Dinner With Aleathea

“The human soul can always use a new tradition. Sometimes we require them.” ~ Pat Conroy, The Lords of Discipline

Today, like every day since living at the Fairfield House, I took my accustomed walk, aware of my many blessings and grateful for each one.

Autumn Trees

Blue Heron

Look closely and you’ll see a blue heron in this photo.

This is especially appropriate today when our entire nation is gathered with loved ones to acknowledge blessings, give thanks and break bread together. It’s a day of tradition—shared histories, recipes, and rituals. However, the only constant in life is change: death, divorce, families and friends separated by distance and obligations to
work, school, or our military leave many people melancholy and longing for those shared moments others may take for granted.

Thomas and I started a new tradition last year when everyone else in our circle had other commitments. We go to Aleathea’s Restaurant located within the Inn of Cape May.

Inn of Cape May

Welcome to Aleathia's

1894

Ocean View

You can of course order from the menu, but they also offer the unique option of pre-ordering an entire turkey when you make your reservation. It is served family style with all the fixings and dessert while you enjoy Alethea’s exquisite turn-of-the-century shore-town charm. The best thing is you get leftovers even though you didn’t spend the day in the kitchen!

Salad

Carving the Turkey

Our masterful carver Rob readies the main course at table-side.

Dinner is Served

Dessert Arrives

Our wonderful server Vicki brought our delicious desserts.

The food is delicious, the service superb and if you want to be lulled to sleep by the sea after being stuffed with turkey, you can always spend the night at the Inn of Cape May. There is a standing invitation to our family and friends to join us and today my mother was a part of our celebration.

Inn of Cape May Lobby

I hope you all enjoyed a good meal and good company while counting your blessings. Begin each day, end each day, and live each day with a thankful heart and you will become more aware of all of life’s blessings.

9 Responses to Dinner With Aleathea

1. Sue in Atlanta November 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving!! what a cool idea….I have never heard of such a great idea….I think one of the reasons people don’t go out to eat on Thanksgiving because there won’t be left overs when you get home….love this!….I cooked the littlest turkey I could find it was all of 7 pounds…it’s just the two of us but the Boss just asked me (and I just finished doing all the dishes and pots and pans) when can he have more stuffing…I’m exhausted and he didn’t buy it that the kitchen is closed……How is it on LBI…have you been able to go out there yet to check things out…we are anxious to here what the place looks like…My crazy daughter is driving down to AC in the morning for the weekend….My poor car is screaming to come back to Georgia….

2. dee November 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving Deborah,
    It sounds like you had a great day. I have had the privilige of dining at Aletheas myself on several occasions. I just love the entire experience. And afterwards returning to my comfy room upstairs. What a great place. I would actually love to get in one more weekend before the Holidays.
    Have a great weekend ~ Dee

3. Rhonda @ BlueCreekHome November 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving. After spending a couple of hours yesterday chopping onions and celery, washing and drying the big ole bird, baking the cornbread for the dressing, and clearing off all of the junk on the formal dining table – I still spent the entire morning in the kitchen – over ate – then spent another hour clearing, washing, loading, trying to find lids for containers, and the part I hate the most – getting the rest of the turkey and ham off the bones…ugh! And, there y;all were all kicked back in fancy-ville – Maybe, it’s time for a new tradition around here! : )
    The Inn looks like a wonderful place. I am going back to visit the links you gave us.
    I am thankful for friends like you!

4. Jennifer November 23, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Sounds like a plan to me!!! I’m tempted to take the family to NJ next Thanksgiving!!!
    Ours was a “working” Thanksgiving; Mom, Dad and I spent time on orders while Erick cooked, bless his amazing heart. It was simple; pot pie, cranberry sauce, stuffing and rolls. And then 4 dessert pies; one purchased from a church bake sale, 2 from my mom in law and one Erick made…Ryan said “Today is a day of Pies Galore!!” :-) It was a simple but wonderful day!
    So Thankful for you Deborah!!!

5. Parsley November 23, 2012 at 8:43 am #

Remind me to come to YOUR place next Thanksgiving! Looks WONDERFUL!

6. Stephenie November 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Wow – that place and that meal look incredible. I love the idea that you can get a whole Turkey and take the leftovers home!

I’m glad you and Thomas have such a lovely tradition and that your mom was able to join you. Thank you for reminding us all to be grateful EVERY day.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,
    Stephenie

7. Kate {Starr Family} November 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Now that is certainly how one should order/eat turkey… beautiful! What a charming place and I have no doubt, worth every calorie?

Hope you are doing well!

8. Lisa Palmese November 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

That just looks Amazingly Decadent.What a beautiful way to spend Thanksgiving and still look around and be so Thankful. You are an Amazing Woman whom I admire and I don’t admire many. I am still waiting one I know for My Autographed Book that You are destined to write.
    Love You like a Sisiter
    Lisa

9. Laura Ingalls Gunn December 2, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I somehow missed this. Probably because I was in Santa Fe. :) I love this place. It was so much fun.