New Wheels

“Every man’s life is a fairy tale written by God’s fingers.” ~ Hans Christian Andersen

I wanted to make something extra special for the Princesses in my life—Amanda, Emily, Arianna and Alexandra.

pumpkin_supplies

I had: 1 pumpkin

4 white guards aka mini-pumpkins

2 dowel rods, cut to the diameter of the pumpkin

Heavy gauge florist wire

3 ornate scrap book frames

1 ornate charm

Drill fitted with 1/4 inch bit

4 ornate buttons

Carving knife

Glue ( I have Elmer’s pictured here, but after many frustrating attempts, I resorted to using a glue gun & glue sticks)

Pumpkin Windows

First, I arranged the frames on the pumpkin, creating a door with a window on each side. I traced and cut inside each, creating openings and glued the frames around them. I cut the stem, making it flush to the pumpkin flesh and glued the charm in place.

Key

Gourd Wheels

Next, I drilled a hole through the center of each gourd and created an axle by inserting a dowel rod into the holes of two gourds. Secure them with glue and repeat to create another set. Glue an ornate button on the outside center hole of each gourd. These are the hubcaps! Now line up the two sets of wheels side by side, the same width as the pumpkin. Connect them by wrapping wire from one dowel rod to the other, securing the axles together and creating a hammock to rest the pumpkin on.

Hub

Lastly, I held my breath and said a prayer that it wouldn’t collapse as I gently placed the pumpkin upon the wire.

Pumpkin Carriage

Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo

Put ’em together and what have you got

bippity-boppity-boo

Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo

It’ll do magic believe it or not

bippity-boppity-boo

Mouse and Carriage

Mouse and Carriage

Mouse and Carriage Closeup

Mouse and Princess Carriage

Mouse and Princess Carriage

Linking to:

Debbie Doos Primp Your Pumpkin

Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen

64 Responses to New Wheels

1. Debi Mann October 8, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Oh, how cute! I love how you put it in the garden with the mouse. I think I need to have a moment and remember the story. Thanks for a refresher.

2. Erin October 8, 2011 at 10:28 am #

What a delightful fairytale autumn decoration, Deborah! It makes me smile. :) (And I thought this post–based on the title alone–was going to be about you getting a new car since your Camry died!)

Take care,
    Erin

3. Missy October 8, 2011 at 11:05 am #

That is undoubtedly the cutest thing I’ve seen all season long! :) LOVE it!
    Hope you’re well…I love ya much!
    Me :)

4. Maggie October 8, 2011 at 11:07 am #

OMG! Is that ever cute! I came here thinking you got a new car and wanted to drool over it. Not disappointed though. This is definitely drool worthy! How stinking cute is that? I have got to do this! Jeffrey! Get my glue gun! Mama’s making a carriage!

5. mcgoo4@gmail.com October 8, 2011 at 11:09 am #

I love it! How imaginative and it turned out so well. I bet your Princesses love it too.

Smiles~
    Marilyn

6. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating October 8, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Adorable! I posted this on the A2D Facebook page.

7. ain't for city gals October 8, 2011 at 11:18 am #

I believe…I believe…

8. Alaina October 8, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Deborah this is just too cute. What a lovely idea, I hope Cinderella gets to the ball on time.

9. 'D' October 8, 2011 at 11:32 am #

ADORABLE!!!!!!!

I haven’t done much about fall decorations yet, I’m still deadheading Impatients and cleaning up my six hanging Ferns to bring inside for the winter. I don’t know where I’m going with nine hanging plants, but they look too good to just let them die outside. The Impatients look better now then they did all summer.

I’m sure all of those little Princesses will love the Pumpkin Coach, it’s a great project.

Thanks for sharing.
    ‘D’

10. lisa October 8, 2011 at 11:37 am #

This is one of the most adorable AND SWEETEST things I have ever seen.
    WOW, Deborah…you are one LUCKY girl!
    I think this just put a smile on my face for the rest of the day…
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Lisa
    Bilancia Designs

11. LindaG October 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Fantastic!

12. Lynn @thevintagenest October 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

OMG….I pinned this so fast it left the wheels on the coach spinning!! How cute is this. I must have one for myself. I must make one for our Thanksgiving centerpiece. Now all I need to find is a glass slipper. Fabulous! Thank you for sharing.

