The Necessary Room

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful” ~ William Morris

If you haven’t been reading our blog since day one, you probably don’t know we have been working on renovating a master bathroom for quite some time.

Remember this post? Followed by this?

I know it’s only been three years but we thought you would finally like to see the “finished” room (as finished as it is going to be “for now”). Truth be told, we were finished over a year and a half ago but our internet connection is so bad it’s taken this long to post the results (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

The room was originally a bedroom but was converted to a full bath before we moved in. Below is how it appeared. The room is approximately 11×14.

dual sinks

dresser

We stripped the wall-paper and put up bead board (individual pieces, not paneling) and painted the plaster walls above it.

stripping_aftermath

Thomas had to demo the west wall to insulate it and then installed and mudded the drywall, then sanded and painted.

We used Sherwin-Williams Duration Extra White Semi-Gloss on the bead board and trim and Sherwin Williams Duration Home “Crystal Clear” Matte on the walls. (I should note here that this was the fourth pale sea blue/green that we finally settled on—yet another reason why projects take me so long to complete.)

Thomas built a shelf above the sinks. I decided to keep the original dark wood mirrors because they reminded me of the finish on one of the boats my father owned. I got the HIS and HER plaques at Pottery Barn. The altered vintage bottles are from The Barn House Market Place. I included one of my my favorite quotes here so we could see it each morning as we prepare for the day. We also added extendable wall mount mirrors to each side (available from Ikea).

sinks_shelf

altered vintage bottles

shell & quote

round mirror

My vintage ceramic hand and Victorian Shell Box hold my jewelry while I shower. I also have an antique silver powder shaker on the shelf.

hers

hers_powder shaker

Thomas’ end of the shelf has his shaving supplies; antique silver shaving mug, shaving brush and straight razor. Also a vintage barber shaker from Faded Plains. His shaving strop has a permanent spot to hang.

his

his_mirror

The lights over the sink are from Pottery Barn. The overhead light is from Ikea. The Ikea fixture comes in a silver finish, but we preferred black so we spray painted before hanging.  All the light fixtures are filled with “Edison” style carbon filament bulbs for an old-fashioned touch.

light fixture

pendant light

Above the commode is a vintage man’s wool bathing suit, circa early 1900s. I also included an antique bathing suit rental/dressing room admission ticket.

To the left, on the north wall, there is a wooden cubby I purchased from Pottery Barn. I have filled it with antique postcards, trinkets and shells. Under the cubby, I hung a framed antique print of bathing beauties.

I hooked a vintage basket to the wall and use it to hold bath tissue.

suit_and_cubby

bathing_dressing room ticket

cubby_and_beauties

We decided to use vintage glass door knobs to hold the curtains back and allow natural light into the room.

tie_back

The antique armoire holds my lotions, potions and other toiletries as well as extra towels. Included are bath specialties from Victoria’s Whimsy.

armoire

sailor knot

armoire open

potions

I got the beautiful shell box from Layla’s (of The Lettered Cottage) mother, Jude. The drift wood boat came from the White Flower Farmhouse. I painted the Seashell sign and found the old oar while thrifting. I considered painting it, but like its scars and the way the color reflects that of the original pine floor.

shells_and_sailboat

Thomas created the chest for me. It affords me extra storage as well as a place to sit, dry off and moisturize. He will be sharing a tutorial in an upcoming post.

storage chest

We discovered the ladder in an outbuilding on the property when we moved in. I use it as a towel rack. Since I don’t like storing things in the shower, I added numbered hooks purchased at Pottery Barn and hung burlap bags purchased from LaurieAnna’s Vintage Home, thus creating a spot for shampoo, conditioner, wash clothes, hand towels and bath mats.

ladder

burlap bucket

The beautiful shower curtain was custom made for me by Mary, Kim’s (of Twice Remembered Cottage) mother. If you are interested in having something sewn, message Mary via her Etsy shop, Trunk and Trellis. The antique basket holds bath sheets and a bundle of lavender which fills the air with a wonderful fragrance.

