A Spring Welcome

Far there in the inland valleys

Frost tells her tales

The tulip shakes their heads

While camellia whispers

Her the age old tales

Of love and languishment…

We have a Camellia bush that is covered in blooms.

camilla bush

In keeping with my theme of thrifty decorating by using what I have, re-purposing or purchasing needed materials at thrift and dollar stores, I decided to create a wreath. I purchased a base at The Dollar Tree Store.

wreath base

After snipping some blooms and letting them soak in sink full of water, I gently threaded the stems through the twig wreath and weaved them into the base.

weaving camillas

wreath on door

camilla wreath close

camilla wreath

To sustain your wreath, soak it in water every other day.

Different flowers can be substituted for this project. I’ve also made wreaths using Hydrangeas and Dahlias.

***********************

320 Sycamore Under $10 Under 1 Hour Party

My Romantic Home Show and Tell Friday

French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday

Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party

16 Responses to A Spring Welcome

1. betsy April 3, 2012 at 11:02 am #

I love the scent these flowers have. Most beautiful arrangement. I must try.
    Blessings
    Betsy

2. 'D' April 3, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Great job Deborah…..Our’s is blooming also, but nothing like yours. My husband bought me a Magnolia Tree for my birthday, I am so anxious to see a blossom on it. Have a great SPRING. :)

3. Karena April 3, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Deborah so lovely, the fresh flowers make the wreath so special!

I hope you will Come and enter my amazing Cross Bottle Guy Giveaway!You will love it!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

4. Zuzu April 3, 2012 at 11:32 am #

It’s gorgeous, Deborah!
    Have a happy one!
    Zuzu

5. kathleen April 3, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Hi Deborah: I love your Camellia Bush. I’ve seen them, just never knew what they were called. So glad you posted (for many reasons). The Butterfly Bush you sent me is growing again. It made it through winter just fine. We had cut it back some, but it’s growing, and will be flourishing soon, I’m sure.
    Hope all is well in your part of the state. We have tulips, daffodils and pansies. I just love pansies!

I love your wreath. You certainly have a talent for creative crafts. Take Care.

6. Rhonda @ BlueCreekHome April 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Oh my goodness, how gorgeous! I would have never thought to make a fresh flower wreath. It is lovely on your painted door.

Wishing you a very blessed Easter

7. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs April 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

How beautiful, Deborah! The color is so lovely!
    Thank you for stopping by the other day and leaving such sweet comments (as always). I’m thrilled you’ll be coming to my shop one day (soon, I hope).
    The barn is in the process of having a new website created since the old one is close to 2 years old! It reflects NOTHING we have inside right now. It’s really quite beautiful inside and once the “Loft” is open for events, it will be incredible–I can’t wait untl you see it.
    More designs from my “Old Hollywood” collection will be showcased on my site soon. I’ve been designing this style for so many of my brides–they love the whole glamorous look. I’m glad you like it as well. I will let you know when I post it on my site. I did show a few invitations on the newest post on my blog–I hope you liked those.
    Looking forward to Spring and the glorious warm weather. Can you ever remember New Jersey having such a warm winter before?? Incredible!
    I have two huge events coming up in the weeks ahead that will require me to make 4′ floral arrangements with every type of flower you can think of (among other designs). I will send you pictures–they will be very unique. :)
    I hope you’re doing well. How is your daughter doing in culinary school? I’d LOVE some new recipes (hint, hint). :)
    Wishing you a beautiful week, my friend! xo

8. Laura Ingalls Gunn April 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

For those living in AZ wish fervently that camellia’s grew here and then water every hour.

I’d like one for my head too. :)

Beautiful work friend. Where does the door lead? The Secret Garden?

9. Sue in Atlanta April 3, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Hi Deborah….the wreath is beautiful….and I love the old wooden door that you hung it on…I am waiting for my Hydranges to bloom so I can do a wreath….Hope all is well with you up in Jersey….what a great winter you guys had this year…..still glad thought that we decided to stay in Ga…..we spend everyday in the pool….not as good as LBI but pretty darn close and certainly cheaper!!

10. andrea April 7, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Oh my…I just love your wreath! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!

11. Mimi April 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Thanks for answering my question before I even asked it. Great to know the blooms can be refreshed. Would be beautiful with the bluish purple hydrangeas.

12. Angie @ Beneath the Magnolias April 9, 2012 at 12:27 am #

Oh, Deborah! That is so lovely! I love camellias and wish I had some. I have that same dollar store wreath in my craft closet. Now I know what I can do with it! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!
    Angie

13. Cass at That Old House April 9, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Deborah, that wreath is stunning!
    Now if you will just ship some camellia blossoms to me . . . .

I hope your Easter weekend was filled with joy.
    Blessings on this glorious New Jersey spring day — Cass

14. Trish @ Uncommon April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am #

This is such a beautiful wreath! I have never tried to make a live wreath, but this is just so stunning!

Take care,

Trish

15. melissa*320 sycamore April 11, 2012 at 10:33 am #

What a beautiful, bright, REAL wreath! I love it. How long does it usually last for you?

16. Autumn April 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Oh I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! You have such a talent for making beautiful decor.