Book Ends

“Cats are just tiny women in cheap fur coats” ~ Unknown

Book Ends

The “Siamese sisters” (Mishka, left; ‘Puter on the right) have recently been complaining and demanding equal media coverage since both of our dogs, Buster and Scout, have been featured on our blog.

They claim to not understand why we continually report on the lowly antics of a mere dog when we could be covering the exciting exploits of two members of the royal family of cats. Every day’s calendar is packed: There’s the sleeping and eating! The mouse chasing! (There’s nothing more fun than catching a mouse and bringing it to moi as I sleep in my bed. This happened twice, apparently almost scaring me to death once was not enough. The mice were still alive.) The bird watching!  (Could someone please explain how an indoor cat ran past me with a bird in her mouth?)

bird watching

Have I mentioned the fascinating feat of eating and sleeping? The game of bathroom “bat”miniton? Yes, they caught a bat in the bathroom. What could be better? It’s a bird, it’s a mouse, it’s two, two, two treats in one!

eating

Then there’s the eating and the sleeping. The playing with a live ssslithering string (don’t ask, but remember, they are indoor cats). The midget wrestling. The daily allowance of eating and sleeping, leaping of tall obstacles in single bounds, racing up and down three flights of stairs for no particular reason. Yet somehow there is time for more eating and sleeping before brushing up on covert stalking and pouncing techniques followed by (what else?) eating and sleeping.

Mishka resting

Thomas claims the perfect pet for a man is a cat–they sleep 18 hours a day, and eat nothing but meat (it’s an aspirational thing).

cats sleeping

13 Responses to Book Ends

1. Debbie April 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Hubby and I are cracking up at the bat being two treats in one . Too funny. Our cat would definitely think that also. Cute kitties.

2. Autumn April 18, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Oh my goodness…I LOVE them! Oh the fun of the extra critters they bring to you! My daughter would try to keep the extras as pets, if they survived. Lol gotta love cats for who they were meant to be…adventurous and independent.

3. Megan April 19, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Ok the bringing the live mouse to your bed would have just sent me over the roof packing! I am freaked at the thought I hate mice. Its the tail, yes always the tail!

We had two cats it seems like many moons ago. Celeste and Duncan and they were hilarious. There is definitely something about cats that you gotta love. Oh how I miss my
    girls!

Megan

4. LindaG April 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Very pretty cats. :o)

5. Debbie Refresh Restyle April 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

They are beautiful and entertaining (except for the mice in the bed) and those eyes~purr-fect! We had a siamese cat growing up, his name was Top Cat, and he knew he was, the Top Cat :) I bet my Murphy would love to have kitten! She actually runs from our neighbors cat. She’s a big chicken (dog). I look forward to more of their antics. Watch out Buster and Scout, they’ve had a taste of the limelight!
    Debbie

6. andrea April 19, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Love your cats…I have one (her name is Molly) that looks just like your Puter. Mishka’s eyes are just gorgeous. I also love what your hubby said about the cats…it’s so true.

7. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs April 20, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I LOVED this…my “Bella” would like it, also….my very chubby, indoor cat. :)
    Deborah, I finally posted some pictures of my barn this morning if you’d like to see them. I’m really looking forward to your visit. By then, the place will look totally different. A work in progress is slightly an understatement when you have 9,000 square feet to work with. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend~
    Lisa xo

8. Sue in Atlanta April 20, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

bad enough they brought the mouse into your bed but you lost me at Bat……not being a cat fan I have come to love the little furry things since moving into the new house….I feed the strays and they kill our snakes….I figure it’s a marriage made in heaven as I also hate snakes….they have not yet brought one to my door which I am grateful for….and we found out the main stray is not a stray at all…..she belongs to a neighbor and just has a very healthy appetite!! Have a wonderful weekend…..Sue

9. Zuzu April 21, 2012 at 9:22 am #

:) ing here. I think cats have got it all figured out, and we could learn a lot more from them. I’m trying out more of the sleeping and eating thing, squeezed in between sleeping and eating. Nice.
    Hope you all have a great weekend, Deborah!
    Zuzu

10. thistle April 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

*sigh*…..the life of a cat! Aren’t they the lucky ones :) We have recieved a few “presents” from our cats before :)

blessings,
    karianne

11. Laura Ingalls Gunn April 23, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Wait! What about grooming? Surely that could be a whole post in and of itself. No doubt the title would be Siamese Contortionist.

Love the eyes. I once had a Persian named Joe. He would straddle the arm of the couch and watch tv. :)

12. Legacy of a Single Girl April 27, 2012 at 2:24 am #

Oh my gosh! I love this post, of course! I’m laughing at you, just seeing you jump and scream after receiving your “gifts”!!! Mine plays with a string too, he goes and gets it and brings it to me. They are so fun! Yours are gorgeous!! Very blessed!

13. Kim @ The Twice Remembered Cottage June 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Mishka and ‘Puter are beautiful, Deborah! They lead very exciting lives… I’m not sure how they do it!

Your hubby’s comment about how cats being the perfect pet for men – Priceless!