Sun Day School

“Every friend is to the other a sun, and a sunflower also. He attracts and follows.” ~ Jean Paul Richter

I learned these lessons from a field of sunflowers:

Keep your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

Sunflowers

Stand tall and firm in your beliefs.

The sky’s the limit.

Sunflower Field

There is beauty in simplicity.

Today sows the seeds of tomorrow.

Sunflower Close

23 Responses to Sun Day School

1. vicki August 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

OH, I LOVE sunflowers Deborah! Wise words here, thanks:)

2. Parsley August 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

This is perfect! Now sunflowers will have new meaning to me.

3. LindaG August 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

What a beautiful field!

4. Kathleen August 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

I love sunflowers. They make me smile. :)

5. Becky August 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Love the quotes and the photos, Deborah!! Sunflowers are such happy flowers!! How are you doing gal? Hope your week is lovely! All is good here, just busy working on shop stuff for Fall!!

Love n hugs,
    Becky

6. Karena August 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I love that you are featuring The Kansas State Sunflower! Great quote!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

Do come and enter my Giveaway from Dr Perricone!! It is very exciting!

7. Claudia@DipityRoad August 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Hey GF!! I am driving the back roads looking for Sunflowers.

They are not that apparent this year in Utah.

Great! shots

Hugs– hope your summer is going well.

8. 1 Funky Woman August 2, 2011 at 12:24 am #

What beautiful words to think of as I go off to Dreamland! Nighty night!

Megan

9. lisa August 2, 2011 at 6:04 am #

This is beautiful…
    Lovely pictures….inspirational words.
    Have a wonderful week…
    Lisa

10. ain't for city gals August 2, 2011 at 6:23 am #

The sunflower is my favorite, Deborah !…when it comes down to it that is all we can do..keep our face to the sun and keep trying.

11. Oklahoma Granny August 2, 2011 at 7:41 am #

What a great post! your photos are lovely too.

12. Corey Villicana August 2, 2011 at 10:24 am #

This is beautiful! Sebastian’s favorite flower is and has always been the sunflower, full of color and life! Thank you for being so thoughtful and creative! xoxo

13. Maureen August 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

beautiful flowers – beautiful message.

14. thecottagechild August 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

Beautiful!

15. Cass @ That Old House August 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Oh how pretty and how fun — can anyone NOT smile when they see sunflowers?

We’re heading out to the beach house this weekend ,,.. I’m going to see if I can get some pictures of sunflower fields also …, although most of them are vineyards now!

LOVE the sunflowers — and thanks for the smiles today.
    Best — Cass

16. Laura Ingalls Gunn August 3, 2011 at 10:07 am #

I’ve come back to read this post 3 times already. Your words really resonated with me. I continue to walk a bit of a rocky path and this was sweetly encouraging.

17. laura @ the shorehouse August 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

I love this!! My mom is a HUGE fan of sunflowers and her birthday is next week. I think you’ve written her birthday card. :-) I promise to give credit where credit’s due!

Where are these AMAZING sunflower fields? In our great state somewhere??

I hope your summer is going well. I think I sound like a broken record but I’m having a doozy of a time at work. And all work and no play makes Laura a dull (and slightly surly, if I’m honest) girl. I literally have hundreds of photos (not all good, mind you) that I’ve taken over the past couple of months. I miss blogging, and mostly I miss my bloggy friends. So I’m popping by for a visit. Thank you for bringing sunshine — quite literally with this post! — to my workday!

Be well, and keep facing the sun!
    Laura xo

18. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction August 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Where are all of these sunflowers? Does the Fairfield House have far more land than I imagined? I seem to remember you posting fields of peonies as well! These photos are stunning and the words that accompany them are thoughtful. Thanks for brightening my day.

19. Susan G August 5, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

BEAUTIFUL post in every way Deborah!
    Susan

20. Sharon August 6, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Hi Deborah~
    Thank you for visiting me. I do have an online shop and the Romantic Farmhouse items will be available soon.

I love the pictures of all the sunflowers. The colors are amazing, so rich.

21. Zuzu August 7, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Can’t look a sunflower in the face without smiling.

Wonderful post, Deborah! Have a happy one today.
    ~ Zuzu

22. Michele August 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

How lovely! Such a beautiful quote to accompany stunning sunflowers. Thank you for the birthday well-wishes. Have a great week. xoxo michele

23. Brenda Kula August 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Sunflowers are the hardiest and showy of flowers, yet they evoke simplicity and strength. I find an elegance in them as well. Love me a sunflower field!
    Brenda