Word

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~ Howard Thurman

It’s a new year and with that comes a renewed sense of commitment to ourselves. We all want to be and do better than the previous year. When we give a voice to the commitment it serves as a signature on a contract and we are less likely to default. I’ve been reading a lot about ‘word of the year’. Instead of making a New Year’s resolution, you pick one word to keep your goals in focus. My friend Layla from The Lettered Cottage decided to take this trend to the next level and made it a party. You’re all invited!

The Lettered Cottage

This year I decided I needed a VERB of the year.

My Verb of the year is GO!

As in Let GO

We replay past failures and disappointments in our head, allowing those emotional hangovers to limit ourselves in the present. We hold on tight to frustration and worry about things we have no control over. We embrace stress, which causes internal and external tension. We fill our lives, homes and minds with things that are neither beautiful or useful.

This year Let GO

It is only by letting GO that are hands are free to accept whatever good we are blessed with.

gift_in_hand

My Verb of the year is GO!

As in Ready, Set, GO!

launch

liftoff

I want to GO beyond dreaming, or considering, or planning, or waiting for perfect opportunities.  I want to go ahead and do it.

My Verb of the year is GO!

As in GO out!

Go out in the big, beautiful world full of wonder and experience life as it was meant to be — up close and personal.

big_sky

My Verb of the year is GO!

As  in GOing on! Contrary to what some may have inferred from my last post I am not going anywhere. I have a lot GOing on this year at The Fairfield House and look forward to sharing it with you. You may have noticed the blog “renovation”. There’s more to come. Now Go!

12 Responses to Word

1. Bella Michelle January 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

I love it!!!! Go is perfect and what better way to start of the year than with a verb! I hope you have a great 2012 where ever it takes you!

2. Terri January 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Love it!!! I am excited … and will be watching …… Thank you for sharing!!!! :)

3. vikki January 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Great word. My word (or words) is be kind. Like in be kind to myself. Almost like you said to stop beating up on yourself and letting go. I want to stop forcing myself to run faster than I have energy and stop forcing myself to take on projects I do not wish to do. I have a Cricut I have had for over a year and it is still in the box because I have never had time to take it out and use it for me. I am going to be kind to me in 2012. And in so doing I think I will be kinder to others. Thanks for the good post.

4. Linda January 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Great idea! look forward to GOing along with you. :-)

5. andrea January 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

You are just too darn cute Deborah! I love your word of the year…I just may use that one too!

6. Shannon at madiganmade January 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

I love that word! It has such motivation… and that pic with the pup and word is perfect!

7. Maggie January 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

As always, you have the best posts! Love your word! You GO girl! Sorry, just couldn’t resist. I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

8. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs January 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I LOVE how creative you are! What a wonderful post. I have too many “words” I’d want to use…all verbs! LOL
    I can’t wait to tell you about the shop and all the fabulous plans we have. I’m already “in” this historic landmark and loving every moment of it. The property alone will take your breath away! I’ll send you an email with all the details … how WONDERFUL it would be if you could come out one weekend to see the place. You would love it~ and I would
    absolutely LOVE to see you! I’ll email you this week with the details. :)
    XOXO

9. Debbie Refresh Restyle January 17, 2012 at 6:47 am #

I love your word! Just Go! what a great way to use a verb!
    Debbie

10. Steph @ The Silly Pearl January 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

I chose the same word! I too chose it because it was a verb to get me going! May you have a very verby year! :o)

11. Emily January 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Loved it!

12. Zuzu January 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Go, baby, go! I’ll be right behind you cheering you on!
    ~ Zuzu