shower_curtain

lavendar basket

The sign was created by Kim of Twice Remembered Cottage and available at her Etsy shop, She Could Fly. It adds a touch of whimsy to the room. I painted the sandpiper and nesting gulls on pieces of drift wood I found beach combing and framed a feather I chased and caught along a beach.

mirror_curtain

bloomers

feather painting

The full mirror was purchased at Ikea.

full mirror

When you live by the sea you always have a beach bag prepared. Thomas added an applique (ornamental molding) to the door.

beach_bag

door and keys

I found the antique library table while thrifting and painted it white. I decided to use it in this room because the brace reminds me of ocean waves. The silver tray holds antique engraved vanity jars, a framed vintage photograph, a large shell filled with rose petal soaps, a vintage guest towel and treasures from the sea.

library_table

library_table_legs

silver tray

photo and vanity jars

shell and rosebud soap

The antique french canning jar from Decor to Adore holds fresh daisies.

canning jar and flowers

The vintage wooden life guard first aid chest is our medicine cabinet.

lifeguard first aid box

The rug is from Dash and Albert.

So, was it worth the wait?

renovated

—————

Linking to:

Southern Hospitality’s Top DIY Projects of 2012 Party

82 Responses to The Necessary Room

1. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs February 13, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Oh my goodness, Deborah! This is just beautiful! It looks like you’ve chosen each piece with a lot of thought and love behind it (don’t you just LOVE anything from Andrea’s shop, Faded Plains??).
    That table!!! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!
    Amazing job… I think I need to make something special for you….hmmm…any hints??? :)
    Hope you have a wonderful week, my friend. xo

2. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction February 13, 2012 at 11:49 am #

The bathroom you’ve created is absolutely lovely! I really like all of the attention to detail (which doesn’t surprise me one bit). You’ve added small touches that help to create a feeling of serenity & peace and I love the images of the sea that this space creates. I am also wanting to steal the idea of moving toiletries out of the shower as you have done. It was totally worth the wait. I love it!

3. Terri February 13, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Oh My Goodness….. How gorgeous!!!!! I just love the “Cottage by the Sea” look….. Beadboard has always had a special place in my heart….. lol!!!! Thank you for sharing Deborah!!! Have a blessed week, Terri

4. Linda February 13, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Wow. Great job. You guys did a lot of work. :)

5. kathleen February 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Well, that is a very beautiful bathroom. It’s huge, and you are so so lucky! Congratulations on your very beautiful bathroom; I love it.

6. Jennifer February 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

DEB.O.RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gorgeous! OhmyWORD! Soooooo worth the wait. :) I am in LOVE!

7. Zuzu February 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Oh my, yes, it’s gorgeous! Love the colors you chose and all the beach details. Beautiful job!!!

8. michelle Hughes February 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Okay, now, I look at a lot of stuff daily. And, without a doubt, your bathroom is in my top 3 ever seen!!! I love it! I am totally jealous of your vintage bathing suit :) I love all the touches. It is perfect. and HUGE! I am getting ready to shower in my so blah bathroom… but I am going to squeeze my eyes really tight and pretend it is yours :)
    xoxo

9. Anna February 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

IT IS PERFECT!

I know perfect is sort of a dirty word these days with women and with design, but it really is, Deborah. I just love it. I cannot get inspired to do my bathroom at all. I am actually at a total stand still with my whole house. Just no desire to do anything at all really. Oh well, the bug will bite again soon enough, and I’ll be ready when it does.

10. Maggie February 14, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Ok, first of all I can’t get over the fact that your bathroom is BIGGER THAN MY FREAKING BEDROOM! I want to know how you ever get out of there though? I would just live in there. It is gorgeous! This is what I have in my mind for my bathroom when we get around to redoing it. I am so pinning every single one of these pics and stealing that color! I just can’t get over how beautiful it all is! You’re killing me!

11. EMILY February 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I love it!

12. Jami (freckled laundry) February 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

This is breathtaking, Deborah. Every little detail is perfect. So vintage chic. I have a feel Mary is going to get a quite a few requests for that curtain! LOVE.

13. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality February 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Oh, Deborah!!! It is absolutely stunning, I cannot believe how big this room is & how many beautiful things you have collected for it. Just amazing,each and every picture is a treat to the eyes. I’m going to share this right now on my Facebook page. It deserves to be shown off, heck it deserves to be in a magazine!! Thanks for sharing with me. xoxo

14. Missy February 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I am SO glad you sent me the link to your bathroom….I am unbelievably behind on blog reading and I wouldn’t want to wait another minute to see this! Oh Deborah, I just LOVE every single thing you’ve done to your bath. My bathroom is in DIRE need of an overhaul and this just makes me want to get up and start tearing out flooring, walls and cabinetry! lol :0) I adore the cabinet you have in there and all your beautiful antique touches….oh swoon! Do you know if pottery barn still has those little plaques…I NEED a set of those! ;-)
    I sure have missed our chats….and I miss you. My life has gotten so crazy it’s ridiculous…BUT TJ got a new job and the stress level has gone down dramatically. I’m SO happy about it, but not nearly as happy as TJ! lol
    I love you dearly and your bathroom is amazing! Thanks again for tweeting it to me!
    Love ya much!

15. Laura Ingalls Gunn February 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Dear Deborah how I am losing myself in blissful delight over the perfect details.
    So many things to love….
    The table, the antique swimsuit, that Thomas gives himself a true shave…but overall it is the sense that love truly does live in the details.

Happy Hearts Day! Hopefully the postman is more reliable that your internet.

16. Erin @ Carolina Country Living February 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Deborah, your bathroom is absolutely stunning! I’m reveling in all the photos and details. Enjoy your beautiful space!

Take care,
    Erin

17. BethM@Under A Pile of Scrap! February 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Oh my goodness! There’s so much eye candy here, I think I could spend the whole day in this room just admiring everything!

18. Victoria February 15, 2012 at 7:32 am #

I don’t even know where to begin– but I think the most important question is: How do you not spend hours lounging in your perfect bathroom?? Everything is so perfectly placed and thought out its really lovely. I did want to point out that Jon and I still haven’t finished our downstairs renovation- but we had already purchased the sink that we wanted when we do decide to finish it- and its the exact same sink you have in this bathroom!

Ive been looking at the pictures for a good while now, and I honestly can’t even tell you which parts I like best- its all just so perfect. Another job well done my friend.

-V

19. Dawn February 15, 2012 at 8:22 am #

OH MY! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!! I could live in that room and never care what the rest of the house looked like! I so love the vintage beach touches. Fabulous job!

20. Lynda February 15, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Your bath is such a beauty! Love all your details and all your space! Dream space!

21. Leslie February 15, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Okay, girlfriend.
    This bathroom leaves me speechless.
    It is stunning.
    I am packing my bags just now (including my rubber ducky) and am on my way up.
    Start the bubble bath, will ya?

I HAD to Pinterest this room. It’s here:
    Love, me

P.S. Thank you so much for the Christmas card! It was gorgeous and I’m sorry it took me so long to tell you!

22. jami February 15, 2012 at 10:12 am #

That is so incredibly beautiful! What an amazing job! Would love for you to stop by and link up to the Tuesday To Do Party if you haven’t already!
    Smiles!
    Jami

23. Aimee - ItsOverflowing February 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

I LOVE this!!! My party just started…I would LOVE to have you stop by and share your projects!!!
    XO Aimee

24. andrea February 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Wait a minute….let me get my chin up off the floor…..wow Deborah, you guys did a fantastic job. It’s such a big beautiful space….yet still so cozy. Job very well done!

25. Kim @ Twice Remembered February 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Oh, Deborah! It was most definitely worth the wait! I ABSOLUTELY adore what you have done…It is so my style!!! Everything, from the wall color to the fixtures {I love the light fixtures!} to the decorative items, is just perfect! I could live in this space. The lovely armoire and table are beautiful, as is the rug and chest Thomas built and the boat – and how cool is that ladder?! You’ve got a flare for decorating, Deborah, and I truly see this room in a magazine article. I also love the fact that have have little things here and there from friends across blogland… little pieces of us and I’m honored that you have one of my pieces and my moms. You’ve displayed everything with such love and care and I can see why you wanted everything to be perfect before blogging about it.

