Window Dressing

“All the windows of my heart I open to the day.” ~ John Greenleaf Whittier

The Fairfield House

There are 38 windows in the Fairfield House. Nearly all of them are original to the house — thick wavy glass but not well insulated — and all have the original working shutters and hardware. The first floor shutters are solid for privacy and security. All other floors have slatted shutters for ventilation. We are in the process of selecting exterior colors for the house’s long overdue paint job. Thomas has removed some shutters and is repairing, striping and prepping them. The shutter below I found on Pinterest may be meant for interior design, but it’s inspiring me to add something more to the shutters on our front porch.

decorated shutter

———

Linking to Friday’s Favorite Pin at Decor to Adore.

13 Responses to Window Dressing

1. Susan G September 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

PRETTY cool! get it? LOL
    Susan

2. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

I have a pantry in my kitchen that has a similar door. Oh to have the painting skills for such a lovely transformation!

Thank you for linking up my friend. It warms my heart.

3. ain'tforcitygals September 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Very pretty..I think they would look nice for the outside…something different but classy looking…

• Deborah September 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Sheryl, I think they would look good on the four first floor windows in the front. The best thing about paint is if I’m not happy with the results I can always paint over them!

4. 'D' September 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!

5. Rhonda @ BlueCreekHome September 3, 2012 at 1:22 am #

Oh my – the shutter is absolutely amazing. Like Laura, I would love to be able to paint like that. It is very romantic.
    Have a great week and a fun Labor Day!

6. Cindy Morris September 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I can’t wait to see what you do with your shutters and also the colors you choose for your exterior. My hubby and I aren’t going to paint this year, but are still contemplating what colors we want to spruce up our home’s palette. The painted shutter is gorgeous!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

7. Cotton Peony September 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I’d have hubby (gulp) cut it in half and make a fire screen for me during the summer months.

And I’m not sure if you wish to cover your windows as it will really darken all your rooms, maybe on the side edges?

warm hugs

Cotton Peony

• Deborah September 3, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

Cotton Peony,
      I wouldn’t consider removing the shutters, let alone cut them in half to create something else. They are original to the house, which was built in 1880. You cannot replace something that is 132 years old.
      Your Friend,
      Deborah

8. Sherry September 3, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

The shutter is lovely. I think choosing colors for painting is the hardest part of the process. We just painted the little playhouse we have for our grandchildren and I painted the shutters a deep coral. It was a color on the paint clearance table along with the tan for the house. It was a fun project.

9. Alaina September 5, 2012 at 1:02 am #

What beautiful roses, I think it looks like a Cindy Ellis painting. Can you imagine having all of your shutters looking like that, now that would look amazing.

10. Cindy Martin September 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

How beautiful is that shutter so lovely…

11. brenda November 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

The shutters look awesome I would use them on the outside I love the white paint on the house but I think light yellow(buttercream) would look awesome have you decided yet?