A Place to Be

“The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you’ve ever had. ” ~ Unknown

The Porch

One of the many admired features of old homes is the front porch. It is the first impression a home makes and can tell others to keep out or extend a warm invitation to sit and stay a while. The Fairfield House is draped in patriotic pride from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Victorian detailing is evidenced in the wooden corbels, wooden posts, rails, balusters, moldings, and trim.

Front Door

The elements and time have left their marks and remind us of projects we must complete. I keep telling myself chipped paint is part of our home’s vintage charm (as seen from the road!)

Gingerbread

Porch and Rocker

The crape myrtles are now in bloom as well as the hummingbirds’ flower of choice, trumpet vines.

Porch View

Trumpet Vines

Hummingbird

The porch faces a field that goes on forever.

Open Field

After dinner Thomas and I prefer sitting on the front porch rather than the sofa. We admire the view and witness life in all it’s glory, instead of staring at the television.

Porch and Rockers

Porch View

Some nights we give a voice to dreams and disappointments. Other nights we sit in quiet solitude with gratitude, disbelief and no need for words as fireflies blink, birds sing lullabies, and the sun kisses the sky goodnight.

———-

Linking to:

Southern Hospitality Porch Party

32 Responses to A Place to Be

1. lisa August 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Oh my goodness, Deborah.
    This was absolutely beautiful! Your home is absolutely stunning…with charm at every corner…not to mention she is beautifully “dressed”.
    What a wonderful, “feel good” post on a rainy day.
    …and as always, your words are equally as beautiful.

Lisa xo
    Bilancia Designs

2. Corey Villicana August 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

I just wish we could sit together on that porch and laugh well into the night! Have a wonderful day! xoxo

3. 'D' August 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Do you think that one has to grow up with the comfort of having a front porch to be able to truly cherish one? We only have a small ‘stoop’ maybe 6’x6′. I’ve tried to get my husband to enlarge it, but he feels that we have a back porch and that here is no need for a front one too. But on days like today, when it’s raining, I want that front porch like my grandparent’s had. I want to sit in a big, rocking chair, and smell the rain, and let the mist from it splashing thru the screens, find a place on my face. I want to hear someone say, “Come in out of the rain”. Ohhhh…..But didn’t they remember being a kid, and how wonderful it felt on a hot summer day? The porch had three different climbing roses, that made their way up the three sides. There was a yellow one on the right, as you sat facing out on the porch. A large red rose climber, filled the front, with a light pink one to the left. They seemed more fragrant when it rained, leaving the porch filled with their sweet, aroma. How does one explain it all, ‘the feeling’, to someone who has not had the pleasure of it all?
    Love your porch, my dear Deborah, enjoy it.

HUGS
    ‘D’

4. Michele August 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

I could sit on your porch and look at that view all day as well. Thank you for showing us the real beauty of NJ. And reminding me that friendship is one of God’s greatest gifts.

xoxo michele

5. Becky August 14, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Sooo lovely Deborah! I know it is a joy to live in a home rich with history! Love that you leave your decor up through Labor day.

I also love your after dinner activity! Beats that danged old idiot box as my Dad would call it!!

Hugs and love to you!
    Becky

6. Claudia August 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

This post makes me just sigh. What a lovely comfortable picture you paint.

I love your porch details and of course your tribute to our wonderful country.

I especially loved your “and the sun kisses the sky goodnight”… just wonderful.

Hugs GF
    Claudia

7. Kate{Starr Family} August 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Absolutely breathtaking… what a grand porch and oh my, the view!! Thank you for sharing this with us, for those of us who do not have such a porch!

8. Maggie August 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I swear that you have the absolute hands down most beautiful porch in all of blogland. I just love it. Every time that you post a picture of it I sit here drooling over it. I just love it all dressed up in it’s summer finery. I do the same to the farmhouse, but it is nothing compared to yours. Love the bunting over the steps. Did you make that?

9. Ginny August 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

This was a perfect, outstanding post! Can I just say “WOW” ?

10. Dee August 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Oh Deborah ~ I AM envious. How I have always dreamed of such a haven as the front porch at The Fairfield House. It sounds just perfect. Dream a little dream for me tonight on the porch. Your friend – Dee

11. Margo August 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Your home is so beautiful and so peaceful! I long for a home such as that! I have cactus and rocks! :-(
    Your quote is one of my very favorites!
    Take care,
    Margo

12. Jayme, The Coop Keeper August 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Your home is fabulous! I love the chippy paint, and I’m learning to embrace my own as well. I think it makes it look more relaxed – I love it that your porch is open – our’s was enclosed sometime in the 1940’s – and I miss the charm of the open porch. You are blessed my friend! And I’m so glad you know it. : -)

13. 1 Funky Woman August 15, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing! I love the idea of sitting out with no words just the amazing serene beauty would be words enough!