Yes, that is a tricky wall color but I love it! Like you mentioned a while back, it’s just like what we’ve got going on here at Twice Remembered! {I’m waiting for my big reveal, too, ha!} It’s such a beautiful, refreshing color and it looks so pretty in your bathroom! And guess what?! We’re working on our old gutted bathroom now – so I’m going to be taking lots of your ideas and resources because like I said – your taste is so me! Thank you for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive post with gorgeous photos and sharing with us! I will be studying this blog post for ideas for my own space!

Love you – and great job on your blog redesign, too! In the middle of designing my own WordPress site now so it looks like we’ve been working on the same things lately!

Your friend always,

Kim

26. Geneva February 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Oh WOW! Thank you so much for posting this inspiring remodel. Your taste is impeckable!

27. Mary February 16, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Wow, this is absolutely stunning. I love everything about it. I love, love, love the curio cabinet and ladder for towels and all the small detail touches. The shelf along the wall above the sink is perfect. Like Kim said, I am so honored that you have included a few of our items in this perfect vintage decor… thank you so much and thank you for such an inspiring and beautiful look at your lovely home.

Sincerely
    Mary

28. Cotton Peony February 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

~sighing~ When can I come and visit? Wait.. make sure the temp is at least 72 outside before you answer that my dear! Oh, that quilt I just finished and posted on my blog would look sooo sweet, nestled on stool, keeping one cozy while waiting for tiny toe nails to dry and skimming the newest le femme boutique magazine.

Nicely done. Kisses to the wind your way…

Cotton Peony

29. Autumn February 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

All I can say is WOW! It’s truly beautiful and peaceful. Well done and worth every moment and penny, I say.

30. Mary Alice Patterson February 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Sooo lovely! The color on the wall is so calming and peaceful. And all your vintage and special touches are perfect.
    Mary Alice

31. Dixie February 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

that’s one big beautiful bathroom! you could put a massage table in there too and still have room to do yoga! I’m full of envy today!

32. Tania Angelo February 17, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Your bathroom is beautiful, I love all the beachy accents!

Tania

33. Stuff and Nonsense February 17, 2012 at 8:26 am #

such a wonderful transformation
    you have made to your
    necessary room

i like all the soothing colors
    and vintage finishes

and your antique finds
    give the space so much character

i even pinned that cheeky ‘bloomers’ sign

thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded
    and i’m so glad to have found your delightful blog!

alison

34. Audrey February 17, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Such a beautiful room was worth the wait! Came over to see the shower curtain, gorgeous, and came away with so many ideas! Thank you!
    Blessings, Audrey

35. Debbie Refresh Restyle February 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Can I live in your bathroom? It was well worth the wait in my opinion :) I would love to have every object in there. You put it all together so well. I’m going to scroll back up and stare some more.
    Have a great weekend,
    Debbie

36. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage February 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

So glad you stopped by and liked my kitchen reno so I could find you (fellow Jersey girl)! Your bathroom is a real wow! Love all the vintage touches, the red cross chest, shaving accessories, the framed bathing suit … everything! What part of Jersey do you live? New follower here and can’t wait to see more!
    Kelly

37. Rita February 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Love your “necessary room”. Nice contrast of light and dark with varied textures. Wish I could paint signs likje you. Do you freehand it?

38. Beth February 18, 2012 at 9:32 am #

My favorite bathroom! I don’t know what I love about it the most…..the vintage accessories, lighting, color!!!! Beautiful!

39. Maureen February 18, 2012 at 10:07 am #

My house is a wreck, the baby is finally sleeping, and I should be cleaning. Instead, I am sitting here with an uneaten bowl of Special K because I am gasping at your beautiful bathroom. I could soak up these pictures all day. Thank you for the eye candy I will keep in my head while I put four loads of laundry away! You put so much effort into the details – all fabulous.
    Maureen

40. Victoria Hayden February 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Deborah…this is amazing!!! So many beautiful and wonderful details!! That hutch…I am in love!! What a great job you guys did!! :) Love it!!

