This and That

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” ~ Edith Sitwell

Happy February! Thank you for your comments on the last post and for sharing your personal experiences of how others saved you in times of need. Your stories left fingerprints on my heart.

It’s another snow day at the Fairfield House. Mother Nature tucked us in last night under a thick white blanket. I woke up to this view.

Snow View

Puss E. Cat must have told others about her “three hots and a cot” because this week another feral cat has been spotted. Princess Arianna has dubbed this one Kit E Cat. Unfortunately, it’s people and camera shy so I have no portraits to share yet. We will take it to the local vet and have it vaccinated as well as spayed or neutered to prevent the Fairfield House cat stats from increasing.

Puss E. Cat

Apparently the local birds have also been spreading the word.

Winter Birds

I am not a big television viewer but last year my sweet friend Laura got me hooked on Downton Abbey. Are you watching? If not, you must! I liken it to reading a favorite novel and have come to know and love the well cast characters and the lives they lead. I strongly recommend if you aren’t watching it yet, to view the first two seasons before you begin the new one.

DowntonAbbey

Are you or someone you know looking for a new camera? Emily purchased this for a photography class she never took. Too much time has passed for her to return it. She’s including the case and strap that she purchased separately. It’s a great deal for someone!

Fujifilm FinePix S4300

Tonight is an ideal evening for stew! I’ve tried many different recipes and this is everyone’s favorite. It’s easy to prepare and delicious. I will serve it with warm biscuits.

Stew and Biscuit

I apologize for the delay in mailing the Susan Branch calendars but they were on back order. I’ve since received them. Some have already been mailed and the remainders will go out this week.

Calendar

Today is Groundhog Day. Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow so according to folklore, spring will come early; if he had winter weather would have continued for six more weeks. According to Fairfield House past experience, let sleeping ground hogs sleep! If you wake them, run like hell!

groundhog

12 Responses to This and That

1. Parsley February 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Wow. The snow is beautiful! I love when snow gathers on branches, it’s almost magical.

2. kathleen February 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

We only received a dusting of snow. How I wish we were full of snow such as you are. Maybe tonight.
    That stew looks mighty good and comforting on a winter’s night. We always light a candle on the dining table as we eat dinner. It adds to the comfort.

You always write such interesting posts. I really enjoy stopping by to read each and every one. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

3. Pat Peele February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Love the snow pictures…. As long as they are not in upstate SC!! I am so impressed that you are caring for and neutering the feral cats.
    The stew looks so yummy.

4. Sherry February 3, 2013 at 9:50 am #

The snow looks so beautiful. We have not had much here this year, just a sprinkling. I love to make soups and stews in the winter. It is cold here so I made a pot of chili yesterday and split pea soup last week. Your stew looks yummy, I am going to check out your recipe. My hubby and I are hooked on Downton Abby. We did get the first two seasons from our local library first though.

5. Maggie February 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Love the snow when it first falls. It’s like a present if I am the first one to see it in the morning. So missed coming and visiting here. I feel ya about the groundhogs. I am going to be going to war with the ones who live under the deck this year. Their eviction notice is waiting to be delivered! The stew looks so good! Love comfort food on a cold, snowy day.

6. lisa moran/Bilancia Designs February 4, 2013 at 5:17 am #

Hi Deborah~
    It looks like you had a lot more snow than we have in NJ. Ours was mainly a dusting…but still beautiful to see. I can do without the extreme, frigid temps, however.
    Since we’ve moved into an old farmhouse, we’ve inherited the most adorable cats. I have four that stay on the porch with big, comfy “homes” I’ve made for them…and another five who live in the stables with the horses. They’ve carved quite a lovely duplex into the hay! :)
    All have been “fixed”, with shots to boot, as we have the pleasure of living next to a vet (life doesn’t get much better than this!).
    I wish had had known about Emily’s camera…my husband just bought me one.
    Hope you’re staying warm and counting down the days until Spring as I am.
    I hope you like the heart… perfect timing for Valentine’s Day! :)
    xoxo

7. Zuzu February 4, 2013 at 8:12 am #

We borrowed season 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey from the library – can’t wait to see 3!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will get more snow. It has been such a mild winter here.Watch out for those crazy groundhogs, Deborah!
    Zuzu

8. Laura Ingalls Gunn February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Here I am my friend! With 3 college classes and launching a book my free computer time has gone way down.

I did think of you on February 2nd. :)

You are the champion of animals my friend! I know it must take a tremendous amount of work to win the trust of your furry friends. But how I applaud you for coming to their rescue and doing the very best in controlling the population.

I sit here envying your view of such a lovely red flighted friend. But I am not shoveling snow so I guess I will focus on that. :)

Thank you for your kind mention. Downton Abbey is peer pressure of the very best kind.

Be well, happy and blessed and know you are in my thoughts.

9. Emily February 10, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks for sharing these neat things with us! I love the picture of the birds.

10. Rene Foust February 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

The snow looks beautiful and I sure do hope that I get at least one good snowfall this year. I wanted to say thanks so very much for the Susan branch calendar; I absolutely love it and it was so very kind of you. Thanks again

11. Jami March 6, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Beautiful snow. We are so blessed to live in the northeast. I don’t think I could ever leave. I would miss the seasons too much. You made me giggle with “three hots and a cot” for the kitties. (My husband is a corrections officer.) Kit E. Cat is lucky to have you looking out for her/him. And YES, I was totally addicted to Downton Abbey thanks to all the buzz on facebook. I’m so bummed that we have to wait an entire year for season 4. It’s so nice to have a great storyline and interesting characters, etc. I’m so over this reality TV craze. O.V.E.R. it. xo

12. Michael Letnik May 18, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

This and That huh? Sounds vaguely familiar! :)