“. . . a government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” ~ Gerald R. Ford What makes America? We’re unique in many ways and not merely in power or wealth. More importantly we are the only nation founded upon a set […]
Classic—a book which people praise and don’t read. ~ Mark Twain Readers may have noticed that we’re more than somewhat fond of of the old-fashioned at the Fairfield House. It’s not so much that we’re trying to move backwards as we find it a useful way to look to the future. You can’t after all, […]
“Beware of the young doctor and the old barber.” ~ Ben Franklin Men, it’s clear the country is going to hell in a hand basket. I admit I don’t really know what that is, but you have to agree it sounds like an undignified way to arrive. All the other damned souls are going to […]
Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful, that’s what matters to me. ~ Steve Jobs The creative genius that saved Apple Computer has passed away. Steve Jobs is dead at the age of 56. By all accounts an intensely driven perfectionist and […]
A morning without coffee is like sleep. ~ unknown I’m a very health conscious man, and as part of my fitness lifestyle I like to stick to the original four food groups; yes, those would be sugar, fat, caffeine and alcohol (not necessarily in that order). Like most health zealots, Deborah and I want to […]
Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt Do you know this man? I’m willing to bet you do. I’ll explain in a moment. I know that many, perhaps most, of the readers of this blog are women, but this […]
“If I had to live my life over, I’d live over a saloon.” ~ W. C. Fields The world of the 1890s was a very different place from our modern era, in some ways worse and in some ways better. You can’t help knowing when looking at the rough customers below that they were a […]
“They want me, but they can’t have me.” ~ Don Draper Good grief, every Sunday night, it’s the same thing. I’ve just had it with that dog. He won’t stop smoking in bed, he’s chasing strange tail all over the neighborhood, he’s been drinking my whiskey, and no matter what he says I REFUSE to […]
“Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.” ~ Thomas Jefferson On July 4, we celebrate our independence from Great Britain. While it’s a fine thing to celebrate our liberation from the rule of a man whose claim to authority is inherited, it’s worthwhile to ponder what our freedom means. […]
Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered – either by themselves or by others. ~ Mark Twain It’s certainly no secret that Deborah and I are in love with old homes, and with this home in particular. I find that the things of the past put the present in perspective and help focus my attention […]
- Butterfly Effect June 11, 2013
- Here’s Looking at You, Kid March 25, 2013
- Shaken and Stirred March 20, 2013
- This and That February 2, 2013
- Food For Thought January 26, 2013
- Long Live the Levoy January 15, 2013
- Cottage Charm Giveaway May 4, 2011
- Reader Appreciation Give Away August 8, 2012
- May Days and Giveaways May 1, 2010
- Reader Appreciation Give Away #2 August 14, 2012
- Reader Appreciation Give Away #4 August 30, 2012
- Reader Appreciation Give Away #5 September 4, 2012
- Laura Ingalls Gunn: I somehow missed this. Probably because I was in S...
- Lisa Palmese: Deborah, That just looks Amazingly Decadent.What ...
- Nicole: Featuring this on my Spookily Ever After page of D...
- Sandra: Did your Mom like all her butterflies? Not sure if...
- Lisa Palmese: What a Beautiful Home and what a Beautiful Job you...
- Maggie: Ugh! I missed this and I miss you my dear friend!...