13. Gina October 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Oh my goodness! That is amazing! I bet the princesses loved it.

14. Margo October 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Oh! You go girl!!! This is really really cute!! Love the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jean Frederick Abrams October 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

That’s freakin’ adorable!

16. Vanessa October 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

That is just seriously darling!! It has to be one of the most unique and creative ways I have ever seen a pumpkin dressed up and I’m beyond impressed. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

17. Kathy October 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

That is wonderful I love the idea. I hate I missed it in the magazine. Your setting is just perfect for the carriage. Thanks for sharing. Kathy

18. myric October 9, 2011 at 2:07 am #

That is the cutest!! Makes me wanna watch Cinderella again. You are so creative

Myric

19. Karen Albert October 9, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Deborah, I love it, too adorable!! I really have not seen anything like this magic carriage!

I would love your thoughts on my Autumn decor so far, oh and I have a new giveaway!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

20. Ina in Alaska October 9, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Love it! Also the glass slipper!

21. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality October 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Deborah, how clever & cute this is!! Took me right back to Cinderella & loving that movie. You are so fun to do this. Totally adorable for the season. xoxo

22. Kim @ Twice Remembered October 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Oh my! How darling is this, Deborah?! I would have never in a million years thought to do this, not to mention figure out *how*! I love the little windows, the door, and other decorative elements… and the glass slipper is the perfect touch! Wonderful job :) I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

23. Suzanne in Atlanta October 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

THIS IS SIMPLY FABULOUS!!! WHAT A GREAT GIFT FOR YOUR PRINCESS’S……….

24. Ginny October 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

WOW, that came out great!
    I’m slowly working on a 100 page hard copy, 4×6 inch photo scrap book album for Sam and Daisy. China blocks just about everything on the internet. Each photo page I can slip out, so if I ever finish it, I can scan it back in electronically!

25. Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons October 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

Ohmygosh that is SO SO SO cute!!!!! What a glorious idea for a pumpkin =) Usually everyone goes for a scary or silly look… this is just precious =)

26. Liz @ infusewithliz October 9, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Now that is the cutest pumpkin idea! It turned out so great and the little mouse and glass slipper are perfect with it! Big thumbs up!

27. Debbie October 10, 2011 at 2:11 am #

Okay, this is just tooooo cute!!
    So creative!!

Debbie

28. Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating October 10, 2011 at 6:41 am #

How magical!

29. jean October 10, 2011 at 11:41 am #

How so cute! Love it!!

30. Linda October 10, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Wow..That Cinderella pumpkin is the best project. Love the details and the tutorial.
    Your added touches with the mouse and glass slipper is perfection. Love it all!

31. Laura Ingalls Gunn October 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

I remember seeing a similar carriage and wanting it SO bad. Of course you’ve reignited the fever. The only problem is in 100 degree weather it would last half a day.

Bibbidi Bobidi but mostly BOOO! :)

32. Cass at That Old House October 12, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Oh my stars and whiskers! What an adorable Cinderella coach! Deborah, it is perfection.

The comment above mine mentioned having it last in hot weather — I think there’s a solution to that. Instead of cutting through the pumpkin for the windows and door, permanent-marker black rectangles inside the applied frames — it might help the pumpkin last longer if its skin isn’t broken, and the general idea is the same.

Of course there’s still the skewered little punkins!

This is SO cute.
    I have a gorgeous red Cinderella pumpkin on my kitchen counter, and it’s looking back at me nervously ….
    Cass

33. Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 8:31 am #

How cute and creative is that! Totally love it!!

34. Zuzu October 12, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Magical! How I wish my little granddaughters lived closer so we could do something like this together! :)

To answer your question – yes the transfer did fade a little. I washed it in hot water – so perhaps COLD water would be best?

Wishing you a lovely day, Deborah!
    Zuzu

35. Sherry October 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

How cute this is! I love the little mouse! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

36. Oklahoma Granny October 13, 2011 at 6:50 am #

You asked if I’d seen this post. I did and thought I’d commented. I guess the comment didn’t go through for some reason. Anyway, the coach is absolutely adorable! I’m sure our little girlie would love it. I’m headed to their house today for her birthday this weekend. The theme is ‘Fancy Nancy.’

