Surviving Sandy

“The devastation on the Jersey Shore is some of the worst we’ve ever seen. The cost of the storm is incalculable at this point.” ~ New Jersey Governor Chris Christie

Deer on Monmouth Beach

Deer on Monmouth Beach

Hello friends! I’m just sending up a flare to let you know that we are safe. Thank you for all the emails, messages on Facebook and prayers.

On Saturday we received notice for voluntary evacuation. We prepared for the worst but hoped for the best possible outcome. Thomas decided he was not going to abandon ship and sent me on my way, which turned out to be the same destination as Sandy. (I grew up and still own a home in Ocean County and have family there.)

Casino Pier Seaside Heights Boardwalk

Casino Pier, Seaside Heights Boardwalk

Boardwalk in Atlantic City

Boardwalk in Atlantic City

The Fairfield House is still standing. A room off our kitchen which was originally a porch but enclosed by one of the previous owners lost part of its ceiling/roof. We had planned on replacing it later rather than sooner–it’s been disintegrating since the day we moved in. The roof has no pitch which causes rain and snow to accumulate and eventually ends up on my hardwood floors. All things considered,we are blessed. We still have our home, something not true for so many in the city where I was born or the town, beaches and boardwalks where I grew up.

Fisher Blvd, Toms River

Fisher Blvd, Toms River

Ship Bottom, Long Beach Island

Ship Bottom, Long Beach Island

Home in Fortescue, NJ

Home in Fortescue, NJ

Lucy

Lucy Survived the Storm

Family, friends, and neighbors have experienced the devastation and are in desperate need of life’s basics — food, dry clothes, disposable diapers for babies, blankets. To donate to the relief effort, visit www.redcross.org or call 800-RED- CROSS. Donations of $10 can also be added to your cellphone bill by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999. For information, visit redcross.org or http:// blog.redcross.org.

22 Responses to Surviving Sandy

1. Lynn @thevintagenest November 4, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Thank goodness you are okay! My son, too ,is in N.J. and experienced bad stuff but he and his wife are safe and sound. The damage is just unimaginable and please know you and all there are in our prayers. xo

2. 'D' November 4, 2012 at 11:19 am #

So happy to hear from you, I tried to not fill up email boxes for all of those from Jersey & N.Y., it was hard to not reach out, but I hoped and prayed for the best, for everyone.
    We were truly blessed, we didn’t get any water in our yard at all, a complete mystery to us, since our yard has always been flooded when we had heavy rain. We never lost power, phone or cable, we just don’t understand why. ???? We are so thankful, but surprised. It’s hard NOT to feel guilty when we see how bad it is for so many others. Our nephew, in Long Island, lost his house, he just finished a re-do after getting flooded from Irene last year. Our prayers went out to all who were affected at church this morning, and we are having a special service at 2 this afternoon. Stay safe and know that my thoughts are prayers are with you.

3. Stephenie from Decorating addiction November 4, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Deborah- I’m so glad you are ok! I was worried about you. I’m so sorry to see all of the damage and devastation to NJ. I’m keeping everyone in my prayers. Thank you for posting this.

Stephenie

4. ain'tforcitygals November 4, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Oh my!! I have been thinking about you and glad that things are half way ok…except for two months of our summers we are so spoiled in Arizona!! xoxo

5. Cotton Peony November 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

A very big hug for you and your familys safety. It’s not what we have that counts, it’s the spirit and soul that survives that most important. May God grant you the most Grace you can endure right now as you recover and help others see what can be born from this.

Much love and hugs for you!!!!

Love,
    Cotton Peony

6. Debbie refresh resytle November 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

The devastation is awful and I know it will take a long time for recovery! I am happy to hear that you’re ok! I’m contributing to the Red Cross, these times make you feel so helpless, when you know there are so many in need! I am going to share your post and keep you all in my prayers!
    Debbie

7. Missy November 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

I am so relieved to hear you’re ok…I’ve been a worried mess! I kept telling TJ I wished I could know if you were alright and if your home suffered any damage…I even googled your address and where Sandy hit. I am SO relieved…I was praying for you. I feel terrible for all the loss of lives and homes…..it is unimaginable to me what all those poor people must be going through. My heart and prayers go out to each one of them…..like I said, I just can’t even imagine.
    Love you lots and just know your precious homeplace and it’s people are in my prayers.
    Missy

8. betsy November 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

I have been following on the t.v. horrible stories about this storm and what it has done to so many people, terribly sad. I am so happy to read your post about you and your family coming through it all safe. I am praying for everyone there.
    Thanks for posting items as a reminder of what is needed and how to help.
    Many hugs – Betsy

9. Kim P November 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I’m happy to see that you made it through the storm with minimal damange and no injuries. I’ve, personally, never been to the Jersey Shore area but it’s still really heart breaking to see reports of all the damage and hear the stories of so much loss.

