Un-Seasonable

“Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.” ~ Peg Bracken

Bulb Box

Regardless of what blogs, Facebook and Pinterest say, autumn doesn’t end until December 21; that is especially obvious on this unusual but beautiful 68 degree December day. Still, I have been busy preparing for Christmas and the New Year. I say this although I have yet to get a Christmas tree and my mantle is bare. I have not created any crafts or gifts,  nor have I baked a single cookie.

Today I accepted His Christmas presence and finished planting over 350 bulbs. Planting a bulb is an act of faith, a display of showing one’s trust in Him for the coming year. They won’t bloom until spring 2013. As the days grow colder and the ground freezes, dormant bulbs will root and grow until they peek out of the soil in search of spring sunlight. My faith in the future makes planting them today worthwhile.

Garden Stone

As I prepped the soil in the flower beds, I readied myself for Christmas. While clearing away the dead remains of previous seasons, I made sure there was room in my heart for His love and that it wasn’t filled with debris that won’t nourish or promote growth.

I considered what Christmas means to me and I implore you to do the same. Are you losing the meaning in the details? Are you in such a rush to achieve the perfect holiday that you were part of the human stampede at a Black Friday sale mere hours after giving thanks for what you already have? Between decorating, shopping, baking, hosting parties, and exchanging gifts please pause and remember the reason for the season.

—–

Bertibea is a new blog holding a giveaway. Please stop by and welcome Emily to the blogging community.

11 Responses to Un-Seasonable

1. Emily December 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

I love the comparison of the bulbs to your faith. Beautiful post!

2. Stephenie from Decorating addiction December 4, 2012 at 12:37 am #

Thank you Deborah, for helping us all keep everything in perspective. I love reading your writing and enjoy your wisdom. I look forward to seeing those flowers in the Spring!

3. kathleen December 4, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Deborah: This is an excellent post! Your thoughts and sentiments ring true.
    I had to plant bulbs right before Hurricane Sandy or the ground would have become too hard to dig through. Fortunately, I did it. I don’t view gardening as a chore just to “look good”. I do it as an act of love for the Earth. Worms and other earthlings benefit, as well as the occasional squirrel : )
    Your comparison to giving thanks and then hours later rushing the doors at Walmart is so true. Your post should be printed in the newspaper for all to see. Sincerely.

Question: where did you purchase your flower bulb tin? I have been looking for one like that for years. It’s so sweet, as you are.
    Best Regards to you,
    Kathy

4. Jennifer December 4, 2012 at 7:06 am #

beautiful Deb!!

5. Parsley December 4, 2012 at 7:32 am #

This is very touching to me. I think I will ask Santa for some bulbs.

6. Laura Ingalls Gunn December 4, 2012 at 8:30 am #

On Friday Sweet Boy brought home a card from the angel tree. He said, mom this girl is 6 years old and wants shoes for Christmas. Shoes.

It really put it in perspective.

Since that time I find it ever harder to shop for elaborate gifts. When people ask what I want…well that is easy….may every angel tree child get exactly what they wish for and then some.

7. Wyatt December 4, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Lovely Post.
    We garden year-round and still have some bulbs to plant as well. It is nice to be outside in December and take time to reflect and enjoy nature.

Wyatt’s mom

8. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs December 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Beautifully written, my dear friend.
    He is the reason for the season, and too often we lose sight of what’s important, especially at this time of year
    The Holidays are bittersweet for me….recalling Christmas’ past with my family and those who are no longer with us.
    It truly is wonderful to make our own special memories with our children…but there’s something about this time of year that conjures up such raw emotions for me.
    It is my beloved Mother’s birthday today, God rest her soul. I’d like to think she and my wonderful dad are still with us this year…and every year.
    Faith is a wonderful gift.
    So get out those cookie sheets and start baking already!!! :) I’m sure your daughter can show us all a thing or two with her wonderful culinary skills! :) I’m always looking for new recipes…hint..hint.
    Wishing you a beautiful week, my wonderful friend.
    Lisa xo

9. Michelle Hughes December 5, 2012 at 1:00 am #

love your words :) really can’t think of a better way to describe Advent than you did here :)

10. Sue in Atlanta December 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

What a lovely post….to match a lovely lady…

11. Kim @ Twice Remembered January 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Can I just say how much I love your thoughts? I appreciate how you always look at the bigger picture *and* the little things that should be the big things for all of us. And I can’t wait to see those flowers!

Much love to you!