Shore Deals on My Mantel

“One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach; one can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few.” ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Six weeks? Time flies when you are being hunted by a groundhog and mending a broken heart over an unrequited love. Yes, the wild thing used me up and left me. Perhaps a raven told him of my plans to have him neutered: “You will have fun nevermore.” Of course the ravens had an ulterior motive.

Reven

Regardless of the reason, Wild Thing has moved on to greener pastures, no doubt one filled with felines in heat (and I’m not talking about the weather.) Wherever he is, I hope he’s purring and well fed.

I went Good Will hunting with my mother on Saturday and returned home with a few items to use on my Summer mantel. I liked the lighthouse scene on this new hand painted porcelain cup. The original price tag was $14 but I got it for .99!

cup

The conch shell on the black spindle has a Yankee Candle Co sticker on it but the price was blacked out. Goodwill had it priced for .49!

Shell Spindle

The matted and framed Cape May Pink House is numbered (297/1000) and signed by the artist, Donna Elias. I know this painted lady (the house, not the artist) and could not pass up her beautiful portrait priced at a mere $1.99.

Print Signature

At a quarter a piece, Goodwill has become my book store of choice. I discovered two favorites — Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Gift From the Sea, and A Walk on the Beach by Joan Anderson.

I also found a new 8 x 10 frame for $1.99 that is perfect for a print I already had. I planned on spending $5.96 but the print and frame were half off so I totaled out at $3.98!

Frame

I decided to create a mantel based on one of my best places on Earth — Cape May.

Mantel

I started with a wire basket filled with treasures I’ve discovered combing the beach. I sat it on a silver pedestal to add height and make it easier to see from across the room.

shore basket

Thomas gave me “The Entrance” when owning a Victorian by the sea was only a dream. I stacked my books and placed the shell on the spindle and light house cup on them. I filled the cup with sweet peas from my garden.

Sweet Pea Cup

The Cape May Pink House is followed by a print that reminds us of Buster and times spent with him.

Buster

The antique bottle holds Poe’s poem, Annabel Lee.

I included vintage postcards and prints, some collected over the years and others that were gifts from friends. I like to imagine that even if we had met 100 years ago at the seashore, we would still be friends.

Prints

The temperature is forecast to reach the 100’s by mid-week. If I don’t make it to the beach, I’ll feel cooler looking at my reminders of the sea.

************

Linking to:

Home Stories A2Z Summer Mantel Link Party

Southern Hospitality Thrifty Treasures

The Lettered Cottage Summer Mantel Link Party

14 Responses to Shore Deals on My Mantel

1. Debbie Refresh Restyle June 18, 2012 at 12:57 am #

My Goodwill is on to us, us bloggers! They’ve raised prices, I’d never find these treasures for such wonderful prices! It looks gorgeous. Love the memories :)

Have a great week, I’m headed to Haven on Wednesday. I can’t wait to meet everyone, especially Layla and Kevin :) Wish you were coming!

2. Susan G June 18, 2012 at 2:45 am #

Oh Deborah this was a JOY for me to read right now! I haven’t been around much (for anyone) I post my obligations and sometimes not even them.

There is soooo much on my mind, heart and shoulders these days. how I would love to sip tea in the afternoon on a veranda over looking the sea in Cape may, and have once quiet calm afternoon with no drama or worries…reading your post and seeing your treasures made me feel like that, if only for a few minutes. :)
    thank you my friend!
    many hugs and blessings to you and yours!
    Susan

3. Susan G June 18, 2012 at 2:46 am #

PS…I too love that painting with the little dog, makes me think of our grand dog Pico…my hub’s new best friend in life :)
    Much love,
    Susan

4. Deb June 18, 2012 at 6:19 am #

Love the beach (haven’t been in a couple years – an old farmhouse had held my attention and time) and love your mantlescape!

5. Missy June 18, 2012 at 7:08 am #

Hello my sweet friend! It seems like forever since we’ve chatted…I miss your wonderful spirit and kind heart. :)
    Your mantel is lovely….it makes me remember standing on the beach, eyes closed, letting mist from the sea blow into my face and thinking how wonderful our God is to have made such a beautiful expanse of water for me to enjoy. It was the first time I’d ever seen the ocean….I had tears trickling down my face and I know people thought I was a nut case, but I stood there singing How Great Thou Art. I felt so small.
    Thanks for bringing back a rush of memories to me this morning. I want so badly to go to the beach this year, but we can’t afford a hotel stay, so I’ll just keep thinking of my “moment” on the beach and be content. :) Maybe next year my toes can sink into some warm sand.
    Love you lady
    Missy

6. Adrian June 18, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Good morning Deborah ~ Nothing better than a Good Day at the Goodwill. Your mantel looks so beachy and perfect. I know that “Pink House” as well. Love it. It reminds me that a long weekend trip to Cape May is looong overdue. I hope to make it out in July. Is it finally Summer? Dee Xo

7. Parsley June 18, 2012 at 8:46 am #

You found some real treasures! I love the print of the dog on the beach. So sweet.

I’ve been longing for saltwater breezes. Something about the ocean sounds and smells cleanses the soul.

8. Karena June 18, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Fabulous Finds, I adore the Black Spindle with the shell atop and the Painted Lady art!! Great Goodwill for sure!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

9. Jennifer June 18, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Mmm, love it, especially at those prices! and the photos are AMAZING. I always love your style Deb!!

10. Laura Ingalls Gunn June 18, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Cape May. Sigh, my yes. When I come back I will try staying at Mermaid Manor. I remember walking every day trying to drink in all the loveliness. I spied your pink lady and loved her.

Sweet Boy and I are off to the library today. Mrs. Lindbergh is on my list.

11. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog June 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Beautiful!!! I love the vintage cards and prints. And who doesn’t love a steal of a deal from the goodwill. Great mantel. :)

12. Emily June 20, 2012 at 12:15 am #

I miss goodwill hunting…hehehe

13. Angela @ Cottage Magpie June 20, 2012 at 1:31 am #

Oh, I just love those gorgeous vintage photos on your mantel! So charming! And you’ve got great thrifting juju! Really lovely.

~Angela~

14. Victoria July 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

You have such a pretty way of decorating.

I wanted to let you know I showed my mom your post on the beautiful old house that was torn down a few months ago and she’s going to paint it!

I will make sure to send you photos as she goes along. :)