A Gardener’s Mantel

“The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day He created spring.”
~ Bern Williams

Spring has officially sprung today. I think Punxsutawney Phil, the ground hog who emerged from his hole on February 2nd and spied his shadow (predicting six more weeks of winter), needs glasses.

Today also marks the first event of the spring fling party. Layla is kicking off the event with a spring mantel party.

As I was considering how to decorate the mantel, I thought about spring and what it means to me. People can experience spring everyday. We have the opportunity to grow and bloom, to transform daily. With each new day, with every experience, we are reborn.

Our limitations are usually self-imposed—worry, self doubt, anxiety, and negativity.  When I plant my gardens and tend to them, I have no doubt they will grow and the buds will bloom. I have faith and know that God is providing everything my garden needs: rich soil, sunshine and rain. Yet, how quickly we forget that He provides for us as well and wants us to grow into our purpose and our full potential, to flourish.

With that in mind, I created a gardener’s mantel.

easter mantel

mantel shelf

I filled an enamelware “Bulb & Seeds” bin with pink English Daisies and Rockfoil. Both are perennials and will be transplanted outdoors in a few weeks.

bulbs and seeds

The rock sculpture of the bird is the topper to the fountain located in my garden. The tiny framed rabbit picture is usually on my bedside table and the first thing I read each day. I included a variety of clay pots from my potting shed. One houses a bird’s nest, another Muscari (or Grape Hyacinths).

bird nest

The hearth is decorated with vintage galvanized watering cans, vintage galvanized flower buckets with cherry and apple blossoms from the yard, and more stacked clay pots.

easter hearth

clay pots

clay pots close

tin flower pots

The rickety old chair holds an antique gathering basket with Daffodils and Camilla from the yard.

flower chair

basket chair

bird house

spring quote

I’ll be back on Thursday to share a spring craft with you. ‘Til then…

rabbit

…and each other.

*********************************

Linking to:

Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesday

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Tuesday’s Treasures

{Primp} Primp Your Stuff Wednesday Linky Party

Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday

The Vintage Farmhouse Creative Things Thursday

Brambleberry Cottage Time Travel Thursday

Ivy & Elephants What’s it Wednesday

{aka} Design DIY Link Party

24 Responses to A Gardener’s Mantel

1. Debbie refreshrestyle March 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Your mantel, actually the whole space is beautiful! Since both of our names are Deborah, you can send me that sign 😉 I love every inch of your fireplace!
    Debbie

2. Karena March 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Deborah I really adore your creation, so perfect for Springtime.

I hope you will come and join my new Fashion Giveaway from Fresh Produce!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

3. Legacy of a Single Girl March 21, 2012 at 12:40 am #

Your vinette is beautiful as usual dear one! I adore your little rabbit!!!

Hugs to you my friend!
    XOXO, Margo

4. Missy March 21, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Hey sweet lady! :) I adore your spring mantel, it’s so fresh and lovely. I LOVE your little metal gardening markers, I’ve never seen any quite like them. I have one galvanized watering can that I found while on my last bloggers jaunt back in June…what a fun day that was! :) I’ve never seen the pink flowers you have in your seeds and bulbs container…..I probably just love them because they’re pink…you know me and pink flowers! lol
    Hope you’re having a very blessed week!
    Love YOU much
    Missy :)

5. Jennifer March 21, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Gorgeous Deb!! Love that Bern Williams, quote, too. It’ll be in the 80’s here today; yesterday I took the boys to the park; they were running around in short sleeves, but there was still a snow mound and ice under a big pine. So they were jumping in the snow and ice skating in the shade. :) Hopefully the flowers will spring forth asap here; I’m ready for COLOR!
    Have a beautiful week my friend!
    Jen

6. Cyndee Jones March 21, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Your Garden Mantle is beautifully poetic!

Cyndee

7. 'D' March 21, 2012 at 7:54 am #

As usual Deborah, you did a great job. :) Do we dare to hope that we will continue to have an early spring? My husband bought me something, for my birthday, that I have been asking for, for many years now, a Magnolia Tree. :) I can’t wait to see the first blooms. Of course I’ve always wanted one for the leaves to use in wreaths. I’m sure that it will be a while before I want to pick a leave off of my new tree. Have a wonderful spring, my friends. God Bless….

