Wild Thing

“Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a near-perfect method of writing avoidance” ~ Dan Greenburg

Some friends we choose. Some friends choose us.

feral cat

A few weeks ago this feral cat decided to enjoy the sunshine at the Fairfield House.

As any good hostess would, I offered some food and drink and as a result my guest has decided to take up residence.

Each day I earn more trust and am allowed a step closer.

He now answers me when I talk to him and has taken to rubbing against my legs when I walk out with dinner.

When he’s more tamed I plan to bring him to the vet to be neutered and vaccinated.

Next project: A cat house.

29 Responses to Wild Thing

1. Becky May 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Hi Deborah,
    What a gorgeous feline! I would have had to feed it, too! I love the same approach with people who find it hard to relate or trust. It is so awesome to begin to earn trust and build friendship whether with an amazing animal or another lovely human being!!

Life is rich, isn’t it?

Hope all is well at Fairfield! Our 2nd wedding is in 10 days! So it’s a little nutty here!
    Blessings and hugs to you my friend!
    Becky

2. jean May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

He’s a beautiful cat. I’d surely keep him, too. Gorgeous eyes!!

3. Autumn May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

Beautiful cat! Are you sure it’s a ‘him’? Sometimes the best animals find US. Enjoy your new friend.

4. Ellen May 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

I love your cat story. 14 months ago a feral cat adopted me, but would hide when food was taken to her. Just a month ago she started coming to me and rubbing against my legs. I also hope to get her to the vet. I have had had a cat for 40 some years so this is unexpected and I am actually enjoying her. Thanks for sharing

5. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction May 9, 2012 at 12:06 am #

He’s beautiful! I absolutely LOVE cats, but both Jason and Imani are allergic so we don’t have any. When I was a kid I grew up with cats. We lived out in the country so many of them roamed freely. Unfortunately, my current house is too close to the road for that! Enjoy your new friendship. He’s one smart cat to have chosen you!

6. Margo May 9, 2012 at 12:26 am #

You are a wonderful soul!

7. betsy May 9, 2012 at 12:37 am #

He loves you. He knows you are taking good care of him.

8. kathleen May 9, 2012 at 3:46 am #

You are so very kind to people and animals alike.

9. Missy May 9, 2012 at 6:29 am #

That cat knows a good friend when he sees one! 😉 I bet he’ll be jumping to go inside your house very soon!
    How are you doing? I sure miss our little twitter chats….I haven’t had time to get on there in forever. I have been crazy busy lately…my life seems to have taken on a life of it’s own without my permission…never a spare second.
    Love YOU much! :-)

10. 'D' May 9, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Good luck……

11. LindaG May 9, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Looks like he may have some Maine Coon in him. Should be a good mouser. :o)
    We have a stray that I did the same for. We think he was someone’s pet originally.
    Still has a worn spot where a collar was.
    Hubby thinks he’s been fixed.

Have a great day! :o)

12. Zuzu May 9, 2012 at 8:21 am #

He’s a handsome fellow. I think he knows he’s found a good thing. :) Have a wonderful Wednesday, Deborah!
    Zuzu

13. Kelly May 9, 2012 at 9:27 am #

He is beautiful! My most loving cats were ones that were wild and we tamed them.

14. Adrian May 9, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Hi Deborah ~ He is beautiful. I will say what Kitty cannot say with words: “Thank you for caring and giving me a home. Its a very tough world out there. Fairfield House is warm and beautiful and I could not have chosen a better place to call my new home.”

15. Laura Ingalls Gunn May 9, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Knowing that you live far removed from other homes I have to wonder how this handsome fur ball came to be in your neck of the woods. Another drive and dump probably. :)
    He is so very blessed to have found such a wonderful individual. All domestic animals deserve to me loved and have a home. Thank you for caring.

16. Laura Ingalls Gunn May 9, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I meant to type a frowny face. :(

17. Rene Foust May 9, 2012 at 11:38 am #

He is beautiful!!! He looks just like one I had although he wasn’t really mine he was my neighbor’s but he never went home until the night he died. He went home to die isn’t that amazing. I am so happy that you lived through the ground hog attack. Are you waling with a stick now?

18. Alaina May 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

We had a cat that looked just like your wild one. His name was Einstein, very lovable, but we had to put him down this year. He would have been 15 this year on my birthday.

19. emily May 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

so pretty !

20. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs May 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

How wonderful! This beautiful animal KNEW it would have a loving home with you, so I’m sure this was no accident on his part. :) I know he (or she) will be very happy with your family. I LOVE to hear stories like this. I am a huge cat lover. I have one at home–Bella Luna. She’s an indoor cat simply because I couldn’t bear the thought of her being outside and something happening to her. She is my baby (still, at 6 years old) and I adore her. I hope you have many happy years with him. What a beauty!
    Looking forward to seeing you in the near future (?). The barn is absolutely beautiful with all the changes we’ve made in the last few months…and we’ve just started booking weddings and events in “The Loft”. It’s very exciting to see the tranformation and to hear all the happy “sighs” when they come up the staircase for the first time. I’m sure you’ll love the place!
    Hope you and your family are well.
    Have a wonderful Mother’s Day, Deborah!
    ~Lisa xo

21. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage May 10, 2012 at 8:51 am #

I love cats – but my hubs and daughters are all allergic!!

This cat looks like he could take down your jersey devil!
    Kelly

22. Kathy May 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

That will be wonderful! We share three cats with our neighbor. The mama had two kittens – she was so thin and pitiful. We captured her and her babies – our neighbor had them spayed and neutered – now we both take care of them and they make fantastic garden companions! I appreciate you stopping by – you may join in Home and Garden Thursday each week with anything home and garden related – I just give myself a weekly schedule! I hope you have a blessed weekend!
    Kathy

23. Vicky May 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Hi Deborah, What a lovely story! It always makes me sad to see lonely people or animals. I’m so glad you’re able to give this cat a home. God bless :-)

24. Judy @ A Meek Perspective May 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

We are known to take in strays here on our farm, too. We now have four dogs and one cat that we took in from Craigslist of all places!

I like to notify other blogs when I use their pictures on my blog. I couldn’t find an email address or way of contacting you so I thought I would just leave a comment. I used a picture from your bathroom makeover as an inspiration for my bathroom makeover. I fully gave you credit each time I used your photo. You can see your picture and the results on my blog: http://ameekperspective.blogspot.com. There are three posts on the Master Bathroom and each post has links to the other posts.

Blessings to you,

Judy :)

25. thistle May 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

He is absolutely beautiful. Cats are funny sometimes. I have a cat who is very dismissive of me :)

blessings,
    karianne

26. Judy May 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Such a handsome chap indeed! Our felines adopted us in much the same way, and have given us oodles of joy over the years. Wishing you happy times with your newly found family member!
    Warmly,
    Judy

27. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog May 31, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

That cat looks just like a Maine Coon we had growing up. A cat house sounds like a fun project … hmmm, the possibilities. :)

28. Kim @ The Twice Remembered Cottage June 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Deborah, I’m so happy that you’ve made a new, unexpected friend! We’ve had feral cats living under our house since we bought it. Though they won’t let us come anywhere near them, I feel like they do trust and count on us to an extent. I’ve had one come up to the dining room window and just stare at me, as if to say, “Did you forget my breakfast?” I hope you and your new guest enjoy many happy years together!

29. Victoria July 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm #