Constitution Day

“. . . a government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” ~ Gerald R. Ford

What makes America? We’re unique in many ways and not merely in power or wealth. More importantly we are the only nation founded upon a set of ideas and not tribal affiliation. We embrace a concept of natural rights endowed by our Creator. This isn’t merely a linguistic nicety, it is the core of our society. Government, can’t take away something it does not bestow. You were born with the right to property and the right to free speech, for example. Governments were created only to protect such rights. A simpler way of saying this is that a gang of people, however large, cannot legitimately get together and vote to steal your property or take away your right to speak.  No one can do that. Or can they?

Recently, a mob of Third World savages ransacked the U. S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya and murdered four Americans including our Ambassador, Christopher Stevens, before dragging his lifeless body through the streets. Just prior, another mob of savages invaded the sovereign soil of our embassy in Cairo, Egypt.  They managed to briefly pull down the United States flag and raise an islamic flag in its place.  While there is no doubt plenty of blame to go around for our lack of preparedness, including the disarming of the Marine guards, something else is also important to me right now. This man:

He was reportedly tracked down by the FBI as the filmmaker behind a film titled “The Innocence of Muslims”, the trailer for which supposedly provoked the “riots” overseas. It’s not clear whether the full movie actually exists or just the trailer. I say “riots” in quotes because it’s pretty clear the incidents have been coordinated terrorist attacks and not spontaneous riots.

By all accounts the film and internet trailer are horrible, poorly  made pieces of slop that no one should waste their time watching. Nevertheless, those are American law enforcement personnel taking him in for “voluntary” questioning due to parole violations. Does anyone believe that’s why he was being taken in, or that it was truly voluntary? I don’t.  And if it crossed your mind for a moment that some talentless amateur maker of awful films caused riots around the world, shame on you. It’s an unworthy thought for an American. If you can’t say things others find offensive, you aren’t free.

What crossed my mind was: “Why did the FBI track down the filmmaker?” “Why is the government asking YouTube to take the video down?”, and last but certainly not least, “Is he being questioned because he made trouble for the President of the United States?”  I’m referring here to our President, the man who swore to “Preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States”, so help him God.  Will he take the blame if the hapless filmmaker, wisely hiding his face in the photo, is murdered by fanatics? Somehow I doubt it.

Happy Constitution Day everyone. November can’t get here fast enough.

11 Responses to Constitution Day

1. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs September 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! Brilliant, Deborah!
    I second the motion! November can’t get here soon enough for me, either.
    The safety of our country depends on it.
    I’m sending this post to everyone I know.
    Thank you, Deborah.
    I wish more people would speak up as you have.
    God Bless~
    Lisa xo

2. Parsley September 18, 2012 at 3:31 am #

I am appalled at the direction of our country and of some of its people. I watched a program that mentioned this film has been out for months. The assumption is that this was planned and the film was a thinly veiled excuse….as if any excuse would warrant the riots and killings.

I could say more but I think the bottom line is that there is evil in the world and we need leaders that stand up against it, not bow to it. Our leadership is still going to send aide money and it’s apologies. As someone said, “Why pay our enemies to hate us when they’ll do it for free?”.

3. Lynne September 18, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Deborah!
    Thank you. Your words today fill my heart with courage as we head for November!
    May God bless you!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

4. Zoe Hewitt September 18, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Thank you for very publicly using your freedom of speech, some may not agree with you, but you are spot on. Plan and simple it was a terrorist attack, let us put blame where blame is due! I can only imagine how those terrorists are mocking our President and our country right now. Shame on our Government and our news media.

5. 'D' September 18, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I, for one, don’t believe that the killings and riots were do to the film that this man put out, I do believe that the riots were coordinated terrorist attacks. Our country no longer has a fitting leader, so we are thought of as weak, and we were easily taken advantage of. It will continue, until we Americans come together and vote a new President in the White House.

6. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 18, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I believe in free speech. But I am also not an idiot. A man of Egyptian descent made a “film” about Muslim’s? I am smelling a rat somewhere. It just needs to be found.

No doubt the Invisible Man is hoping for the same fate of Salman Rushdie.

I myself am APPALLED at the number of people refusing to vote because they don’t like either candidate. Fine. Then vote for Ron Paul, but at least vote. Women in particular were silenced for far too long.

At this rate our country is tumbling out of control. We the people need to at least try to get it back on track.

• Thomas September 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Laura, I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying. What’s the rat that needs to be found? Do you suspect the filmmaker of being a radical Islamist who’s in league with those stirring up violence? My understanding is that he’s a Copt, a member of one of Christianity’s oldest branches. Depending on who is doing the estimating, they comprise up to 20% (wikipedia says 10%) of Egypt’s population. If so, he certainly may have an axe to grind. Nevertheless, in my opinion that doesn’t matter. We can’t chill free speech in order to placate religious fanatics. To do so would demonstrate that being violent gets you what you want, thereby incentivizing more of it and would effectively outlaw blasphemy, but only in support of one religion.

• RHONDA September 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Just curious… does a vote for Ron Paul really help the Republican party? Seems like an odd statement. If you dont care for your candidate then don’t vote for him/her. Random voting for someone who has no chance of winning– just to vote–seems pointless.

Regarding freedom of speech, I think it’s great right up to the point where there is only hatred being spread. For example, the Ku Klux Klan, Nazi/White Supremist groups, etc… Everything is great in moderation… food, alcohol, sleeping on the couch :)…. right up to the hate someone might want to spew out of their mouth. I feel that when innocent people are being killed because of someone’s hateful, intolerant actions then maybe that someone needs to hush up (voluntarily or involuntarily) for the greater good of everyone else.

• Thomas September 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Who gets to define hatred? Disapproving of government spending is in some quarters defined as “hate speech”. Even the loathsome get to have their say or it’s not free speech. We’re equally free to ignore them. Simply because someone ought not say something does not mean they should be forbidden to say it. Innocents were murdered because a primitive culture didn’t like having their object of worship insulted. If we give in to that, we’re simply saying that violence gets you what you want. I don’t think we should give these bastards an inch. There’s only one religion today that anyone is afraid to insult and that’s Islam. Meanwhile if you’re a Christian you get to fund the submersion of the symbol of your faith in a jar of urine and have it called art. I don’t recall any rioting over that. Maybe that’s why we’re still paying for such things.

7. Rene Foust September 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks for boldly speaking out…….I couldn’t agree more. Too bad our media is so in the tank that they can’t even speak out on the injustices that are so blatantly occurring. I pray for “change” this November

8. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 19, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Hi Thomas,

I read via the LA times that the “film” has actually been out for several months now. It is believed that the attacks were planned awhile back as well.

Something is not adding up.

Such as was the film promoted to act as an excuse?

It wouldn’t be the first time our government tried to put a lid on something for “America’s benefit”.

Bottom line, the lack of a firm response from America probably all comes down to oil.