‘D’ ♥

8. Kim March 21, 2012 at 7:57 am #

The whole vignette is just gorgeous.

9. Autumn March 21, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I know I must be ‘hormonal’ but this post and it’s beauty almost made me get tears in my eyes. I find such pleasure in my flower bed, although it’s small with a limited variety. I just dig my hands into the soil, no gloves, and plant my annuals.

It would be a dream of mine to have a back porch seating area surrounded by misc pots and variety as you’ve shown here. Ahh…to dream…and one day maybe more.

10. Terri March 21, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Good Morning!!!! I absolutely adore your mantle vignette…. it’s beautiful and peaceful!!!!! I also made a mental note to self….. to remember what you said about our limitations …… “self imposed”!!! so true!!!!! Thank you for sharing with us on this beautiful spring day!!! :)

11. Danielle March 21, 2012 at 9:21 am #

This is a gorgeous mantel – it makes me want to get out in the garden and do some planting. I love it!

12. laxsupermom March 21, 2012 at 9:23 am #

I love your garden mantel and how you’ve decorated the hearth, too! Love those galvanized watering cans! Such a pretty vignette! Thanks for sharing.

13. Linda March 21, 2012 at 9:39 am #

That looks fantastic! I wish I had an eye for design.
    Have a wonderful day!

14. Adrian March 21, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Oh Deborah ~ Your mantel is perfect! The weather has been so fabulous to get out there and scratch around in the dirt. I especially love that little embellished birdhouse ~ it gives me some good ideas. thank you for the inspiration.
    Enjoy the garden ~
    Your friend, Dee

15. Layla March 21, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Garden-y gorgeous, Deborah!!!
    Thanks so much for partyin’ with us!

:-)

16. Laura Ingalls Gunn March 21, 2012 at 11:02 am #

Oh my friend! You have made me gasp with glorious breathe. Such a delightful arrangement that makes me wish (once again) I had dark, rich soil to play in.

Thank you for this perfect glimpse of spring.

17. Mimi March 21, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Wow your mantle photos are gorgeous! and I just checked out your bedroom reveal and you definitely taught me a thing or two about adding the coastal feel without over doing it. You have a beautiful style. You left a comment at my blog today and it wouldn’t let me respond to your email so I want to leave you a link to the answer of the question you asked. sorry to do that here but I really wanted to show ya 😉 http://blueroofcabin.blogspot.com/2012/01/archway-to-tiny-kitchen.html. I’m so happy to have found your blog can’t wait to see what’s next.

18. Zuzu March 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

It’s all so very beautiful, Deborah! Spring has truly arrived at your house!
    Zuzu

19. Lori March 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Beautiful! I love all of the details… plus you take fantastic pics! I wanted to also thank you for the sweet comment you left on my spring mantel. I wanted to reply but you came up “noreply-comment” Thought you would want to know…. Thank you soo much for stopping by!

Blessings,
    Lori

20. SwedishCornerDownUnder...Pernilla March 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Absolutely beautiful!
    … your vignette is so lovely :)

Greetings from Australia♥

21. Patti March 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Your garden mantle is inspired! So very creative and unique. All of the elements work together and speak of Spring. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome vignette with us at WIW.
    Patti

22. Shannon @ aka design March 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

LOVE! Definitely spring! Popping by from Gina’s link party.
    Shannon
    (www.akadesign.ca)

23. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs March 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Lovely, Deborah!
    So nice to come by…it’s so rare I get to sit lately (it’s bride season for me).
    Hope you still plan on a visit soon?? :)
    Hope you are well…
    Lisa

24. Lisa Palmese (me) February 25, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Ummm You would win I’m posting this Gorgeous Maybe instead of how may Likes I’ll do it with add your name in raffle copter and share your picture. lol This is Stunning Girl!!
    Lisa