Victoria

41. Sherrie February 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

42. Terry Moore February 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

This is just Killer looking! So striking and with every turn (view) there is more beauty abounds. I too have double pedestal sinks in my bath but only with a cabinet between for storage and more surface space, but you solved that with the shelf. Outstanding.

43. Beth@A2Z February 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Deborah it’s gorgeous! I love it!

44. Honey February 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Absolutely fabulous! You took this over the top with all your creative use of accessories! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

45. Dayle February 19, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Visiting from Vintage Farmhouse party. How rewarding to undertake such a huge job. The results are stunning.

46. Debbie February 20, 2012 at 10:35 am #

I love it. Love the details, the signs, baskets, decor…all of it is gorgeous. I pinned a couple of the pictures on Pinterest. I think people will love what you have done. Great post.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

47. Aimee - ItsOverflowing February 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Oh my goodness…looks so GREAT! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! I can’t wait to see what you link up at my party tomorrow! I LOVE following you…you’re so inspiring! Just a little reminder, my giveaway for 1000 free FULL color business cards ends at midnight!! Stop by and enter to wiN!

XO, Aimee

48. Sherry February 22, 2012 at 9:34 am #

What an amazing bath! I love all of the details.
    You have so many great ideas here for vintage
    storage ideas! I am featuring this tomorrow at
    the Home Sweet Home party! Thank you for
    joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

49. Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage February 22, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Oh…this was so worth the wait! I could transport this room “as is” straight to my cottage farmhouse and be quite happy with it. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I hope you’ll join the fun each week. Be sure to stop in tonight to see yourself featured.

Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

50. Bliss February 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Stopping over after your feature at Brambleberry Cottage. There is nothing not to love in that bathroom. I think my favorite part is how the dark wood mirrors contrast with the rest of the room, I love that. Oh, and when Thomas does the tutorial on how you dry off and moisturize, let me know as I’m sure my husband would then be interested in blogging!

~Bliss~

51. Courtney February 23, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Absolutely lovely!! What a beautiful bathroom remodel! Thank you for sharing it at Feathered Nest Friday!

52. Cass at That Old House February 23, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Oh Deborah, it is GORGEOUS!
    OK — specifics …
    LOVE the wall color. I am glad to know I’m not the only one who sometimes repaints a room more than once to get the color “just right.” You chose very well… beautiful.

LOVE the floors, that you kept the original wood.
    (More on that later.)

LOVE all the charming details, and the creative use of things like the ladder for towels.

LOVE how it all comes together, in harmony, without looking as if you just did a “bathroom renovation.” Things don’t match — but like a good, big family, they all get along.

Now about those wood floors — we are planning another full bath on our second floor, our long-awaited master bath. Smaller than yours — this room is 7 x 12, a former “box room” or nursery, we aren’t sure what, but we are using it as a closet.

We need professional help, as we’re starting from scratch with the plumbing, but have found a good contractor who will preserve the old window, the old woodwork . . . the only thing he’s balking at is using the original oak floor. I do not want tile or stone on the floor, anymore than I want tile or stone walls.

What kind of finish — if any — have you put on your wood floors? Are you concerned about moisture? I wish I could tear up the stone tile in my kitchen and restore the wood floors underneath — hate hard tile, love wood underfoot.

Anyway, wandering off topic here — if you’ve got any pro & con list about wood floors in a bathroom (haha love the “necessary room” name!) — let me know!

We won’t be launching this project for probably a year or so — ugh, SO many other things still to take care of here — so I’ve got time to line up my lists.

You two did a beautiful, timeless, charming makeover in your Necessary Room. Makes one want to grab a Saturday Evening Post and go do what’s needed.

:-)
    Love, Cass
    PS Another winner of a Jersey day! Woo hoo! But SO windy again … what’s with all the wind this year?

53. Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage February 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

What a beautiful bathroom….I simply love it. I hope you don’t mind….I would love to pin your pictures onto my “beach house” pin board……..I dream of having a little place by the sea….and I can imagine the bathroom looking something very close to this……just lovely.