37. Jessica October 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

This is so amazing!! My favorite part is the key on top :)

38. Sarah Coller October 15, 2011 at 2:45 am #

That is so adorable! Love it!!

Have a great weekend,
    Sarah

39. Beth@A2Z October 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

I love it! So incredibly cute!

40. Sarah October 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

This is seriously adorable and you’ve inspired me to try to make one of my own. Also, I hope you don’t mind, but I pinned this for reference. Awesome work! :)

41. choosetothriveblog@gmail.com October 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

Holy cow! This is the coolest pumpkin ever!

42. KJ@letsgoflyakite October 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

I must make this. For me. For my girls.
    found you via the Stories of A to Z.

43. Mandy October 18, 2011 at 10:26 am #

This is so DARN cute! I LOVE IT if you would share this at my link party going on at Project Queen!
    I’m new to your blog and so glad I wondered over here…. I’m a new follower.

44. c.w.frosting October 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

So unique & adorable! Love the frame & mini pumpkin wheel detail!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

45. andrea October 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Are you kiddin’ me….that’s the cutest thing ever!

You had asked about the size of my room…it’s 11×12 and for storage…well, we don’t keep much clothes and stick everything else in window box seats, crates and baskets. Luckily I really don’t like to have too much stuff so the extras that I do have I can easily hide ;o)

46. Mandy October 25, 2011 at 12:13 am #

Hi Deborah – wanted to let you know that I featured your ADORABLE Cinderella Pumpkin at Project Queen’s #5 Link Party Highlights. Hope you come back this week!

47. bacurran October 25, 2011 at 6:23 am #

OMGosh I love this…it is simply adorable! How very clever!! Found you at Project Queen!
    Barbara from 21 Rosemary…www.decoratingwithbarbara.blogspot.com

48. rene October 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

That is just darling!
    Rene

49. Sarah February 16, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Wow – that’s amazing!!

50. Linda March 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

What a delightful fairytale autumn decoration, Deborah! It makes me smile.

51. WhisperWood Cottage July 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

So full of charm and whimsy, Deborah! The scrapbook frames, buttons, and charm make it extra special! Thanks for linking up to The “Autumn Décor” Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

52. cotton peony August 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Oh.. too darn cute my dear. I love it.. and yes and fair haired strawberry pixie would love this.

warm hugs

Cotton Peony

53. Megan September 19, 2012 at 8:59 am #

That is so beautiful! My daughter would love that! Megan

54. Jann Olson September 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Oh my gosh, this is darling! Any princess would love it. So cute amongst the garden finery with the cute mouse. I hopped over from Debbie Doos. Would love if you linked this with my link party, Share Your Cup Thursday.
    Jann

55. Ricki Jill Treleaven September 20, 2012 at 7:19 am #

😀 Cinderella’s pumpkin coach has made my morning. What a treat to see!!!

Linking from Debbidoos,
    Ricki Jill

56. debra September 21, 2012 at 7:12 am #

This is absolutely adorable! I am sending this link on to a friend who has a granddaughter….

57. Rita O'Dwyer September 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

So unique! I’ve seen a lot of pumkins on blogs that I love, but this has to be the BEST.

58. Jann Olson September 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Hi, hopped back to let you know that I will be featuring your darling pumpkin on Share your Cup later today.
    Jann

59. Kim October 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

This is AMAZING!!! You are very creative and I will definitely continue to visit your site =))

• Deborah October 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thank you, Kim! Welcome to the Fairfield House.

60. debbiedoos October 19, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Your pumpkin was amazing! So glad you linked it up to the primp your pumpkin party. We have pinned and I have seen it all over the place:)

61. Nicole October 15, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Featuring this on my Spookily Ever After page of Disney inspired Halloween fun. Best wishes!

62. Nicole November 29, 2015 at 1:13 pm #

LOVED your Cinderella pumpkin! Saw the idea on Pinterest (where else, haha!) and my daughter and I recreated our own version for Halloween this year. I wrote about it in my blog and linked back to you. You can check it out here :) http://thenotsoboredhousewife.com/?p=1165 Thanks for the great idea!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 30 Plus Featured Pumpkin Ideas for Halloween and Fall - Fox Hollow Cottage - October 3, 2015

[…] Halloween Holiday Cinderella Pumpkin Carriage Craft […]