Time In a Bottle

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

I didn’t can any of summer’s bountiful harvests.  Instead I preserved some autumn!

Jar

I’ve seen this done as “vacation memory jars” on Martha Stewart’s site and decided to save my favorite season.

Jar Close

The contents of the large vintage  canning jar includes: a tiny bird’s nest found under my honeysuckle tree and monarch butterfly wings — both discovered after Hurricane Irene. Pine cones, hickory nuts, hydrangea blooms, mini pumpkin,  bird’s feather, colored leaves,  miniature witch’s hat, broom (fashioned out of pine needles) and the face of a vintage pocket watch. I labeled the jar Autumn and tied it off with raffia and a tag.

Jar Scene

I am displaying it alongside fall’s flowers, exquisite white gladiolus and a deep burgundy dahlia, in detailed vintage silver. An outdated day book is used as a table ‘cloth’.

Gladiolus

Dahlia

May you capture your own treasured autumn moments.

———

Linking to

“It’s Fall, Y’all” at The Lettered Cottage

23 Responses to Time In a Bottle

1. Gwen September 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Those are beautiful. Still, I sort-of rather bottle summer;)

2. 1 Funky Woman September 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

Capturing Autumn in a bottle how wonderful! Fall is my favorite season but to be honest I skip right over fall decorating and go straight for Halloween! I guess its the little kid in me and I seem to get all giddy!

Preserving the memory of Fall and all its glory, priceless!

Megan

3. Margo September 26, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

It’s perfect! What a great idea!

Hugs, Margo

4. Maggie September 27, 2011 at 1:18 am #

I think this is the prettiest display for Autumn I have ever seen. What a great idea! I am going to steal this. I think the bitty one would have a ball gathering and arranging things from the fall or any season for that matter. Thanks for posting this!

5. Amanda September 27, 2011 at 6:24 am #

Beautiful

6. Michelle Hughes September 27, 2011 at 7:04 am #

I love your memory jar! September has gotten to be my favorite month. I like the in between seasons… especially in the South :)
    xo~ Michelle

7. ain't for city gals September 27, 2011 at 7:06 am #

Deborah, this reminds me of when Sarah was little…I would tell her to catch some sun and put it in her pocket and save it for a rainy day….and every once in a while I catch her still doing it…she has a special way! She is axiously waiting her bar exams results….Oct 7th…I am sure she passed….she says 50-50….lol..we have dinner riding on it!

8. LindaG September 27, 2011 at 7:12 am #

What an interesting idea!
    I could have done that, but it wouldn’t have looked nearly so pretty. :)

9. Gina September 27, 2011 at 7:12 am #

I love it. Autumn captured in a jar could not be more perfect!

10. This Old Farmhouse September 27, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Such a wonderful, unique idea. And, much more fun, less labor intensive than canning over a hot stove. Thank you for sharing! -deb from This Old Farmhouse

11. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 27, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Oh my gracious goodness. You’ve somehow managed to bottle perfection. Might have to steal this idea. :)

That dalia doesn’t even look real. It’s your witch hat isn’t it? You are a gardening witch.

I love how you took just one gladiolus bloom and floated. My birthday flower until now has never appealed to me because the stock is SO huge. But this gets a big “LIKE” ! :)

12. Layla September 27, 2011 at 8:00 am #

Jars full of little pretties make me so happy….and so do YOU! 😀

13. Vicki September 27, 2011 at 8:29 am #

That’s a great idea! October is my favorite holiday:)

14. Jane September 27, 2011 at 8:42 am #

A beautiful idea….and memory.
    Jane (artfully graced)

15. Anonymous September 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

What a nice idea!!!!

FYI……… Did you know that it is against the law to possess ANY WILD BIRD FEATHERS in North America? I didn’t. I just learned that recently from THE WILDLIFE CENTER OF VIRGINIA’S ON LINE CHAT. I find it amazing, the things that I’ve learned from their moderated discussion. They are running on line learning classes for teachers and their students, from time to time also. There was a grammer school class from Jersey yesterday, but the kids turned the tables on us, and had us guessing what wildlife they saw around their school grounds. Their hints were precious. I was so glad that I took the time to log on.

Thanks for sharing your project, I’ll have to give it a try.

{{{{{{{{{{ EAGLE HUGS }}}}}}}}}}

‘D’

16. missy September 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Hey sweet lady! :) I love your season in a jar…so beautiful and fun! Fall is one of my favorite times of the year too…just wish it wasn’t so windy. :0) Hope you’re doing ok…I sent you a letter a while back and didn’t hear from you…I was worried. I was relieved when I got the comment on my blog. :)
    Love you loads!
    Missy

17. Oklahoma Granny September 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

What a wonderful idea!

18. lisa September 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Deborah~
    This is a beautiful idea!
    I can envision these lovely jars with votive candles placed by/around them for a warm glow on a chilly evening…
    Autumn is my favorite time of year. I can’t wait to decorate and bring out the wool blankets and over-sized sweaters… :)
    Keep these wonderful ideas coming!

Warmest regards~
    Lisa Moran
    Bilancia Designs

19. claudiawrightson September 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Oh Deborah you law breaker you 😉 What a cool idea.

Just this week in a photo prompt group I belong to was the prompt — what would you put in your TIME ina Bottle? So I will take a good hint from you and create mine.

Thank you for always inspiring me. Life took a BIG ol turn for me. I have decided to not blog about it… but was layed off today. I am choosing to move forward to my next BEST adventure.

Hope you sincerely enjoy this fabulous Fall. Looks like you are well on your way!

Hugs GF
    Claudia

20. Suzanne in Atlanta September 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

You bottled the perfect season….Fall is my favorite also…Everything in my life happened in October…..my birthday……daughters birthday (same day as mine)…..wedding anniversary…on Halloween of all days…I love breaking out my sweaters and my riding boots even though we live in the South….you captured it perfect!

21. Victoria September 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

This is too pretty Deborah… I want to make one too!

Thanks for the inspiration!

22. Zuzu September 28, 2011 at 9:30 am #

LOVE this, Deborah! The perfect autumn display!
    Zuzu

23. Kim September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

So beautiful, Deborah! I love your memory jar with all the detailed elements… Do you think you’ll do one for each season? And of course, I think the Emerson quote is just perfect. You always know just the right sorts of thoughts to capture! Perfect!