Meg

14. Parsley August 15, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I love your porch area. My porch is blahhh. I’ll be right over to share a cup of tea and a chat. :-)

15. Oklahoma Granny August 15, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Your porch is just perfect! I’m so glad your house has you and your husband for occupants.

16. missy August 15, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Hey sweet girl! :) Glad you liked my camera strap..I had a blast making it!
    Your home is absolutely gorgeous! I have seen pics before, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen up close on your porch..it’s just oozing with vintage charm! (just my kind!)
    Love you lady!
    Hey are you going to Haven? I was going to go, but now I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it…we have lots of storm damage, from some nasty storms that went through on Friday. :(

17. Rhonda August 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Your front porch view is breathtaking. Fairfield House is beautiful and full of charm, but you are the reason I love it there so much! Wishin’ I could sit and talk on the porch for a while.
    Looking forward to seeing F.H. getting cozy for the fall and winter.

18. Susan G August 15, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

OMGOODNESS! I sooo want to come take “the nickel tour” and then hang out with you on your gorgeous porch with a cup of tea, enjoying the company and the view!!!
    Your home is lovely!
    Susan

19. Alaina August 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Deborah, What a beautiful front porch you have. I love all of the details of an old home. Lovely view too.

20. Vanessa Dawne August 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Hi Deborah — love your porch & your site. Thanks for commenting my glass shutters & visiting my site. I’ve added you to my RSS list & will visit regularly. Absolutely LOVE your posting schedule, hee hee.
    dawnedesign.net

21. Laura August 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

I can’t even imagine how lovely your home and your view is.

I am relatively new to your blog, and I am off to read more posts!

Laura
    White Spray Paint

22. hilary August 18, 2011 at 4:42 am #

beautiful.

23. Kathy August 18, 2011 at 9:46 am #

I know how you feel – I love my porch too! It’s nice to see that someone else house needs a little paint touch up as well. I thought we just did it but as with everything in an old house… it never ends!
    Have a great weekend,
    Kathy

24. Laura Ingalls Gunn August 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Oh the porch! I had one as a child growing up. It pains me that there no longer seems to be porches or the grand activities that accompanied them any longer.

25. Lori August 19, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

What a fabulous place to watch a sunset! Love your porch, mine it tiny and sure doesn’t have your view.

26. betsy August 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

Enchanting is what comes to mind for me as I read your post.
    The view of the field you have pictured is so beautiful. I would love to sit and listen to the afternoon breeze rustle through the growth, peaceful.
    I noticed the open window on your porch and it reminded me of the house I was raised in. It had a long wooden front porch with floor to ceiling windows. While my sisters and I would play on the porch, we always knew when dinner was ready. Mom always made home made rolls and we could always smell them cooking from the window. Your post brought back some great memories for me , I love your home and so much enjoy reading everything you share on your blog.
    Warm Wishes,
    Betsy

27. Rebecca Gunter August 20, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Deborah
    your porch is fabulous, chippy paint, red, white and blue decor and all! There is nothing better then relaxing on “the porch” and enjoying the beauty of nature! It really makes me miss my house in the country in NC, it was a old Queen Ann style farmhouse with a wrap around porch and tin roof. When it rained there was no better place to be, swinging, listening to the sound and enjoying the view! Thanks for visiting, I will be back!
    Rebecca

28. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction August 22, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

I read this post when it first came through on my phone, but couldn’t see the images. I wanted to wait to comment to see the photos from my home computer. I’m so glad I did! WOW, what a peaceful view you have from your front porch! We have old concrete steps in front of or house and we’ve contemplated building a porch right over the top of them. The problem is . . . our view is a bunch of run-down brick apartments! So . . . we’re still debating on what to do with those steps and the front of our house! Your house is one I’ve dreamt of owning for many years (as you know). It’s charming and beautiful!

29. missgracieshouse August 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Your porch is amazing…and the view, too! I just love how there is so much *beefiness* to all of the wood in old houses!
    Rene

30. Cass at That Old House August 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

DEBORAH!
    Will you be evacuating?
    Don’t make me sit up Saturday night worrying about you!!!!!
    You can always come here for refuge. 😛
    Cass

31. andrea - faded plains August 27, 2011 at 10:23 am #

I adore your porch….it absolutely lovely. I have trouble decorating my porch…therefore it’s usually empty. It’s a wrap around porch…and just plain intimidates me.

32. Linda @ it all started with paint June 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

I love the chippy charm. And the patriotic bunting. And the fact that you and your husband prefer to sit on those lovely white rockers and watch the screen that is nature unfold … and your view is just amazing.

I grew up in NJ but that was not my view …

Linda