I also have a vintage wool bathing suit and am wondering if you framed yours on your own or was it professionally done? I would like to do my own, but would love to hear any tips you might offer?

Enjoy your beautiful room!

54. Kim February 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Gorgeous bathroom filled with wonderful vintage treasures. You have thought of every little detail. Love the sign on the door and all the wonderful antiques. I have several small Dash & Albert rugs. Love them. I love yours. I hope you will join my weekly party on Wednesdays. So glad Sherry featured this.

55. Sarah Coller February 24, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Wow! That is just so amazing! So many beautiful things to see…I love it! :) I had never seen those Edison bulbs before…those are cool!

I wanted to let you know that I’m hosting a month-long Giveaway Jubilee beginning March 1st. I know you’ve hosted giveaways before and thought you might be interested. You can participate as a giver, a (hopefully) winner, or both! Just click on the button at the top right of my sidebar that says “Giveaway Jubilee” for more info.

Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Sarah

56. Judy February 24, 2012 at 8:12 am #

I saw you over at Freckled Laundry and had to come and check out more photos of your beautiful bathroom. I love everything about it. So inspiring. Hope you will link up to my weekly party that opens each Tuesday evening at 8pm EST. Have a great weekend.

57. Jenn K. February 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! I love that you used so many things from handmade shops as well!

58. Eliabeth@BlueClearSky February 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful space! I love the generous size and the beautiful details. The wood pieces really add some richness and the collections are just so lovely.

59. Becky February 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Wowzer, Deborah!!!! This bathroom looks like it is straight out of the pages of a magazine!! It is absolutely beautiful! I love how it just elevates each delightful vintage piece to a new level! You have incredible taste, and your love for things once loved just shines through!

Thanks for sharing your loveliness!!
    Love and hugs,
    Becky

60. Loni February 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Oh my gosh! Simply stunning! Down to every little detail. Thank you for so many pictures and inspirations.

61. Robin February 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

This room speaks to me at every detail. I adore that wall color–worth the effort I’d say. I love the nautical touches and your styling is just spot on. What a wonderful job you did and I know–I redid a master bath myself (not really myself, but all the design work and I’m not a designer) from the studs and ceiling down. There really aren’t enough words to say what a great job you did. Congrats on a job well-done!

62. Rebecca February 26, 2012 at 9:57 am #

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Featuring at Meet Me Monday! Starts at 4pm. Thank you so much for sharing this! Love, Me http://www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

63. Legacy of a Single Girl February 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

You’ve been keeping this from us for A YEAR?? I’m drooling over here!!!! Totally gorgeous, Deborah, I love every part…especially the color!

Your friend,
    Margo

64. Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes February 29, 2012 at 2:23 am #

Hi Deborah…..this is a beautiful transformation. All the special touches with the antiques are just wonderful. I would love to have the amoire myself, the paint color and the beanboard are what makes this room, and I like the glass knobs used as a curtain tie back. Those bring me back to my childhood home since our dining room had french doors with knobs like that on them. Thank you for linking your great makeover to my party, and I do hope you will come back next week.

65. Linda New England Fine Living February 29, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Amazing before and after photos! I have been trying to explain to my boyfriend, while house hunting, that I can make a bedroom (or part of a bedroom into a bath). I have done it before and he is having a hard time grasping the concept when we fall in love with a house without a master bath. I can’t wait to show him your magic touch!

66. Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes March 3, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Just stopping by again to tell you that I loved your bathroom reno so much that it was featured on my Saturday Picks today. Congrats! I appreciated how you showed people how to take an awkward, outdated space and gave it a whole new feel. There is a featured button on my blog if you would like it for a featured page or your sidebar. I do hope we will see you again next week, and have a wonderful weekend!

67. Patti March 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

LOVED your necessary room! Thanks so much for linking it, you were featured this week, so please stop by and grab a button!
    Patti

68. Rhonda @ BlueCreekHome March 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Oh My Goodness, Deborah! You have created an amazing bathroom girlfriend! Every single thing is wonderful- the tiny things that you thought of make it so special – I love the small details in a room. You guys should be very proud of this accomplishment.
    I am totally in awe of both of you! Your cute paintings on the driftwood are delightful and Thomas did some amazing work, but I am most impressed with the fact that he shaves with a straight razor – now, that’s a real MAN in my book!!! ; )
    I so glad you stopped by – I have been lousy about getting by to see all of my friends.

69. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof March 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

Just saw this makeover at the Lettered Cottage and it is beautiful! I love your table/bench. Every little sea detail is perfect. Well done! :)

70. Lisa March 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Deborah, Your bathroom is my newest inspiration page for the bath that needs a re-do at my cape cod beach house. Would you tell me, where did you find the sign “ladies on the beach must wear bloomers”? I have looked for it extensively, seen it in paper and would LOVE to find it in wood for my beachy-bath, thank you for sharing your lovely room!

• Deborah March 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Lisa,
      Thank you for your kind words! I purchased the “Ladies must wear bloomers” sign from Kim of the SheCouldFly Etsy shop.
      She Could Fly will be closed during the month of March for vacation and will re-open on April 1st.
      All of Kim’s signs are lovely. I know one would be a great addition to your bathroom!
      We appreciate you stopping by The Fairfield House.
      Deborah

71. Kristin March 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

That is by far the most gorgeous and detail bathroom I have ever seen!!! I LOVE IT! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

72. kathy March 10, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Found your blog via the lettered cottage and all I can say is that your bathroom is beautiful! Reminds me of when I used to live at the Jersey Shore! LOVE the old bathing suit…priceless!

73. Melissa March 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

My husband and I just bought a house with the same sink and toilet. I love the look of beadboard and this is just the motivation for us to install it! Thank you for posting(:

74. Rachel March 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Wow! What a nice big bathroom. It looks great. We just got 2 of those same fixtures at Pottery Barn Outlet – but we are using them as outdoor lights!

75. Lori March 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

What a beautiful master bath! Simply lovely!

76. MST May 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I just came across Fairfield House for the first time, and I never, ever leave comments on blogs…I just snoop around and quietly enjoy everyone’s talent. However, I absolutely couldn’t help myself after looking at your “necessary room.” I can’t tell you how much I love it! It is absolutely lovely and has so much character. My favorite things, if I had to choose, are the antique swimsuit with the bath house ticket and the bloomer sign. The room is so much fun as well as being elegant and beautiful. I can’t wait to see the rest of your blog. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

77. Pam@ Backwoods cottage June 20, 2012 at 10:54 am #

I had to hop on over and check out your Seashells sign after you left a comment about mine. I think I like yours even better. I love it, the right bit of shabbiness to soften. And the Necessary room is gorgeous! Love it. I need to take a moment to look around at the other eye candy you may have in store for me here.

78. Stephanie O September 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Oh my goodness…. I love everything about this room & wow it is a huge room. I love the sinks, lighting towel rack, his &hers signs, shower curtain, burlap bag…
    I cant wait until we own in two years. We will be retiring from Navy and can finally settle down.

79. elizabeth c November 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

HI! This is lovely. I couldn’t find a way to search your blog. IS there a tutorial post about how to make the chest?

80. Lisa Palmese July 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Deboroh,
    This is one of the most Gorgeous Bathrooms I have ever seen.. And Thomas building
    the storage bench was just perfect. each section and piece carefully thought and placed.
    To suite your needs and using Artisans for items in your Bathroom just made the room
    more Interesting!! I Love this Bathroom and this is the one I will use when I come visit lol
    I might look at all your Beautiful toiletries in your hutch,lol WoW You make me want to get up and start my bedroom. It is very Calming and Inspiring I Love the Shell Shadow Box and the Oar you found. And what a Beautiful table in the middle and what lies beneath it Just a Gorgeously Perfect rug for that spot!! Ok come and help me lol Your taste is Exquisite.
    Excellent Renovation!!
    Great Job My Friend Lisa

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I’m Singin’ in the Rain… « - February 13, 2012

[...] just popped over to Deb’s and was met with some eye candy.  Go check it out…wow! Signing off; have a beautiful day! [...]