Shine On, Harvest Moon

“May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night and a smooth road all the way to your door.” ~ Irish Blessing

Cat & Moon

Hello, Friends! The first full moon closest to the Autumn Equinox, appropriately dubbed a Harvest Moon, will take center stage of tomorrow night’s sky. Although miles may separate us, we can still be together. So fill your glasses with apple cider or a harvest moon and lift them with me . While you’re filling your glass, you can listen to one of my Grammie’s favorite songs.

Here’s to the Harvest Moon and autumn bliss
To jewel toned trees
And piles of leaves
To brisk air
And blue jeans,sweaters and sneaker weather
To jack o’lanterns
Candied and carmel apples
To ghosts, goblins, and trick or treat
and pillow cases filled with sweets
To the Charlie Brown television special (when it truly was special and only showed once a year, not on demand)
To hearty stews, spicy chili, burgundy and beer
To football games and bonfires
To pumpkins, gourds and chrysanthemums
To hayrides, corn stalks mazes,
Scare crows and ravens
To having someone special to celebrate the season
To the Friends of the Fairfield House.
To shining on without rhyme or reason.

Linking to Friday’s Favorite Pin at Decor to Adore

The Power of Pinterest Pinning Party at Debbie Doo’s

Twenty Little Things I Love About Fall at The Inspired Room

12 Responses to Shine On, Harvest Moon

1. ain'tforcitygals September 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

What a great idea, Deborah! I’ll be thinking about you! xo My first date with Larry…many many years ago was on a first moon night! Since that night we have always watched the full moon come up whenever we are together (most always)…but if we are apart we both watch it separately and think good thoughts of that night…kind of nice.xo

• Deborah September 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Sheryl,
      What a wonderful ritual to celebrate your love!
      Cheers!

2. Grace @ sense and simplicity September 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I read about the Harvest Moon on The Weather Network website. Isn’t it supposed to be a Supper Harvest Moon? I’m definitely going to be looking out for it – and I’ll think of all the fellow bloggers doing the same.

• Deborah September 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Grace,
      Thanks for sharing. For the first time in almost 20 years, northern autumn is beginning on the night of a full Moon which results in a SUPER Harvest Moon!

3. Rhonda @ BlueCreekHome September 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Happy Harvest Moon to you and yours!!

I may just have to whip up some of those Harvest Moon drinks…yummy!

4. Karena September 29, 2012 at 9:59 am #

A Wonderful image Deborah, and the song contains so many of the things I adore about autumn!

xoxo
    Karena
    2012 Artist Series
    Art by Karena

• Deborah September 29, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Karena,
      The song is Shine on Harvest Moon (a 1930 version by The Southerners) I have vivid memories of my Grammy singing this.
      The collection of autumn words is a toast I wrote for all of us to raise our glasses to tonight under the Super Harvest Moon!
      Cheers!

5. Cotton Peony September 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

We’ll I’m glad that you got a peek at it.. been cloudy for days and it finally rained last night! Yippie skippie.

Raining all day again so no moon delights again.. but I’ll dream of creamy yellow globes that grow mushrooms all night!

Cute poem/song there my dear.. no wonder we all love Autumn so much!

hugs,
    Cotton Peony

6. Stephenie from Decorating addiction September 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Love the poem at the end. You capture everything I love about Fall!! We will warm our glasses of cider and toast to Fall! CHEERS!!

7. Laura Ingalls Gunn September 30, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Growing up in a farming community in N. CA. we had the most amazing harvest moons. Lovely yellows, oranges and ambers….

Your image brings back such happy memories.

8. Melissa @ The Inspired Room October 4, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Beautiful!!! I love this, thanks for linking up and joining in the party sweet lady!

9. Sue in Atlanta October 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Sure leave it to us to have a brand new fancy telescope (a birthday gift from me to the Boss) to miss this special moon….but how many times can you look through it to see a bunch of holes…..he finds it mesmerizing to just sit and stare at it…..I’m looking forward to getting the camera attachment so I can actually take some close up pictures and then frame them…..Hope all is well by you…..we are still in the 80’s down here in the Atl and I’m hoping we get some relief soon….I love fall weather…I want to wear my riding boots and my hats and not look like a nut…..I am back to blogging after many months so stop by if you get the chance…Have a good rest of the weekend…..your Southern Jersey Girl Sue…..