Ring of Blooms

“My advice to the women of America is to raise more hell and fewer dahlias.” ~ William Allen White

The last of the dahlias have bloomed.

Dahlias

I wanted to create something special. Something that would not involve a thirty minute ride to the closest store for supplies.

basket

Sitting in the sunshine amidst autumn splendor, I wove the dahlia stems into a grapevine base I created.

grapevine wreath

grapevine wreath

dahlia wreath

dahlia wreath

dahlia wreath

dahlia wreath

dahlia wreath

It can be used as a wreath.

finished wreath

finished wreath

Or it can be used as a centerpiece.

dahlia centerpiece

To water the flowers, just soak the wreath in a sink.

No, it won’t last forever but at no cost it adds priceless beauty to my home.

wreath on fence

———-

Linking to:

30 Responses to Ring of Blooms

1. Sweet Bee October 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

That is so beautiful! What a lovely idea and just the thing to bring out some autumn color.

2. Laura Ingalls Gunn October 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Oh it seems unfair to be 43 and never have seen a field of dahlia’s in person.

But that wreath seems to sooth the pouty beast. :)

3. Suzanne in Atlanta October 20, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

I didn’t expect the outcome!!….love how you made it into a whole wreath…It’s beautiful!

4. JENNIFER SAVAGE October 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

5. ain't for city gals October 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Honestly Deborah…I say the heck with the dahlia’s… I am ready for the other!

6. Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute October 21, 2011 at 2:01 am #

Hi Deborah, I never knew you lived on a dahlia farm. These are my favorite flower! I used to have some growing but here in Florida my leaves never looked as pretty as those of course. Your wreath is magnificent!!! Those colors are spectacular!!! I’m blown away. I always wanted to live on a flower farm. I’m so jealous.

OX’s…Tracy :)

7. Debi Mann October 21, 2011 at 4:25 am #

Your flowers are simply wonderful. They have such rich colors. I love the grapevine wreath with some flowers laying on one side. It reminds me of my Dad, when we made our last AND HUGE grapevine wreath. I decorate it every season. You have made me want to try and grow dahlias.

8. claudiawrightson October 21, 2011 at 4:54 am #

Mother Nature is amazing isnt she? This wreath is gorgeous and the beauty fall colors brings to our homes is simply lovely.

Love it!!! Enjoy this autumn— looks like a good one!

hugs hon!

Claudia

9. Maggie October 21, 2011 at 5:26 am #

Your wreath is just beautiful! What a great idea you clever lady. I made grapevine wreaths a few years ago, but mine weren’t as good as yours. I am going to save this for next year when the flowers bloom. Thanks for posting this!

10. 'D' October 21, 2011 at 6:20 am #

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

My husband picked the last one from our yard yesterday. He put it in a crystal bud vase that his Mother brought from Italy. She woud have loved your wreath.

‘D’

11. Zuzu October 21, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Lovely – both as a wreath & a centerpiece!

12. Anonymous October 21, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Stunning and inspiring!
    ~ the blooms are beautiful ~
    And it’s inspiring to come across such decorative warmth created, simply, from
    ‘what you had on hand’ ~ there’s a special allure and comfort to that approach.
    Even the impermanance of the wreath blooms add to it’s lovliness as it seems to
    whisper ‘enjoy me now’…..

13. Parsley October 21, 2011 at 10:04 am #

Truly beautiful! Your home must be the coziest place with your nack for decor.

14. lisa October 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

BEAUTIFUL, Deborah!

Have a beautiful Autumn weekend~

Lisa
    Bilancia Designs

15. Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute October 22, 2011 at 1:41 am #

Hey Deborah, you can’t imagine how much I just smile with delight when I see this beautiful wreath and it’s gorgeous blooms!!! I just want it so bad. Do you ever see anything and feel that way? Thanks for stopping by and leaving the sweetest comment on Ki’a’s blanket.

Hugs and smiles….Tracy :)

16. Vanessa October 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

How absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this loveliness with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

17. Missy October 24, 2011 at 7:04 am #

How lovely! :) I like how you worked the colors around the wreath…so pretty. I would love to live surrounded by flowers….it would be heaven on earth! (as long as someone else pulled the weeds! lol)
    Love you lady
    missy

18. Kate {Starr Family} October 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

The most beautiful post. .. your dahlias and pictures are stunning!

19. betsyet October 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

How lovely! I love Dahlias. Such a pretty post.
    Betsy

20. Laura Ingalls Gunn October 25, 2011 at 10:03 am #

I read the blog French Kissed. This am she had created a pumpkin carriage from inspiration from blogland on Pinterest. She wanted to give credit where credit was due.

I was of course your beloved mouse Gus and gave it too her. :)

21. Terri October 25, 2011 at 11:31 am #

sooooooooooooooo gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing !!!! :) Terri

22. Sherry October 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

Those are gorgeous! I need to grow these. Thank you for linking it with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

23. Jayme, The Coop Keeper October 26, 2011 at 10:20 am #

You clever, clever girl! Lovely! Priceless indeed! I was just looking wistfully at the pot of dahlias on my front porch – wondering if I’d save the tubers this year or not….

24. karla nathan October 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

Lovely for any season!

25. rene October 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

What a great idea…it turned out so pretty!
    Rene’

26. 505whimsygirl November 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Dahlias are making their way to the top of my flower list. They are just beautiful. Enjoy the wreath/centerpiece.

27. Leah November 10, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Stunning and inspiring!
    ~ the blooms are beautiful ~
    And it’s inspiring to come across such decorative warmth created, simply, from
    ‘what you had on hand’ ~ there’s a special allure and comfort to that approach.
    Even the impermanance of the wreath blooms add to it’s lovliness as it seems to
    whisper ‘enjoy me now’…..

28. Gwen November 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

I want to try growing these, beautiful!

My patch is still full of pumpkins, cucumbers and tomatoes. There are only so many ways you can fix those until you are sick of them. Flowers are always a nice surprise.

29. Dawn December 3, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Oh Deborah, I’ve always loved dahlias! The wreath is gorgeous! Sounds like the perfect fall afternoon. Missed ya girl, sorry for being so out of touch.

30. WhisperWood Cottage July 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

So beautiful! Thanks for linking up to The “Autumn Décor” Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage, Deborah!