10. Parsley November 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Glad to know you are okay. Hope you have power back…or at least soon.

11. Jane @ Cottage at the Crossroads November 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Deborah, the devastation is just heartbreaking, but I am so relieved that you are ok. I am participating in giving at my church through the United Methodists. The only thing I can compare to this is when Hurricane Hugo came through our state many years ago. Recovery takes a long time but the true strength and courage of people really comes through during a time like this.

12. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs November 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Hi Deborah~

We just had our power restored not long ago. You have been in my thoughts and prayers as well, but I wasn’t able to reach out to you due to our power outages and massive clean up.
    This has been one of the scariest storms I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. We were devastated to wake up to trees down, parts of the house on the other side of the property…. None of this seems important when I think of all my friends who have lost their homes at the Jersey Shore, NY. Absolutely tragic, to say the least.
    Our thoughts and prayers go to those who were not as fortunate as we were.
    Love and huge hugs to you, my friend. Stay warm! xo

13. Adrian November 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Hi Deborah ~ What a relief to know you are safe. This has been such a very sad and (for lack of any poetic words) CRAPPY week!! We did not receive any where near such a blow as NJ & NY did, but just devastating losses all around. All I could think of was that sometime in the near future, there will be a PBS documentary about this. I have to say that the photo of the shark is incredible – imagine! So tired, I am at a loss for words. We are all simply very happy that you have survived. Please tell me that the Lovely Gingerbread Ladies on the shore of Cape May have not sustained too much damage.
    Your friend ~ Dee

14. Lynne November 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Sooooo relieved to see The Fairfield House pop up on my sidebar. Thank the Lord!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

15. Anne November 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Oh Deborah I am so glad you are safe! I had lots of people praying for you and Thomas! Asking for prayer today for Linda at Prairie Flower Farm. Someone stole her sons truck while they were having cupcakes in the park for her daughters birthday! He paid it off last week and his little kids are just devastated! They had to take various family in separate cars and Linda’s car ran out of gas! Not a good day!
    It is good to know you are safe. I know so many were not so fortunate. The devastation is unreal. It always is. Thank you for all your shares today and God Bless you and Thomas. A new roof is a minor inconvenience isn’t it? I am so glad you are both ok!
    Thank God for good friends and a small blessing of safety for you and yours! I am so sorry for the loss others have experienced. So sad. Always praying!

16. Rhoda@ Southern Hospitality November 5, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Deborah, so glad you made it through this horrific storm, with minor damage. I’ve never been through anything like this, so I can’t even imagine the fear and pain of dealing with the aftermath. Hoping for a speedy recovery process for all who were harmed. Prayers are with you all!

17. Cass at That Old House November 5, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Deborah — it is SO good to hear from you.
    We were very lucky in our small corner of northern NJ — only lost power several times, just for a few hours each time. Amazing. All around us? Many still in the dark.

We too lost some roofing, but just shingles; we are low on the list of priorities for the local roofers, but I totally understand that. Otherwise — some gutters down, some leaking in the sunroom, and a broken cellar window. Compared to others — we are so incredibly lucky.

My sister got out to our beach house on Long Island yesterday — house OK, water in crawl space and garage, and the floating dock all twisted up and the stairs missing. Again — LUCKY.

SO glad to hear you are safe and sound, and it’s just your roof that has the damage. This was one terrible storm — I can’t wrap my head around how long and cleanup and rebuilding will be. Friends of ours have a house just a block or so from Lucy in Margate — they were there all weekend, pulling out all the flood ruined things, the broken fences and decks — but they too are lucky, their house still stands.

My home state of NY and my adopted NJ — so much hurt.

Mother Nature is beautiful, and also terrifying.
    Cass

18. Laura Ingalls Gunn November 5, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Dear friend Deborah,

I spent most of Monday – Thursday worried sick for my friends and family. Praying around the clock. As you may recall I have family on the east coast and someone very special who travels to the east coast for work. I also have a very special place in my heart for not just New Jersey but for whom I consider it’s most precious resident.

A shark swimming near someones home. Unbelievable.

I will be sending a care package asap.

19. Zuzu November 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

I have been so worried about you, and am relieved to hear that you are safe.
    Zuzu

20. rene foust November 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

I have been wondering and hoping that you were ok!

21. Michelle Hughes November 6, 2012 at 1:11 am #

I have been hoping deep in my heart that everything was okay :) Those photos are jsut devastating.

22. Terri November 6, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Sooooooo glad to hear that you guys are safe and survived with minimal damage….. I have checked your blog several times over the last few days…. WHEW…. Good to hear you are okay… but indeed all the loss is just unbelieveable!!! Very Sad … Thank you for your post