Getting It Good and Hard

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” ~ H. L. Mencken

National_Association_Against_Woman_Suffrage

Happy Election Day, friends! I hope you all exercised your right to vote. I’ve heard so many people say they weren’t voting because they are not happy with the choices; that it’s a ritual of picking the lesser of two evils. Perhaps they believe a message is being sent by not voting. The only message I am receiving is that they don’t care about the future of the country.

In honor of the day I want to share my antique collection of campaign buttons that I discovered while treasure hunting.

Campaign Buttons

I’ll be adding another one to it tonight.

Romney Ryan Button

There are some interesting items in the news tonight:

I hope you voted like your future depended on it, because it does.

13 Responses to Getting It Good and Hard

1. Lynne November 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

I voted for love of country and not revenge. I love your courage and your patriotic heart, Deborah. That collection is amazing!
    Romney / Ryan 2012
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

2. Parsley November 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

For love of country, I voted.

3. Sue in Atlanta November 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

another vote for the country down here in Georgia…..the Boss said if the election goes bad it’s all your Governors fault…..my night has been like watching an episode of the Sopranos….a a lot of cursing and giving the ever popular Jersey double finger to the t.v. screen every time Bob Beckel speaks….it’s going to be a long night!!

• Karena November 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Deborah we’re in the same camp. The governments overall reaction to the crisis on the east coast just shows that with all of this debt we are called upon to give to help with disaster …..I am happy to..however there is way too much waste especially the $ spent on these campaigns! Hundreds and hundreds of millions.

xoxo
      Karena
      2012 Artists Series

• Thomas November 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

I agree, it will be Christie’s fault. He’s only conservative by New Jersey political standards and that’s not saying much. If I had a better choice, I’d be voting it.

4. Anne November 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

I voted simply because I love my country and I worked in the political arena as a young woman and I know how truly evil the whole process is! I trusted God to give me the wisdom and I made my choice because of that!

Your button collection is wonderful!

Very proud of our youngest son in college in Kansas. He did all his own research and voted for the best candidate! It was his first vote!

Asking for prayer for Nick because he is going to run in the national championship in IL. this Saturday Nov 10th for XC with his team. We are so proud!

5. Stephenie from Decorating addiction November 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Deborah ,

I voted and am thankful we live in a country where we have such an amazing gift. Love your button collection! I heard a whole discussion on NPR once on political button collections. Very cool!!!

Best,
    Stephenie

6. betsy November 6, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

I voted for love of country, I know it’s probably not nice to say but looks to me like some people in the voting lines here have been dragged to the polls in a stupor of some sorts, not sure it it’s the drink or drugs. Maybe a test of some sort should be given to see if people know enough to vote,
    All the money spent on the campaigns and we got the same thing. Can’t believe it!
    I love your button collection.
    Betsy

7. Terry November 7, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Howdy

Wow
    I have prayed for all that is within my ability as the threat of Sandy loomed before you for salvation to one and all in the pathway of this storm.
    Than I began to pray for all Americans to search for the meaning a vote as an American citizen .
    I cannot even begin to share my heart’s concern ,but I too voted for love of country !!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is so far beyond me that anyone could vote for revenge .
    May we all vote as mature Americans !
    Love and blessings to you and yours :)
    Until next time
    Happy Trails
    Big hugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Terri November 7, 2012 at 9:13 am #

WELL SAID……………………….. I vote.. because it is a priviledge … I love my country… and take voting as a serious responsibility…. It would do us alll good to read up on the the nations and peoples that are not allowed a “say” in how their country is run. God bless America!! Terri

9. Laura Ingalls Gunn November 7, 2012 at 9:59 am #

That collection is FABULOUS! There was a recent article in Country Living about election paraphernalia.

The presidential election was just one of over 50 different elections on my ballot that I exercised my right to vote in. So I wasn’t thrilled with the choices either (although truth be told I could wear your button) but I researched and found something I believed in. One category I selected my “winner” was senator. The man I voted for was simply because he was the man that helped me tour the White House last November. I figure if his staff cared enough to do that for me….

As for those who say “Well. I hate the crowds…” ME TOO! Which is why I register as an early voter by mail.

In other topics. I was up in the middle of the night last night worried. Seems another storm is headed your way. I’ll be praying.

10. Cass at That Old House November 8, 2012 at 8:59 am #

Good Second-Morning-After, Deborah.

Love the button collection. Oh my, if people think today’s election campaigns are vitriolic and negative, they should go back to the days when OUR houses were built — it was pretty much wide open and the most outrageous statements were made about opponents. No fact checkers back then.

I, too, voted for love of country, because of the basic core philosophical divide between our two major parties.

As for Governor Christie, if you are depending on the feds to bring their A game to your disaster area, you probably should flatter the Chief. And of course, then you find out the feds don’t HAVE an A game to bring.

Much snow by you?
    Not bad here, a couple of inches that are rapidly melting. Found out we need our entire roof replaced, there were so many “blow-offs,” which apparently is roofing-guy-speak. Although it makes me think of something entirely different.

It’s sunny here, and I’m going to be happy.
    One more good choice. :-)
    All the best, love the post!
    Your friend, Cass

11. Zuzu November 11, 2012 at 9:26 am #

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are.
    Smart Set (December 1919) H. L. Mencken

My father and I were talking over the phone several weeks before the elections. He was telling me about a swarm behavior study…

Interesting read.