flower show this year. Phila is a nice trip from here for just a day.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

24. Jessica April 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

First of all, the pictures absolutely take my breath away. And then the ending was like watching the Sixth Sense. I totally didn’t see it coming and went back and read the whole thing again so I could relive the surprise. Great Post!

25. Lynda April 17, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

How lovely!!! I especially liked the image with the bicycle!

😀 Lynda

26. Lynn at Cottage and Creek April 18, 2011 at 8:40 am #

What a delightful time you must have had! It looks like they did a great job with the flower show and how fun for you to enjoy a day filled with femininity and flowers. Your blog is lovely and I really enjoyed my visit.
    ~Lynn

27. Becky April 18, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Oh Deborah!! What a delight! What a show! I would love to go to a flower show like that!! The aroma that fills the air must be amazing!! Love how you teased us!! I know I couldn’t keep it a secret if I made a Paris trip! I would be announcing it from the housetop!! LOL!!

Thanks for sharing! I’m surprised that someone would think it was tacky!
    Have a wonderful week, gal!
    HUGS,
    Becky

28. Victoria April 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

I was getting so green reading this post!

How incredibly breath taking!

It sounds like you both had a blast! Cant wait how they top this next year!

29. Corey Villicana April 18, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

Wow! Beautiful! xoxo

30. Sherry April 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

These photos are stunning. I love the charming scenes you captured. That lobby is brilliant! The cloches are just huge. So pretty too. Thanks for linking this up!
    Sherry

31. Kate{Starr Family} April 19, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Philly steak and flowers… I’d certainly settle for that. :) Beautiful pictures, I just played along and pretended to have Paris envy.

32. Oklahoma Granny April 19, 2011 at 7:02 am #

Oh, my goodness! Each of your photos is just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your time at the exhibit.

33. C. Camel April 19, 2011 at 9:16 am #

I’ve been to Paris twice, but have never ventured to Philly. I hear their cheese steak is the bestest. Also, Rocky, The Phillies, The Eagles and of course, the Flyers! SOLD!

34. Dawn April 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Ahhh…you had me green with envy. Such a tease! I’m still envious though. What a beautiful event. I’m sure Thomas would wisk you away if he could just get past all your minions.

35. Laura Ingalls Gunn April 20, 2011 at 11:00 am #

It’s such good eye candy that I had to come back again.

Is it springtime there?

36. Cass at That Old House April 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Well my very first thought was, “Now WHY would Deborah go to Paris, when she has New Jersey all around her?”
    My next thought was …. “Ah-hah! Is that my leg I feel getting pulled?”

Very cute. I love flower shows, even though they make me feel like such an under-achiever.
    Gorgeous photos!

I was away for 5 days supervising painting at the beach house — just got home and can’t believe that things are finally, really greening up in the yard here. Hooray!
    Cass

37. Rhonda April 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

You tickle me! I have learned to read your posts very slowly and carefully! You are a sneaky writer sometimes!!!
    I did have fun though, reading all of the comments!
    It looks like the flower show was fabulous!

38. Karena April 23, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

Deborah thankyou so much for honoring my dear friend Laura!

What an exciting trip to Paris as told through your story!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

Come and enter my very Fashionable Giveaway from the French Basketeer!

39. peggy aplSEEDS May 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

lovely post! i will be in Paris for a few days next month and your post has made me even more excited!