Here and Now

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin

Hello, my friends! I hope the sun is shining on your little corner of the world today. It’s a beautiful fall day at the Fairfield House. The maple tree tosses golden leaf confetti every time I pass by and the wild thing, now dubbed Puss E. Cat amuses herself by chasing the wind.

Puss E. Cat

Last week was a different story. Still recovering from Hurricane Sandy’s blow, we were hit with a Nor’easter that delivered snow. I am usually overjoyed at seeing the season’s first snow flakes, but all I could think of were the people left homeless or still without power.

First Snow

When I returned to the Fairfield House after the hurricane, I discovered that even some animals had lost their homes.

Nest

Scout and I came upon a swan that has relocated in the aftermath of Sandy to the pond on the property between the house and river.

Swan

Swan Close

Sleeping Swan

I don’t think animals experience the same sense of loss that we do. They are focused on the moment, not recalling the past or anticipating the future. If they weren’t present in their life, they would never be able to survive. Animals adapt and adjust. Life goes on in the here and now—what a wonderful place to be.

15 Responses to Here and Now

1. Debbie Refresh Restyle November 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I could learn a lot from them :) I hope you’re doing well!
    Debbie

2. Lizy November 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

I love this post Deborah…simple yet so beautiful and inspiring…I agree with you, I don’t think they (animals) experience loss at the same level we do…but they must “feel” something..whatever that something is, the survival instinct is stronger and allows them to overcome adversity and move on. Perhaps when you are alone in the world…like your new neighbor The Swan, moving on is the only thing that keeps you sane and alive! Warm Regards :)

3. Parsley November 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

Beautiful post. The swan photos make me reflect on deep things and leaves me speechless.

4. Laura Ingalls Gunn November 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Oh a swan! How lovely. Although I wonder, did it lose its mate?

I am ever so glad you are now in recovery mode from the storm.

5. Sue in Atlanta November 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Puss E. Cat…..best name for a cat ever…is this your wild cat?….we went out today to Petsmart and got our Miss Kitty or BooBoo as the Boss calls her a little igloo style house for her to keep warm in….and a food dispenser for when we go away for the holidays…I hate to think she would be hungry while we are away for so long…she still refuses to come in the house…maybe some day and then we might find out if she’s a she or a he!

6. Karena November 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Deborah I hope you are recovering from this tragic event! I canot even imagine how difficult it must be? Is there anything I can do?

xoxo
    Karena
    A Special Scalamandre Giveaway

7. Lisa Jochim November 15, 2012 at 1:58 am #

What a beautiful new neighbor. I live in Holland and have the gift of having many swans that live in the lake behind my house. They are stunning! Just be careful with your pets as they are quite vicious. Enjoy the beauty and your day. Lisa… American girl in Holland :)

8. kathleen November 15, 2012 at 2:17 am #

Hi Debra: So glad to hear from you. We lost power for about 8 days, but nothing in comparison to those that lost everything. So terribly sad.

It appears that you are well. Did you leave the house before the hurricane?
    Best to you,
    Kathy

9. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs November 15, 2012 at 5:19 am #

It’s hard to grasp what we are experiencing here on the east coast. Many of my friends are just having their power restored now. I can’t imagine…but far worse are those who have no power at all because they have no home to return to. Devastating.
    We encourage everyone to do as much as they can for these people who are in our prayers daily. Something…ANYTHING will help.
    So happy to know you are safe…
    Wishing you and yours a Happy, blessed Thanksgiving.
    We have so much to be thankful for…
    Love,
    Lisa xo

10. Deb November 15, 2012 at 6:46 am #

So good to hear from you and know you have weathered this storm.

11. 'D' November 15, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Good Morning Deborah,

It’s a very quiet morning here in our neighborhood, there isn’t even a falling leave, as I look out the window, although there are plenty of them on the ground. I am surprised that the Feather Leaf Maples, in our yard, look so red and haven’t lost a leave yet. The Dogwood Trees have turned more orange than I’ve seen them in the past, and the Fring Trees are now a bright yellow. Mother Nature is still showing her beauty, even though our neighboring states of New Jersey and New York were hit so hard. Unlike so many, we have a lot to be thankful for this year. May GOD BLESS US, especially all of those that have lost so much.

12. Jane @ Cottage at the Crossroads November 15, 2012 at 7:55 am #

My heart goes out to everyone who lost their home, including the animals! So glad to know you are well and that life continues on at the Fairfield House.

13. Kim P November 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

I’m glad to hear that you came through the storm without any significant loss. And, yes, I believe we could learn alot from the animals around us. We are too focused on the material stuff of our lives which makes it so difficult to focus on change when it’s necessary for everyday survival.

14. Lisa November 17, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Deboroh,

You Know I Love You and Thank God You and your family where safe. I would love to see your Farmhouse Hon I’m sharing Farmhouses today!! Go Run outside real quick ,take a pic then run back in and post to me lol have a Blessed day!! Lisa

15. Zuzu November 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

I think that is the secret… focusing on the moment. How much we can learn from our animal neighbors!
    Beautiful photos and thoughts, Deborah!